The 2019 Food Thread

The Nal

25 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'd also fully rely on this place to splinter out into warring factions:

• steadfastly refusing to take any criticism of their favourite trader
  • name dropping the most obscure food place tucked away in the corner of the site like a badge of honour
  • used to like a trader but have stopped going there since they went mainstream and started serving chips
  • will try anything and happily bimble around the place
  • trolling and asking where Nando's is

The real badge of honour is in finding the great place really close to Other or Pyramid.

Possibly an unpopular opinion but La Grande Bouffet doesn't tickle my pickle as much as it used to.

I also really need to go for the places everyone recommends on here but it always ends up being a case of which ever has the smallest queue for me and I hate myself for it!

Best food i've ever had on site was in the Avalon cafe and it was a make your own deli style salad job in 2016. I'm still unsure whether it really was incredible food or the fact i'd eaten utter shite in the days before and my body was overjoyed at getting something nutritional inside it. 

On 3/4/2019 at 2:23 PM, Mardy said:

Le Grande Bouffe lost an absolute fortune in 2016. Their whole corner was a swamp and you couldn’t really get to the counter. I spoke to them later that summer, at eotr, and they said it nearly broke them financially. They pay an eye-watering amount for that corner pitch.

Yeah It was proper flooded and didn't they get told off by H&S after festival because they had used wooden pallets as pathways??

IMG_1508.thumb.JPG.c07afdcde4109fea0343b4757178e1d5.JPGIMG_1511.thumb.JPG.af8cab0edb51669e81e16606fe505e85.JPG

Edited by shoptildrop

17 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

They do look good ... but are they plastic pots? If paper they’ll be ok.

6 hours ago, phimill said:

They now stock these as lunch pots in Aldi!

I suspect if they are stocking Aldi now you won't see them on the farm. Haven't they got form for discontinuing with traders who get successful? Forgive me if they have already confirmed. 

does anybody know if the place that sold the cakes and desserts is back this year as this was a nice little treat for me and the mrs after a long day of trekking and watching bands also i've been thinking about starting up a festival food stall due to the imminent retirement from the forces and was thinking of going with the omelette idea what do you all think ? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yeovilwire said:

does anybody know if the place that sold the cakes and desserts is back this year as this was a nice little treat for me and the mrs after a long day of trekking and watching bands also i've been thinking about starting up a festival food stall due to the imminent retirement from the forces and was thinking of going with the omelette idea what do you all think ? 

eggselent .... im sure others will appear with better yolks than me 

On 3/4/2019 at 5:40 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Duck egg? DUCK EGG?

Fucking la-de-dah, Mr Worthy View.

Filled with caviar are they?

At least if the ducks are laying eggs they are not being force fed corn for foie gras. Although the foie gras at WV is magnificent 

On 3/4/2019 at 3:06 PM, Quark said:

Really? Never find myself anything other than vaguely disappointed after eating there.  Brother in law swears by it though

Definitely. Biggest rip-off onsite (La Grand Bouffe). Yes.. those giant pans of potatoes & sausages look lovely... but once you've paid your 8 quid take a look at what they've actually given you. A bowl of potatoes with maybe a sausage on it. It frustrates me how they continue to fool everyone. I think their motives are quite cynical.

Edited by Boris

On 3/4/2019 at 6:38 PM, Funkyfairy! said:

Anyone know about either Manic organic , the Buddha cafe or the goan fish curry stall.....

The McDonald's of the Green Fields. Same menu since 1456. Manic BOREganic.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:28 PM, Cockney_Jesus said:

Any chance of a return for The Growler? They weren’t there last time meaning it’s been nearly three years since I’ve heard “ONE GROWL’R!”

Quite agree. Filth food it is, but it serves a purpose and is a fair price. I would only go there once every couple of festies when at a low ebb or on the edges of depravity.. but I liked it. The Pauline Fowler sign still makes me smile. Sorry they messed up for 2017.

49 minutes ago, Boris said:

Definitely. Biggest rip-off onsite (La Grand Bouffe). Yes.. those giant pans of potatoes & sausages look lovely... but once you've paid your 8 quid take a look at what they've actually given you. A bowl of potatoes with maybe a sausage on it. It frustrates me how they continue to fool everyone. I think their motives are quite cynical.

41 minutes ago, Boris said:

Quite agree. Filth food it is, but it serves a purpose and is a fair price

:huh:

He had the cheek to charge 6 quid (a quid more than a bowl of the Grande Buffets spuds) for this absolute abortion.

24Jun2010_0221.JPG

Edited by The Nal

White sauce no.. but The Nal... that's way better value than Le Grand Ripoffe (I assume the usual ample bacon is concealed beneath the extreme cheese) ... Waistline wise it may not be so good ;) Mind you the Sausage-misers probably cook everything in butter/ oil anyway.

Edited by Boris

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

One day I still plan to make a gourmet growler:

• Sourdough Baguette
  • Kerrygold butter
  • Triple fried chips
  • Dry Cured Thick bacon
  • Three cheese mix (not decided which cheeses)
  • Dijon Mustard
  • Fresh ground black pepper

The idea of the growler is sound - it's just the low quality ingredients that let it down.

Yes.. but it's about good hot ample cheap stodge- the stall is a one-stop cure-all for the afflicted. Quality would ruin it.

I’ve become canny obsessed with roti bread and especially kothu after a recent trip to Sri Lanka. The latter especially is ya perfect hangover fodder - greasy stir fried meat, veg and bread with spices. It doesn’t seemed to have spread across here though. Would be a perfect street-food van.