2021 Lineup

2 hours ago, Miyn said:

It just seems unlikely, as they have 'many more acts to be announced'. If it was only 2-3 stages they wouldn't have released so much of the lineup. I think they've just put an assortment of acts on the poster that will play each day.

I think 4 or 5 stages:

MSW

MSE

Dance

Other (different name)

1xtra or FR or the Pit

11 hours ago, TKOCF said:

You’d be surprised, all my mates who are heavy drum and bass & garage fans, listen to only two guitar bands. 

The Wombats and Catfish and the Bottlemen. Both of which are playing and will get big crowds. 

I mean, I get they have a radio friendly sound and all that.

I just had no idea they were one of the leading British guitar bands in 2020. I associate them with that late 00s era when landfill Indie was on its last legs.

Edited by VCK

7 hours ago, VCK said:

I just had no idea they were one of the leading British guitar bands in 2020. I associate them with that late 00s era when landfill Indie was on its last legs.

Songs like Kill the Director and LDTJD still play a lot in like sing a long playlists etc and anyone I’ve played Tokyo absolutely fucking loves it 

Their new stuff goes down very well as well.

8 hours ago, VCK said:

As much as the Wombats feel like faded stars like bands like The Kooks or Libertines they have had a moderate hit per album (or at least the best an indie band for their size can do). LDTJD, Tokyo, Greek Tragedy, and Turn have all done well and they have other songs which are well known enough that I think whilst they’re a bit of a boring booking they’re not bad or outdated per say.

Edited by Jonathan Jonathan

On 9/26/2020 at 12:27 AM, OnlyRevolutions said:

i'm fairly confident that all these acts wont be playing across the two main stages even though it seems to be advertised that way, apart from the obvious reasons why this wouldn't happen (breaking the nine acts per main stage the festival has always stuck to, small dance acts on the mainstage for the first time, artists with a couple songs performing) i tried to create a clash finder and it's basically impossible to fit all these acts across the two stages unless the gates to the arena were to open at 8AM:

https://clashfinder.com/s/leedsfest2021/

I think it's only the headliners who won't be clashing, not every act on those stages.

20 hours ago, Miyn said:

Probably means there is gonna be the usual amount of stages.

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

My guess is FR have had a chat with the government and they’ve advised them against tents. I can’t think of any other valid reason why we now have 3 outdoor stages and everything else taking a year off. They must have had some kind of guidance.

I suspect they still don’t 100% know what they’ll be able to do next August at this stage and may not even know until mid next year. 

Hopefully the 5 more niche stages will remain as is with just the loss of the traditional second stage. 

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I think it's only the headliners who won't be clashing, not every act on those stages.

That doesn’t work tho, I thought the idea was so there was non stop music. There’d then be breaks between the lower down artists and a gap between the second sub and the first headliner. Only then would there be no waiting time between the two headliners 

16 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

That doesn’t work tho, I thought the idea was so there was non stop music. There’d then be breaks between the lower down artists and a gap between the second sub and the first headliner. Only then would there be no waiting time between the two headliners 

Are the stages next to each other? Or other sides of the sites?

17 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Don't bet on it. The dance stage used run from early, it's always ran from early at the likes of Glastonbury and Creamfields naturally has dance acts on from 1pm/2pm daily in broad daylight.

This is true. I got the feeling from the initial poster announcement that MK was supposed to be main stage and checked his live show out, and something like this certainly seems possible at R+L in 2021. 

Edited by dentalplan

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

They've said about a gazillion times that there's gonna be no main stage clashes. They've answered loads of questions on social media about whether acts are going to clash, but nothing on how many stages there's going to be.

9 minutes ago, thetime said:

Are the stages next to each other? Or other sides of the sites?

We don't have a clue at the moment. It's anyone's guess. I'd have thought that there facing each other with the usual space of the main stage field between them, as they don't need two main stage fields worth of space if only one band is on at once.

On 9/26/2020 at 12:12 PM, VCK said:

What's with the festival constantly giving high main stage slots to The Wombats? They're hardly a huge name in 2020.

They are a pretty big name in 2020. It's not like they were huge in 2008 and have gone to bits like Razorlight, they've just been steadily growing their fanbase over what seems like an eternity until you get this.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

This is true. I got the feeling from the initial poster announcement that MK was supposed to be main stage and checked his live show out, and something like this certainly seems possible at R+L in 2021. 

Look at the size of those fucking screens

Saturday main stage is actually pretty stacked, looking at it.

Post Malone will obviously do the business for those who like him, Disclosure will warm up for him pretty nicely, Two Door and The Wombats are mainstays because they get the crowd going every time. DaBaby will be a fun set. Doja Cat will be too although it's a year away and her star is disintegrating a fair bit. Managing to add Sigrid to that lineup too is impressive, I thought she'd be a logo act at this point.

Edited by dentalplan

24 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They are a pretty big name in 2020. It's not like they were huge in 2008 and have gone to bits like Razorlight, they've just been steadily growing their fanbase over what seems like an eternity until you get this.

The Wombats, TDCC, The Kooks. The UK sure loves their two hit wonders from yesteryear. You'd think these type of bands are tiny right now. 

On 9/25/2020 at 5:56 PM, Tom Connolly said:

do we reckon that info about the ex headliner sub is bollocks then? 

bit late on this message but its the kind of thing that would be annnounced later on like lewis was for 2020 - a like march special guest announcement or something

20 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Aren't you in a country where Editors have headlined the biggest festival on multiple occasions? 🤔

Yes. But to me the UK has tons of 'Editors' cases. Here, The Wombats' last 'hit' was literally also their first one and it was released 13 years ago. They should be up there with Iglu & Hartly and Air Traffic. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Yup, can't see an issue with it. I will admit though that having been Creamfields 2pm dance acts in the daylight are not as fun. But Calvin Harris also did it at Coachella like 3rd down one year although I will admit being in April too it's getting dark by 7:30pm 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

It's crazy isn't it? I guess when it's a festival where what's happening on the stage is mostly some dude nodding his head, there needs to be something else.

That’s true, wish R&L had a set like them

Don't need anything that huge for Reading and Leeds. They're at Creamfields to have some colourful visuals for all those raving off their heads. The screens at Reading and Leeds are just a broadcast of what's on stage, and no one wants 2000 square feet of Liam Gallagher's fucking face.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Like 2