Janet Jackson Headlining?

LastWaltz

15 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Anyone else think the clash between Lizzo and Janet is deliberate. If just 30% of the people who end up at Janet were at Lizzo as well then it would be dangerously overcrowded. 

I wouldn't think so.  WH field holds about 20k - Lizzo, with the best will in the world, isn't going to get those numbers.

16 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Anyone else think the clash between Lizzo and Janet is deliberate. If just 30% of the people who end up at Janet were at Lizzo as well then it would be dangerously overcrowded. 

No, I don't see Janet being that big a pull. You've also got Marr, Sons of Kemet and Jade Bird on at the same time.

Lizzo will be great but it wont be a problem seeing her again, the next couple of years are going to be huge for her (not to mention she will probably pop up at various places over the festival) Janet is not so easy.  the crowd will be full of people surprised at just how many of her songs they know.  plus you don't have a Vegas residency without knowing how to put on a show.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

No, I don't see Janet being that big a pull. You've also got Marr, Sons of Kemet and Jade Bird on at the same time.

But the point is there's a big crossover between the music of Janet that you don't have with those other artists. I think across the board they've put a strong line up at that time to avoid any one stage being overcrowded. 

9 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I wouldn't think so.  WH field holds about 20k - Lizzo, with the best will in the world, isn't going to get those numbers.

I think she'll have one of the bigger crowds in that field of the weekend and it would be even bigger if she wasn't up against Janet. 

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

Managed all of Jack White, Pixies and Metallica with a quick scraper through the crowds. Not that that helps with your current dilemma.

Yeah was pretty pissed to hear that I could’ve easily seen the lot tbh, but ah well. To be fair I was possibly the most hammered I’ve ever been at Glastonbury so there’s a good chance I just wouldn’t have been able to make my way to and from the stages regardless. Needless to say I remember very little of Metallica. 

The timings of Janet/Lizzo/Park TBA are also a real fucker as with Janet starting fifteen minutes after Lizzo/half an hour before TBA there’s no real chance of getting a feel for it, deciding it’s not for me and being able to see a sizeable amount of Lizzo/any of the Park set.

Reckon Janet’s gonna win it, but damn if i wont be wondering about what could’ve been.

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

But the point is there's a big crossover between the music of Janet that you don't have with those other artists. I think across the board they've put a strong line up at that time to avoid any one stage being overcrowded. 

I don't think this is a strategy they use anyway. The biggest crowd of the weekend is going to be Kylie and they've not done anything to split the crowd when she's on. 

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I don't think this is a strategy they use anyway. The biggest crowd of the weekend is going to be Kylie and they've not done anything to split the crowd when she's on. 

Everybody keeps saying that but I have a 3 way clash at that time and none of them involve Kylie. 

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

.Are Babymetal that big of a draw?

Not sure why they're being mentioned here tbh - they're not clashing with Kylie, their set ends half an hour before she starts.

The direct clash is Bring Me The Horizon.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There's something about being in the pit for the Legends Slot though.  Having been in there for quite a few.

In all honesty we haven't had to show up super early beforehand. Even for Dolly.

Yeah think I’m gonna do most of Goldblum and then worm my way through the crowd and in to the pit. Kylie is the big one of the weekend for me so being on the outskirts isn’t an option. 

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

That’s the thing about festival clashes though. It’s not simply a case of ‘I’d prefer to watch Lizzo over JJ’, there’s so many other factors and variables to consider. Whilst JJ may seem on paper the least appealing, there’s a scarcity value to her appearance, and, of course, the pull of watching a potential train-wreck. For me though, I’ve never been a fan, never  bought any of her records or held a desire to see her live, so I’d have less of a decision to make. I reckon she’ll go down ok though, in a year when heritage acts are very thin on the ground 

Why is a potential train wreck considered a positive? Last thing I want is to see an act go down like a lead balloon, especially knowing full well there's another act elsewhere that I would rather be at.

Janet has the potential to be glorious or garbage, depending on setlist/medleys/crowd interest etc. Lizzo is nailed on to be one of the highlights of the weekend.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Given how she ended up, I'm struggling to find that as hilarious as you seem to.

In retrospect no.  At the time it was fascinating to see whether you were going to see a fabulous set or a car crash.

2 minutes ago, tarw said:

In retrospect no.  At the time it was fascinating to see whether you were going to see a fabulous set or a car crash.

It's kind of soured me for any car crashes in the future - her death was a reminder that those are human beings up there on the stage, and every time we publicly laugh or jeer at someone out on control in the public eye, we're a tiny bit responsible for their fate.

Anyway, isn't Janet more likely to be a bit shit rather than a glorious car crash?