The 2019 Food Thread

The Nal

Just now, HeyPorter said:

I’m right between there and Chester, complete opposites they are. 

I know, I've lived in both, when I moved to the UK it was to Wrexham. 3 weeks I lasted then high tailed it to Chester. Lasted a few years there. :D Miss the Pant yr Ochain. One of my favourite places to eat. 

3 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I know, I've lived in both, when I moved to the UK it was to Wrexham. 3 weeks I lasted then high tailed it to Chester. Lasted a few years there. :D Miss the Pant yr Ochain. One of my favourite places to eat. 

I’m about two miles from there, got the Golden Lion on my doorstep which is my fave. Can see why you made that move to be fair. 

4 minutes ago, HeyPorter said:

I’m about two miles from there, got the Golden Lion on my doorstep which is my fave. Can see why you made that move to be fair. 

Well in Cumbria now but loved it in Cheshire. Loads of lovely places to walk the dogs, used to love the Sandstone trail round Bickerton. And so many fabulous places to eat to keep with the theme of the thread. The Pheasant was great for views and all. And the Cheshire Ice Cream Farm, saw Kim Marsh there one time with her family. So celeb spotting who is a singer and food. All checks out for efests. :D 

27 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I absolutely adore chips and gravy and was introduced to the cheese addition many years ago as a hangover cure when I lived in Chester. Its such a brilliant combo, it shouldn't work but it does. Myself and the hubs sought the stall out last time cos we were so looking forward to it. Asked him about it after my last post and he just said 'Oh yeah, it was shit. Shame cos we spent ages looking for it' 

Will see what they are offering this year but frozen chips can fucking do one. 

2017 on the Thursday night on my way back to my tent (Darble) I stumbled across somebody in the Silver Hayes area selling chips with cheese and gravy - bloody lovely. That was it, every night I had to have chips with cheese and gravy on my walk back to the tent. Just thinking about it has bought a big smile to my face, I loved that slow walk back to Darble just going over what a great day it had been.

Just now, Losing my hair said:

2017 on the Thursday night on my way back to my tent (Darble) I stumbled across somebody in the Silver Hayes area selling chips with cheese and gravy - bloody lovely. That was it, every night I had to have chips with cheese and gravy on my walk back to the tent. Just thinking about it has bought a big smile to my face, I loved that slow walk back to Darble just going over what a great day it had been.

Such a comforting thing isn't it and so simple. Chips and gravy then add a bit of cheese for heaven on a plate. Like eating a hug. 

23 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

They are from Sheffield as well. Maybe the veggie gravy is better than the meat one?? 

I won't be returning to find out, getting indigestion just remembering it! 

Edited by StoneCircle
  • Like 1

Just now, Losing my hair said:

Hoping that No Bones Jones is there again, the veg fritters with chilli sauce were delicious.

I have to say I have never tried it, walk by it a lot but it just doesn't appeal to me. Haven't tried the Goan fish curry or the Halloumi in the cones thing. 

I love my stodge so its all about Le Grande Bouffe, Annies MacNCheese and Le Rac Shack for me. 

1 minute ago, StoneCircle said:

Mind you it sounds decent grub - https://www.leracshack.com/  :good:

OMG, have you not tried it? I nearly drowned in 2016 getting some of their grub. There was a bench nearby and the puddle was soo deep when I tired to navigate to it that everyones face looked in horror as it looked like I was about to create a tidal wave cos I wobbled so much. Managed to steady myself and sit down and get that lovely food down me gullet. 

2 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I have to say I have never tried it, walk by it a lot but it just doesn't appeal to me. Haven't tried the Goan fish curry or the Halloumi in the cones thing. 

I love my stodge so its all about Le Grande Bouffe, Annies MacNCheese and Le Rac Shack for me. 

The Goan Fish Curry breakfast kedgeree is a great way to start the day.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkSiORkfZjyZkvOYd0Aaw

5 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

Any recollection of where they were? :)

The food market in Williams green if I remember correctly. In the little square bit where the big wheel is the turns. Urgh not making sense.  that thing

Edited by H.M.V
added pic

2 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

OMG, have you not tried it? I nearly drowned in 2016 getting some of their grub. There was a bench nearby and the puddle was soo deep when I tired to navigate to it that everyones face looked in horror as it looked like I was about to create a tidal wave cos I wobbled so much. Managed to steady myself and sit down and get that lovely food down me gullet. 

No, never tried it. I have asked on Facebook if they are returning this year, will report back. Have you tried Roaming Rotisserie chicken and roast spuds? That's a favourite of mine when in need of comfort food! 

4 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkSiORkfZjyZkvOYd0Aaw

The food market in Williams green if I remember correctly. In the little square bit where the big wheel is the turns. Urgh not making sense.  that thing

It was the Leftfield tower, now the Tony Benn tower. now known as that thing!! :lol: