Janet Jackson Headlining?

LastWaltz

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

just given that a listen. :blink: 
(and i'm a big Jimmy fan!)

It's a cod-reggae version of a disco classic isn't it? Can't have taken much co-writing. ;) 

I don't know...

According to Whosampled, it's a completely original song. It did generate a few covers, including three different French-language versions.

Wikipedia says: Jackson and Amir Bayyan co-wrote "Reggae Nights" for [her album] Heart Don't Lie but the track did not make the cut. Jimmy Cliff's recording of the song was a hit and was nominated for a Grammy. Cliff commissioned Jackson to write two more songs: "Brown Eyes" and "American Sweet."

I don't think this has anything to do with reggae anymore, but I do love the 80's "Showbizzquizz" ballet seen in this performance. ?

Reggae Night received a Grammy nomination for Best Reggae Recording.

LaToya apparently actually got a Grammy Award in 1985 as a songwriter on the Jimmy Cliff album Cliff Hanger, which won the Grammy for Best Reggae Album. ?

I for one love this thread and find it an absolute joy to tide over time between venue posters.

But jntsrb seems to have been turned off by the most recent posts, let's get this baby kick started again.

so jntsrb, have you been to glastonbury? what's your guess on which stage she'll appear and which slot? 

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Janet Jackson and her magic poster - headlining.

Reality - 50 minute slot before Liam Gallagher.
Other acts in the same position Friday and Sunday:
Lauren Hill - 1hr 15
Miley Cyrus - 1 hr

Awake the Kracken! 

I’ve been very much in camp Janet since hearing she was in the running to play but the closer it gets and now with the added clashes I’m starting to wonder if this is gonna be the bangerfest I imagined or just a bit of a train wreck. Only playing 50 minutes doesn’t bode well. Wonder if that’s all the festival could afford?

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

A 50 minute slot could wind up being a medley-fest.

I hate medley's, I think they should be banned! Looking at her setlist she does tend to do them, unfortunately. Also factor in all the usual faffing about setting things up, she could end up playing for even less time. Even a full 50 minutes I do not consider to be a proper set! Don't know what they were thinking. And then to top things off they have her clashing with Lizzo! Did she annoy the bookers or something?! Is this some sort of revenge?!

Edited by Mr.Tease

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

What do you reckon @jntsrb?

Is it going to be wall to wall bangers, a Rhythm Nation set or a mixed bag of medleys and less well known shite?

I'm thinking putting all my chips and going all in with Lizzo. 

Urgh to medleys.