The Co-Op at Glastonbury

stuartbert two hats

2 hours ago, timbrass said:

I was talking to a Co-Op manager who works on Festivals.  They said they would be selling crates of beer at Glastonbury (but not any brands that have a franchise on site). They are strict on age verification and confiscated more than 230 fake IDs at Reading Festival.  Meal Deals are a big seller along with Instant Noodles.  To prevent fraud they have a system where they take the receipt from you as you exit to prevent you nipping back in and picking up a second item. At Reading they were taking about £10k an hour through the checkouts. 

Very possible that this manager is just talking about the system in place at other fests and isn't actually itk about booze at Glastonbury at all.

Just now, Gnomicide said:

Didn't expect them to be located there - next to Arcadia and The Other - thought it'd be more to the edge of the site. I imagine if it's there it'll go down the side near the lock ups so not much camping space is taken? I hope as that's where we camp!

4 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Didn't expect them to be located there - next to Arcadia and The Other - thought it'd be more to the edge of the site. I imagine if it's there it'll go down the side near the lock ups so not much camping space is taken? I hope as that's where we camp!

so is that completely on site then ? cant picture location .....no access / resupply roads will be a complete nightmare in my opinion ... cant see them keeping up with demand although the non sale of alcohol will prevent many visits ... might nip in if im passing but won't be making any special trips 

20 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

so is that completely on site then ? cant picture location .....no access / resupply roads will be a complete nightmare in my opinion ... cant see them keeping up with demand although the non sale of alcohol will prevent many visits ... might nip in if im passing but won't be making any special trips 

well I was expecting it to be close to that supply road - the top image is the track with Park Home Ground on the left - but note its narrow - dead easy to take a fence down ' but it will still be tight so they will have to have a large unloading area # as they cant block that track # 

the bottom image is the road that runs down to Red Gate

but of course with no real detail who this guy is it could all be bollocks.

2010-wbc-09.thumb.jpg.c9c01cc5f089c520c0c56fe81a8d066a.jpg2010-wbc-10.thumb.jpg.d734fd4b1513fbf7b484ecdc9883ba04.jpg

54 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

well spotted - how the hell did you find it ? - it is odd ' why there is not more official information about their store and what they intend to stock '

28 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

well spotted - how the hell did you find it ? - it is odd ' why there is not more official information about their store and what they intend to stock '

Just someone I follow it retweeted it onto my timeline.

3 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

well I was expecting it to be close to that supply road - the top image is the track with Park Home Ground on the left - but note its narrow - dead easy to take a fence down ' but it will still be tight so they will have to have a large unloading area # as they cant block that track # 

the bottom image is the road that runs down to Red Gate

but of course with no real detail who this guy is it could all be bollocks.

2010-wbc-09.thumb.jpg.c9c01cc5f089c520c0c56fe81a8d066a.jpg2010-wbc-10.thumb.jpg.d734fd4b1513fbf7b484ecdc9883ba04.jpg

It’s a good location.

That bottom photo shows the double lane fully tarmaced road from red gate to the bottom of Park Farm. 

The top photo is the narrower gravel track to The Park pound. 

It’ll be very easy to restock .

9 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

It’s a good location.

That bottom photo shows the double lane fully tarmaced road from red gate to the bottom of Park Farm. 

The top photo is the narrower gravel track to The Park pound. 

It’ll be very easy to restock .

time will tell - here is another of my shots - they were taken in 2010 when of course it was scorching.

2010-wbc-32.thumb.jpg.254ceb7c41daee80145bffbf806b56c9.jpg

24 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

There was a shop/supermarket there up to at least 2013 so that's where I've always assumed it would go.

Wow you just triggered this memory ! There was indeed but it was towards other stage, top of pennard hill I swear ?

1 hour ago, TiZuff said:

Wow you just triggered this memory ! There was indeed but it was towards other stage, top of pennard hill I swear ?

Maybe that was another one, but there was certainly one where the current Co-op will be, we camped right in front of it in 2013. I ended up caving and buying cigarettes about Friday lunchtime after waking up hungover, I distinctly remember that, I'd decided no more smoking around the Christmas before and stuck to it until that point. I also got a pack of 4 barmcakes which I just chomped down dry to soak up the booze. A low point all round.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

I think campsites up towards pylon and darble need a little store selling a few bits, doesnt even have to be a coop thing. Since most of us there come in by coach we dont tend to bring much in the way of food and there are very few food vendors up that way too ??‍♀️

Hmmm... it's a bit disappointing to hear they'll be selling processed stuff like meal deals, with all the plastic waste that will generate, especially the pre-packed sandwiches. All very well selling water and soft drinks in cans, but negates the point if people are going to be able to buy a plastic sandwich or some fruit in a plastic bag...

Just now, pie_and_a_pint said:

Hmmm... it's a bit disappointing to hear they'll be selling processed stuff like meal deals, with all the plastic waste that will generate, especially the pre-packed sandwiches. All very well selling water and soft drinks in cans, but negates the point if people are going to be able to buy a plastic sandwich or some fruit in a plastic bag...

Let's wait and see on that front. There may be paper bags and I thought most sandwiches used biodegradable corn starch these days?

1 hour ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

The Co-op doesn't use plastic for their pre-packed sandwiches in their shops so I expect that will be maintained for the festival.