2021 Lineup

3 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Melvin's right in that R&L has got to keep up with what's popular but institutions like R&L are responsible for dictating what's popular. Take rock music off the lineup and it has a direct impact, flood the lineup with chart music and you're fuelling the fire. The best we can hope for a is a rock day tailored to day ticket holders like the Foos day in 2019, what a day that was.

In any interview you read Melvin continues to peddle the line that it's a festival for the kids and school leavers which, to be fair, have made up a large proportion of ticket holders for years. However, I don't believe for one minute that 2005-era school leavers were listening religiously to the likes of Pixies and Pearl Jam as two of the headliners.

I remember when they bought in the 1extra stage, loads were like - 'who listens to that'

5-6 years later...

Once we have a 3 day pit back we'll know things are on the turn.

Traditionally things have been cyclical music wise, things may have changed with streaming but you'd assume kids in 5-6 years time wont want to be listening to the stuff being made now. We'll see what replaces it then

54 minutes ago, Benj said:

I remember when they bought in the 1extra stage, loads were like - 'who listens to that'

5-6 years later...

Traditionally things have been cyclical music wise, things may have changed with streaming but you'd assume kids in 5-6 years time wont want to be listening to the stuff being made now. We'll see what replaces it then

Still hoping the Pit/FR mashup was due to Covid but I think I'm in denial there. 

If it wasn't bad enough losing a day of the Pit, losing two days of the FR was arguably worse overall. So many of the main stage bands this year like Catfish and the Bottlemen, The Wombats, Wolf Alice, Tom Grennan, Sports Team, Easy Life, Sea Girls, The Snuts to name a few have all come through the FR. The Pit might not be so relevant right now but the FR is essential. I kn0w Stormzy came through the 1xtra but the humble guitar is completely outnumbered now and it's sad to see

4 hours ago, Benj said:

5-6 years later...

Honestly the rise of pop punk with acts like MGK, Olivia Rodrigo, Yungblud and Kenny Hoopla making big songs, would not surprise me to see a second pop punk explosion and rock coming back into the forefront.

10 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I've not listened to Kenny but the other four aren't punk.

it's quite sad that punk as a scene was meant to be less of a precise genre style and more of an attitude and spirit of those artists.

There is lots of non-punk music that fits with being punk but really who gives a shit if it's not this perfect image of pop punk middle aged men singing about how hard it is to be a teenager like Sum 41 or mohawked nonsense like The Sex Pistols as it seems anti-punk for it all to be so cookie cutter shaped as each other.

• Upvote 1

On 9/6/2021 at 10:05 AM, FloorFiller said:

Not sure if it was already debunked but looks like the rumours of Catfish breaking up aren’t true, or at least not yet anyway:

97068C4A-216B-4E81-9A76-3E694DE877B3.jpeg

nearly a hundred quid a ticket. 😬

On a side note, thought catfish were brilliant at reading.

Edited by thetime

3 hours ago, thetime said:

On a side note, thought catfish were brilliant at reading.

I thought they were good too. A constant decent racket, you don’t always need some wit and repartee to go with your music, or endless pandering to how great the crowd is. Just got with it. 

Only shit thing was their screens.

14 hours ago, TKOCF said:

Honestly the rise of pop punk with acts like MGK, Olivia Rodrigo, Yungblud and Kenny Hoopla making big songs, would not surprise me to see a second pop punk explosion and rock coming back into the forefront.

13 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I've not listened to Kenny but the other four aren't punk.

13 hours ago, jump said:

it's quite sad that punk as a scene was meant to be less of a precise genre style and more of an attitude and spirit of those artists.

There is lots of non-punk music that fits with being punk but really who gives a shit if it's not this perfect image of pop punk middle aged men singing about how hard it is to be a teenager like Sum 41 or mohawked nonsense like The Sex Pistols as it seems anti-punk for it all to be so cookie cutter shaped as each other.

13 hours ago, Andre91 said:

You conveniently left out the pop part. 

Punk is an approach. Lots of grime and drill is punk af in its approach. 

What jump and Andre have stated. If you listen to these artists and see the attitude they have they all actually are very punk. Punk is a attitude and to say someone isn’t punk is the most unpunk thing. Bob Vylan also another rising punk artist that I can see doing well. 

• Upvote 1

True story, Lemmy a legend who fronted one of the most iconic metal bands of all time Motorhead repeatedly claimed Motorhead weren't a metal band but were actually a punk band. Someone needs to do a seance to tell his ghost that he need to grow a mohawk and sing songs about how hard it is to be a teenager to be considered punk.

2 hours ago, jump said:

True story, Lemmy a legend who fronted one of the most iconic metal bands of all time Motorhead repeatedly claimed Motorhead weren't a metal band but were actually a punk band. Someone needs to do a seance to tell his ghost that he need to grow a mohawk and sing songs about how hard it is to be a teenager to be considered punk.

True that. 

Nirvana were a punk band, too. 

7 hours ago, Andre91 said:

True that. 

Nirvana were a punk band, too. 

The Manics and The Libertines, who are both generally regarded to be Indie, were punk, or at least the Manics were in their early days.

Also thrash metal like Metallica and Slayer were directly influenced by hardcore punk. It was basically punk rock that incorporated classic rock influences, which was so against the grain of punk that it was punk as fuck to do that. Or something.

8 hours ago, VCK said:

The Manics and The Libertines, who are both generally regarded to be Indie, were punk, or at least the Manics were in their early days.

Also thrash metal like Metallica and Slayer were directly influenced by hardcore punk. It was basically punk rock that incorporated classic rock influences, which was so against the grain of punk that it was punk as fuck to do that. Or something.

Manics very quickly became unpunk 

quickly realized it and then tried to get it back…. too late lads. No one forgives a sell out like a punk does not forgive a sell out 

8 hours ago, Benj said:

Manics very quickly became unpunk 

quickly realized it and then tried to get it back…. too late lads. No one forgives a sell out like a punk does not forgive a sell out 

If only they had kept it real like Smash Mouth!

On 9/10/2021 at 8:26 AM, jump said:

Er...................."we are Motorhead and we play rock and roll" ring any bells? Definite punk influenced though.

On 9/10/2021 at 6:37 PM, VCK said:

When I watch Anthrax all I hear is punk. More than thrash.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 10:20 AM, foolee said:

Liam Gallagher looks a stronger booking from 2021 already with almost selling out 2 dates at knebworth

I actually won't be surprised if Glastonbury offer the Friday night headline slot to him in the next couple of years. If you want a fonafide ticket shifter to headline that is relevant, you can't look much closer than him. To sell out south venues after all his tours already and even Manchester Cricket Ground wasn't a total sell out.