Janet Jackson Headlining?

LastWaltz

Janet Jackson is advertising on twitter that her forthcoming Vegas residency will include a 30th anniversary celebration of Rhythm Nation. If it's the best of that album with the hits off the other albums, it'll be a good set.

8 hours ago, gratefulbread said:

Woah, calm down ?

All I said was for some reason I don't know any of her songs, she totally passed me by. It was just an observation. I wasn't saying she's shit or questioning her headliner status at all. I'm sure there are loads of huge artists in the greater sphere of musical history whom I also have not had the fortune to have listened to or gotten into. And that's ok. ✌️

I wasn't talking directly to you. I was talking in general.

2 hours ago, henry bear said:

I’m going to regret this too, but anyway...

I wanted to check for myself your claims about JJ outselling all the others mentioned. Why ‘top 20’? It’s usually ‘top 10’ or ‘top 40’. Doesn’t matter, out of the artists you mentioned (minus CD), this is, officially, how many ‘top 20’ hits they’ve had:

Kylie 46

Robbie Williams (not including TT) 33

George Michael (not including Wham) 31

Prince 29

Whitney Houston 28

Janet Jackson 27

Beyoncé (only solo) 20

Abba 19

Of course, there are plenty more artists that have had more hits than any of these.

JJ is a big deal, but less so in the UK these days compared to elsewhere, but it will be a great booking for Glasto, I think the crowd will know more songs than they were anticipating, but let’s keep things in perspective eh?

Janet had 33 Top 20s, more than all numbered above. She also had more top 10 hits than, let's say, Prince, even though he released 39 albums and Janet only 11.

https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/42628/janet-jackson/

Janet's latest greatest-hits collection is certified Gold in the UK. Her last album in 2015 debuted at No. 11 in the UK, without any promo. No interviews, no magazine covers, no TV performances... She just released it independently and it almost charted in Top 10. We'll all agree that's too good for somebody who's forgotten in the UK, while some artists that aren't forgotten are peaking very low on the chart, despite the huge promo.

Edited by jntsrb

8 minutes ago, jntsrb said:

Janet had 33 Top 20s, more than all numbered above. 

The site doesn't seem to actually give a number for Top 20s, only Top 10s and Top40s. I suppose you counted them by hand?

Still, the same site has Kylie on 34 UK Top 10s, so that's definitely more than 33 Top 20s. https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/43484/kylie-minogue/

Also, Kylie had 7 UK No 1s?? I guess she really was huge in the UK. I wonder if that was all due to Stock/Aitken/Waterman or was Neighbours just that influencial?

A quick glance at Wikipedia shows that in the Netherlands and Belgium, Janet has about double the number of hits (Top 10/40/whatever) that Kylie has, which is more in line with my perception.

25 minutes ago, jntsrb said:

I wasn't talking directly to you. I was talking in general.

Janet had 33 Top 20s, more than all numbered above. She also had more top 10 hits than, let's say, Prince, even though he released 39 albums and Janet only 11.

Janet's latest greatest-hits collection is certified Gold in the UK. Her last album in 2015 debuted at No. 11 in the UK, without any promo. No interviews, no magazine covers, no TV performances... She just released it independently and it almost charted in Top 10. We'll all agree that's too good for somebody who's forgotten in the UK, while some artists that aren't forgotten are peaking very low on the chart, despite the huge promo.

Still hasn't answered my question.

You are Janet Jackson and I claim my ten pounds.

51 minutes ago, jntsrb said:

A lot of the ones you’re obviously including are collaborations and those where she’s featuring on other people’s tracks, which is rather different and why I omitted those by Wham, Take That etc.

Out of interest, why are you so aggressively defensive of her? Most people are saying they’re looking forward to her, can’t understand why you have to make her appear something she, perhaps, isn’t 

28 minutes ago, Quark said:

Still hasn't answered my question.

You are Janet Jackson and I claim my ten pounds.

I don't think it's that deep, most fandoms these days include a subset that leans into the "fanatical" part of being a fan, or 'stan'. A big part of that seems to be focussed on somehow proving that your fave is bigger/better/harder than any other.

Just be glad it's not the #beyhive.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, marcoolio said:

The site doesn't seem to actually give a number for Top 20s, only Top 10s and Top40s. I suppose you counted them by hand?

Still, the same site has Kylie on 34 UK Top 10s, so that's definitely more than 33 Top 20s. https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/43484/kylie-minogue/

Also, Kylie had 7 UK No 1s?? I guess she really was huge in the UK. I wonder if that was all due to Stock/Aitken/Waterman or was Neighbours just that influencial?

A quick glance at Wikipedia shows that in the Netherlands and Belgium, Janet has about double the number of hits (Top 10/40/whatever) that Kylie has, which is more in line with my perception.

I didn't say that she had more hits than Kylie in the UK. Kylie had bigger chart success in the UK than almost any female artist, except Madonna and maybe Rihanna. I mentioned Kylie when I said that Janet sold more albums in Europe than Kylie globally. But there were times when Janet was selling more than Kylie even in the UK. For example, all Kylie's albums from 1990 to 1998, and that's 4 studio albums and one greatest-hits album, sold less in the UK than any of Janet's albums during that period. Unlike Kylie, Janet was having multi-platinum records. Most of Kylie's records were only gold and neither was multi-platinum.

Edited by jntsrb

4 minutes ago, jntsrb said:

I didn't say that she had more hits than Kylie in the UK. Kylie had bigger chart success in the UK than almost any female artist, except Madonna and maybe Rihanna. I mentioned Kylie when I said that Janet sold more albums in Europe than Kylie globally. But there were times when Janet was selling more than Kylie even in the UK. For example, all Kylie's albums from 1990 to 1998, and that's 4 studio albums and one greatest-hits album, sold less in the UK than any of Janet's albums during that period. Unlike Kylie, Janet was having multi-platinum records. Most of Kylie's records were only gold and neither was multi-platinum.

Well, you provided a link to the Official UK Charts Company, so you can see why I'd think you were talking about UK charts.

28 minutes ago, jntsrb said:

Doesn’t change the fact that Kylie is well more popular globally than JJ ?

2 hours ago, marcoolio said:

Well now I'm curious how you arrived at that 'fact'.

I’ve asked pretty much all ages at work to name some JJ’s songs and all I got was ‘all for you’ twice, the rest didnt even know one. When asked the same about Kylie I got loads, some I didn’t even know. 

That can give me some idea, no?

Its fairly backed up by people on here, that are way more music inclined that tom dick and harry at my work.

3 hours ago, Jay89 said:

1 hour ago, Jay89 said:

I’ve asked pretty much all ages at work to name some JJ’s songs and all I got was ‘all for you’ twice, the rest didnt even know one. When asked the same about Kylie I got loads, some I didn’t even know. 

That can give me some idea, no?

Its fairly backed up by people on here, that are way more music inclined that tom dick and harry at my work.

There's a big difference between "globally" and "all ages at work" or even "people on here".

I'd say it's obvious that Kylie is more popular in the UK, and presumably in Australia, while Janet is clearly more popular in the US. Europe is probably up for discussion, although based on my earlier glance at Belgium and the Netherlands, it's looking good for Janet. I have no idea about their relative popularity in Asia.

I am of course aware that the most (or only) relevant area for Glastonbury is the UK, which is why Kylie is in the Legend slot.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jay89 said:

Janet is by far more popular globally than Kylie. Most of Kylie's albums sold only several hundreds of copies globally, whilst Janet was the highest-paid artist in history, selling each album in at least 10 million copies between 1986 and 1997. Even Janet's 6th best-selling album from 2001 sold more than Kylie's best-selling album. Even her later "flops" were selling more than some of the most successful albums by Kylie. All Kylie's albums from the 90s sold less globally than one album by Janet in Europe alone. Let's be realistic. Not to mention Janet's tours. Tina Turner is the only female artist that had bigger tours in Europe than Janet during the 90s. Janet, Celine, Tina, and Beyonce are only female artists that sold-out stadiums in 5 continents: North America, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Oceania. Not sure if Kyle ever had any stadium concert. Janet is still holding records at some of them in Japan and the U.S.

Edited by jntsrb

1 minute ago, jntsrb said:

Janet is by far more popular globally than Kylie. Most of Kylie's albums sold only several hundreds of copies globally, whilst Janet was the highest-paid artist in history, selling each album in at least 10 million copies between 1986 and 1997. Even Janet's 6th best-selling album from 2001 sold more than Kylie's best-selling album. Even her later "flops" were selling more than some of the most successful records by Kylie. All Kylie's albums from the 90s sold less globally than one album by Janet in Europe alone. Let's be realistic. Not to mention Janet's tours. Tina Turner is the only female artist that had bigger tours in Europe than Janet during the 90s. Janet, Celine, Tina, and Beyonce are only female artists that sold-out stadiums in 5 continents: North America, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Oceania. Not sure if Kyle ever had any stadium concert. Janet is still holding records at some of them in Japan and the U.S.

Blimey Janet! Get off the internet and go to bed.

• Like 2

Album "Janet" is currently #51 in Vinyl on Amazon UK.

"Janet” is one of only seven albums by solo female artists that spent multiple weeks at No. 1 during the ‘90s in the UK. The world's best selling female studio album of 1993, also topped the charts in the USA, Australia, Japan, Canada, South Africa, and other countries.