Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

I had my appendix out in a bit of emergency surgery last Wednesday. Back to work today. I found I've lost 5kgs over the last week. A couple more of these procedures and I'll be just where I need to be by Glastonbury. What a result!

• Upvote 1

I handed my draft thesis in just before Easter (hooray)...while I'm waiting for feedback on it, I basically have very little I need to be doing. Thus, after a bank holiday, sun-sponsered drink-a-thon, which included a little first-time venture into Printworks, I now have zero excuses not to smash out some gym time. Started with LBT yesterday morning, climbing in the evening, and spinning this afternoon at 2pm.

I'm also doing the low carb thing as instructed by @Homer and @Quark - although, granted, the amount of cider I consumed over the weekend means I'm pretty seriously in the red!

Edited by Sasperella
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

I had my appendix out in a bit of emergency surgery last Wednesday. Back to work today. I found I've lost 5kgs over the last week. A couple more of these procedures and I'll be just where I need to be by Glastonbury. What a result!

When i had mine out the weirdest thing - now that it's done by keyhole rather than slicing you right open - was that when i awoke i had a massive swollen belly.

I asked the nurse what the hell was going on and she explained it was because they pump you full of CO2 to make space between your internal organs so they can get to your appendix easier! It also made my shoulders hurt like hell as if i'd been carrying a backpack - apparently that's the gas dissipating throughout your body.

In getting fit news, since I finished my first ultra the other week and signed up for another in September for my treadmill runs i've now introduced running with a 1kg weight in each hand, reducing the run to 5 miles and doing some lift rep exercises whilst running. Tough but great.

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

When i had mine out the weirdest thing - now that it's done by keyhole rather than slicing you right open - was that when i awoke i had a massive swollen belly.

I asked the nurse what the hell was going on and she explained it was because they pump you full of CO2 to make space between your internal organs so they can get to your appendix easier! It also made my shoulders hurt like hell as if i'd been carrying a backpack - apparently that's the gas dissipating throughout your body.

In getting fit news, since I finished my first ultra the other week and signed up for another in September for my treadmill runs i've now introduced running with a 1kg weight in each hand, reducing the run to 5 miles and doing some lift rep exercises whilst running. Tough but great.

Yeah, I had keyhole, but still the same thing with the gas in the shoulder. Very strange. But obviously, cos I was in a Russian hospital, I couldn’t ask anyone anything. Was tremendously relaxing, as it goes, ceding control completely and without the ability to question anything.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Cheers pal.

Fuck! I’m running a marathon tomorrow!

Good luck buddy!

Everyone thinks I'm sad but I bloody love watching it all so will be following in front of the TV in Somerset.

Keep us updated on how you get on. Would love a race report once you've gotten over it all!

23 minutes ago, Quark said:

How'd you get on Hugh?

I actually ran a marathon today! 

It was hard, really hard, but got round. Official time was 4.50, however my watch - which paused whenever I was queuing for a toilet, said 4.39 so I choose to believe that.

Never again though, I’m proud to be able to say I’ve ran the London Marathon but it’s too far for me. Going to drop back down to halfs from now on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It was hard, really hard, but got round. Official time was 4.50, however my watch - which paused whenever I was queuing for a toilet, said 4.39 so I choose to believe that.

Never again though, I’m proud to be able to say I’ve ran the London Marathon but it’s too far for me. Going to drop back down to halfs from now on.

Congrats! Having done a few halfs I've no idea how anyone can do double. Big respect!

One week left to go of this diet nonsense, cant wait for a bit of cake!!

Hoping the knee stands up to a trial run tomorrow night. Strength work in the gym has progressed really nicely, but lower body and cardio has had to stall, which is a bit frustrating. Would be good to finish on an upward trajectory.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Nice one, congratulations. You may not want to do another one but the training will have left you in pretty good shape for Glasto ?

I tracked about 20 of my running mates today and it’s inspired me to get to a physio and sort my shit out;  been out injured for 12 weeks. I’ll be there next year ?

Congrats @Hugh Jass on the marathon!! I’m insanely jealous, would love to be able to do it. Hope you can enjoy a few days of rest now.

30 minutes ago, Quark said:

One week left to go of this diet nonsense, cant wait for a bit of cake!!

Hoping the knee stands up to a trial run tomorrow night. Strength work in the gym has progressed really nicely, but lower body and cardio has had to stall, which is a bit frustrating. Would be good to finish on an upward trajectory.

What’s wrong with your knee? I’m starting physio this week for my IT band. I’ve not been able to run since September and it’s annoying.