eFestivals is fund-raising

eFestivals has been here 20 years supporting festivals and festival goers. Without your support it will not continue as it has been.
Advertising used to pay the bills but advertising revenues are much less than they were.

Festivals: if you'd like us to continue to promote your event to our 650,000 monthly readers you'll need to give a helping hand.
Festival-Goers: if every visitor in just one day donated just £2, that would provide funding for a whole year.

You can donate or sign up for 'gold' (ad-free) membership, or you can contact the editor.
Sign in to follow this  
tevaburger

Ryan Adams

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Nope. That's just what you've decided I think.

Nah, you’ve made it pretty clear that’s what you think

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Very much sounds like you've decided the other stuff isn't noteworthy.

No, sounds like he’s keeping an open mind about it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, zahidf said:

In this particular case, and others like spacey wesentein etc, the 'crime' doesn't unless there is a response . And minimising the response could play into it.

Look at Louis CK. Does anyone really think he's rehabilitated?

who's minimising the response, and why do you think Adams is reading here anyway?

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

who's minimising the response, and why do you think Adams is reading here anyway?

Caveats on his behaviour and saying 'he's a dick but not as bad as (x). Not been said here but behaviour like that and worse is often excused as BOYS WILL BE BOYS. 

14 hours ago, eFestivals said:

You'll have to tell me what you really meant then when you claimed they were often telling on themselves. :rolleyes: 

Perhaps the claim of them often telling on themselves is the exaggeration? Got the stats to hand or is it just something you've made up? 

Jeez. :lol: 

Telling on yourself isn't a great way to put it.

But saying it's something all men would does minimise it. It reduces it from being a conscious choice guys make to just being a biological imperative. 'BOYS will be BOYS '

28 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Caveats on his behaviour and saying 'he's a dick but not as bad as (x). Not been said here but behaviour like that and worse is often excused as BOYS WILL BE BOYS. 

in the range of possible crimes, this *IS* pretty low.  That's not a caveat, it's the fact* of what happened (*if the allegations are true, of course).

And where are people excusing it with "boys will be boys"? Perhaps you should hang out with different people?

Edited by eFestivals

26 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Telling on yourself isn't a great way to put it.

But saying it's something all men would does minimise it. It reduces it from being a conscious choice guys make to just being a biological imperative. 'BOYS will be BOYS '

And where are people excusing it with "it's something all men would do"? Perhaps you should hang out with different people?

It's something a proportion of men do. That's not news to everyone but the new-borns.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

in the range of possible crimes, this *IS* pretty low.  That's not a caveat, it's the fact* of what happened (*if the allegations are true, of course).

And where are people excusing it with "boys will be boys"? Perhaps you should hang out with different people?

I said not on here. And behaviour like it! And loads of people defended kavanaugh in the US on the 'BOYS will be BOYS ' defence.

8 hours ago, Bradders said:

Nah, you’ve made it pretty clear that’s what you think

To someone who can't see the wood for the trees it might seem that way. You know nowt about me. Hope you never get jury service...

9 hours ago, clarkete said:

Depends on the FBI really, assuming that part of the report is true.  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/arts/music/fbi-ryan-adams.html 

...they won't mess about either. The debate on whether he has a career or not will be settled in a very black and white (or should that be orange) manner indeed. My pal in US law enforcement said they'll be checking out all allegations as background too...

Edited by Superscally

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

and if he knows and did nothing, why he's not being strung up the same...?

He says he believed in Adams when he denied it. And that he was scared for the safety of his family, which possibly needs more clarification!

Just now, zahidf said:

He says he believed in Adams when he denied it.

in which case he can't actually know it's true then.

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

in which case he can't actually know it's true then.

Statement speaks for itself. Whether you believe it or not, that's up to you

14 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Statement speaks for itself.

it does.

It proves that he didn't know if we're taking his words as gospel.

And that you'll suck up anything and twist it into untruth if it suits your prejudices.

Edited by eFestivals

18 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it does.

It proves that he didn't know if we're taking his words as gospel.

And that you'll suck up anything and twist it into untruth if it suits your prejudices.

? Not sure what untruth you're putting in me. He says in his statement he believes the women.

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

? Not sure what untruth you're putting in me. He says in his statement he believes the women.

so a guess then,. Like your guess of his guess.

It might be true, but it's a guess. What you've said of his words makes that clear.

You've been unable to recognise it as that guess. You're suggesting his guess is proof of Adams' guilt.

If he *KNOWS* then that's different. But it also raises the question of why he did nothing when he knew.

Edited by eFestivals

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It might be true, but it's a guess. What you've said of his words makes that clear.

You've been unable to recognise it as that guess. You're suggesting his guess is proof of Adams' guilt.

If he *KNOWS* then that's different. But it also raises the question of why he did nothing when he knew.

I think it's relevant his friend and band guitarist has taken the woman's side. But yes, it's just a 'guess'

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I think it's relevant his friend and band guitarist has taken the woman's side. 

no more relevant than you doing that, unless he knew what was going on. :rolleyes: 

It's no extra proof. It's just another guess.

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Why do you seem to be so annoyed about this?

Wisenbaker says he told RA ‘some time ago’ to get help, which indicates that he knew RA was fucked up. If he knew, or suspected, what was going on, his actions should have amounted to more than that. 

Just now, clarkete said:

Why do you seem to be so annoyed about this?

I'm permanently annoyed with zahid's inability to use his brain. "Hey, some bloke on twitter thinks the same as me, that means I'm right."

My guess is that Adams is probably guilty of things he's accused of.

His guitarist also thinking that doesn't make my guess or zahid's guess more likely to be correct unless that guitarist saw bad stuff go on he did nothing about (which is the opposite of what that guitarist says, from what zahid said).

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm permanently annoyed with zahid's inability to use his brain. "Hey, some bloke on twitter thinks the same as me, that means I'm right."

My guess is that Adams is probably guilty of things he's accused of.

His guitarist also thinking that doesn't make my guess or zahid's guess more likely to be correct unless that guitarist saw bad stuff go on he did nothing about (which is the opposite of what that guitarist says, from what zahid said).

It's not just some bloke on Twitter. It's Adams guitarist! It's not Jeff from Swansea wearing a tin foil hat.

I don't disagree that it's a 'guess ' though I'd probably say more 'informed opinion based on knowing the guy'. And yes, maybe he should have done something else sooner, but I guess that's part of the whole 'industry forgives and covers up for men like that' aspect of Adams behaviour, as well as the general thing of a lack of understanding if what exactly the right thing to do in that situation is.

11 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Wisenbaker says he told RA ‘some time ago’ to get help, which indicates that he knew RA was fucked up. If he knew, or suspected, what was going on, his actions should have amounted to more than that. 

Would you feel differently if someone suggested that the women should have spoken up sooner about their abuser?