Ryan Adams

tevaburger

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that sort of thing would only be done with the promoter's say so, tho, cos it's bound to all be tightly contracted. 

And the promoter will have contracts with Adams, where the promoter is committed to paying £x for the shows, with Adams quite possibly liable to carry all the costs so far if he cancels.

That’s what I was getting at, under normal circumstances a cancelled gig would work that way. However as nobody seems willing to take the hit of cancelling nobody will refund.

59 minutes ago, Username taken said:

On what grounds though?  I understand if a gig is pulled then Seetickets would physically deal with the refunds, as there would then be an arrangement in place with the promoter to refund the money, but in this scenario why would anyone ask Seetickets for the money?

My guess is if somebody doesn't want to attend the gig anymore for x reason, then that's where the ticket was purchased from, and ultimately it's Seetickets the customer has the contract with. 

11 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

My guess is if somebody doesn't want to attend the gig anymore for x reason, then that's where the ticket was purchased from, and ultimately it's Seetickets the customer has the contract with. 

Don’t most tickets have a ‘no refunds’ policy (obviously unless the concert is cancelled etc). If you decide you no longer wish to go then, I guess that’s your decision, but I wouldn’t expect a refund unless they’re pulled. That said, it’s hard to see them going ahead - it’d be such a car-crash if they did. 

6 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Don’t most tickets have a ‘no refunds’ policy (obviously unless the concert is cancelled etc). If you decide you no longer wish to go then, I guess that’s your decision, but I wouldn’t expect a refund unless they’re pulled. That said, it’s hard to see them going ahead - it’d be such a car-crash if they did. 

Oh yeah absolutely - what I was trying to get at is more the procedure, i.e. customer wants a refund for x reason which may or may not be allowable as per Seetickets refund policy, and it's Seetickets who then make the decision accordingly based on either their own t&c's and/or a business decision they've taken because of x reason. I wouldn't necessarily expect a refund for simply deciding not to attend, but if I've made my decision for x reason and I want to try and pursue a refund regardless, then it's the ticket seller I raise my grievance with.  

59 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It's not normal for someone under FBI investigation for being a nonce to keep touring. Are you even allowed out the country in those circumstances? 

You can be under investigation by the FBI and continue being the President of the USA.

Edited by henry bear
  • Upvote 4

IMO He's not a nonce, just an unpleasant, selfish, manipulative, unfaithful, womanising bully. Nothing I didn't know already. Which does NOT make it ok either.

RE nonce. If he did know her age, which there is no evidence that he did, wasn't the sexual texting after she was 16? Very very unpleasant, but legal in this country (if not some states in USA). Could he have had shit loads on the go, and one he was texting, he's now found out, was underage in that particular state? We're not talking Gary Glitter, travelling to Cambodia are we? 

One of the women's stories was basically she'd just had a bit of a shit relationship, that sadly most people have had at some time in their life. Also, they dumped him, and then were surprised that he didn't want to tour with them. Again, please don't think I'm condoning him.

I feel passionately about metoo and fully support it, but there's something I can't quite put my finger on about this. Please don't think I'm condoning him, I'm not, but am I the only one who thinks, just maybe, he's getting a lot of blame for probably, at a guess, 75% of male musicians typical behaviour? It is absolutely right though that something needs to be said about men's fucking awful behaviour so a lot of positives will come. 

I imagine I'm going to be torn to shreds for this, but I am trying to be honest about what are some conflicting emotions. 

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

I feel passionately about metoo and fully support it, but there's something I can't quite put my finger on about this. Please don't think I'm condoning him, I'm not, but am I the only one who thinks, just maybe, he's getting a lot of blame for probably, at a guess, 75% of male musicians typical behaviour? It is absolutely right though that something needs to be said about men's fucking awful behaviour so a lot of positives will come.

This is the exact point yeah. Other musicians probably do deserve criticism, but the answer isn’t to not criticise Ryan Adams, it’s that if/when things come out about others, to criticise them too.

11 hours ago, Bradders said:

This is the exact point yeah. Other musicians probably do deserve criticism, but the answer isn’t to not criticise Ryan Adams, it’s that if/when things come out about others, to criticise them too.

well, today you can go for your life with jacko, a scumbag 1000 times worse than Adams.

/waits for 1000 times the noise.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

well, today you can go for your life with jacko, a scumbag 1000 times worse than Adams.

There’s been loads more noise about Jacko, yeah. Someone even made a big documentary about it, it’s been all over the papers.

17 minutes ago, Bradders said:

There’s been loads more noise about Jacko, yeah. Someone even made a big documentary about it, it’s been all over the papers.

Adams' far-lesser abuse was all over the papers too.

There's been some 'logic' expressed in this thread. Perhaps the different responses demonstrate it was nothing like those people said after all? :P 

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I've been slagging of that paedo Jacko for years! But it's not a competition. Zero tolerance for the smaller stuff means maybe people are more willing to come forward for the bigger stuff. Saying 'oh it's not as bad as Jacko ' makes people less reluctant to come forward for the 'smaller' stuff, as it makes their valid complaints seem insignificant 

Adams is keeping it alive by making news for not cancelling his tour. It'll keep going if he goes onstage again

Just now, zahidf said:

But it's not ...

... sane?

So some people in this thread say, failing to loudly condemn is proof of support of the abuse, and even a strong suggestion that that person is an abuser themselves. 

I'm sat here waiting for those people to post 1000 times more than they did for adams, to demonstrate they weren't talking bollocks. :) 

23 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

... sane?

So some people in this thread say, failing to loudly condemn is proof of support of the abuse, and even a strong suggestion that that person is an abuser themselves. 

I'm sat here waiting for those people to post 1000 times more than they did for adams, to demonstrate they weren't talking bollocks. :) 

Ok well done, you win, consider us all outed as virtue signalling SJWs.

28 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

... sane?

That's some weird logic dude

5 minutes ago, Username taken said:

That's some weird logic dude

the weird logic was from those who deemed others as supporting abuse and/or probably-abusers because they wouldn't join-in with the lynch-mob mentality to the degree that the lynchers felt was appropriate. 

Which I'm using Jacko to flag up (unless those people come and post at a much greater rate to prove themselves as not-hypocritical morons).

They're failing their own test.

Edited by eFestivals

52 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

“Again”? As in ever? 

Well id probably say until the nonce stuff is cleared up. Then the music industry will help 'rehabilitate ' him so the other stuff gets brushed under the carpet. They've put a lot of money into his new stuff for them not to try to at the very least.

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Well id probably say until the nonce stuff is cleared up. Then the music industry will help 'rehabilitate ' him so the other stuff gets brushed under the carpet. They've put a lot of money into his new stuff for them not to try to at the very least.

yep, it has to be "brushed under the carpet" in the minds of those who throw people off the cliff without chance of rehabilitation. ;) 

Whatever you think of Adams his life goes on and he has to be *permitted to live his life. 

(* because some have trouble with words, that isn't "permitted to abuse").

Edited by eFestivals

15 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

IMO He's not a nonce, just an unpleasant, selfish, manipulative, unfaithful, womanising bully. Nothing I didn't know already. 

We're not talking Gary Glitter, travelling to Cambodia are we?

She’ just had a bit of a shit relationship, that sadly most people have had at some time in their life. Also, they dumped him, and then were surprised that he didn't want to tour with them.

He’ getting a lot of blame for probably, at a guess, 75% of male musicians typical behaviour? 

This is what your post looks like with all the “I support MeTo” and “I don’t condone his behaviour” bits taken out.....which is an awful lot like someone justifying and normalising his behaviour.

He was a person in a position of power. He abused that position of power.

Your definition of ”A bit of a shit relationship” = Someone being emotional abusive. Lets call it like it is.

Not one person that knows Ryan Adams personally (ex partners, ex band mates and managers) has come out to defend him, quite the opposite infact. Why so many fans seem to think it’s all probably not that bad is a bit of a head scratcher.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yep, it has to be "brushed under the carpet" in the minds of those who throw people off the cliff without chance of rehabilitation. ;) 

Whatever you think of Adams his life goes on and he has to be *permitted to live his life. 

(* because some have trouble with words, that isn't "permitted to abuse").

But you can see how 'letting him live his life' in this case wouldn't change anything if he doesn't want to change? I haven't seen any indication that he knows why people are angry with him e.t.c.