Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

2 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

4lb off of 3 stone down in 16 months - not the fastest but defo steady and much fitter. Still another 1.5-2 stone to go, but if I can get the 4lb off in the next 5 weeks then I'll be happier .. got a few weekends away and its going to be tough (I'm such a slow loser despite being on 1250 calories a day) - I may have to start running in the mornings as well as lifting in the evenings to give it all a 5 week boost !!!

Good work FF! Are you sticking with the crossfit and Olympic lifts still?

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I've always been quite active but its the calorie count I struggle with.

I was looking last night what a large dominos is in calories (almost 4,000) and I used to scoff one of those easily with a hangover :S

It's a pain in the arse to maintain, but myfitnesspal is really useful to put what you're earing in context, even if you just do it for a week.

Knee held up to a brutal spin class tonight, so it's back on the running train. Which is useful, as I finally bit the bullet this afternoon  and signed up for my first proper half marathon! I k how I can do the distance, so it's a time I'm after :)

20 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I was looking last night what a large dominos is in calories (almost 4,000) and I used to scoff one of those easily with a hangover :S

Oh wow, yes actually me too :-)

I og everything in My fitness pal the night before and stick with it , else I know I'll go off track. Counting macros as well so calories combines wth macros and I'm juggling amounts of chicken, brocolli , rice and peanut butter :-). All good though and I've learned so much

21 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Ain't that the truth. Makes me laugh when people complain that it's harder to lose than gain. That's because it's significantly easier to eat thousands more calories than you need than it is to eat at a deficit!!

19 hours ago, Quark said:

Good work FF! Are you sticking with the crossfit and Olympic lifts still?

It's a pain in the arse to maintain, but myfitnesspal is really useful to put what you're earing in context, even if you just do it for a week.

Knee held up to a brutal spin class tonight, so it's back on the running train. Which is useful, as I finally bit the bullet this afternoon  and signed up for my first proper half marathon! I k how I can do the distance, so it's a time I'm after :)

Quark yes, Crossfit , then Olympic lifting and powerlifting specific classes each once a week :-) Its slow slow progress and I get so frustrated that in my mind the weight should still be dropping off (yeah what do I know ) but my thoughst are years of bad eating /yoyo dieting and my metabolism is shot to pieces - still progress is progress , I'll never be slim slim but I certainly feel a lot lot better than I did and its all an adventure right, and I've really only just started it :-)

A coach last night said I was becoming a beast - I liked that - better than growing old sitiing infront of the tv :-)

2 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Quark yes, Crossfit , then Olympic lifting and powerlifting specific classes each once a week ?

Is Olympic Lifting a class?

21 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Same. I went spinning this morning, walked 15k around Sheffield (as I'm on holiday and free!) and had a tasty salad for lunch.....and then came home and scoffed the last half of an easter egg. Nightmare. 

Just now, Sasperella said:

A class above, amiright? ;)

Olympic lifts are the clean & jerk and the snatch, the two you see in olympic weightlifting.  Become massively popular these days, but technique is absolutely everything. Hence a growth in classes to actually teach you how to do them without breaking yourself in half!

Just now, Sasperella said:

Same. I went spinning this morning, walked 15k around Sheffield (as I'm on holiday and free!) and had a tasty salad for lunch.....and then came home and scoffed the last half of an easter egg. Nightmare. 

At my crossfit gym yes we have Olympic liftng and powerlifting classes as seperate classes as well as crossfit and quickfit (pure 30 minutes Hiit classes)

Olympic  lifting  concentrates on Snatch, squat snatch, power cleans , clean and jerks and clean and split jerks

Powerlifting classes concentrate on deadlift, backsquat and bench press

1 minute ago, Funkyfairy! said:

At my crossfit gym yes we have Olympic liftng and powerlifting classes as seperate classes as well as crossfit and quickfit (pure 30 minutes Hiit classes)

Olympic  lifting  concentrates on Snatch, squat snatch, power cleans , clean and jerks and clean and split jerks

Powerlifting classes concentrate on deadlift, backsquat and bench press

Better than my description!

Unfortunately I can't do clean & jerk.  Because of a rugby injury & subsequent operation I've not got enough flexibility in my wrist to be able to catch and hold a front squat properly or safely :(

1 minute ago, Quark said:

A class above, amiright? ;)

Olympic lifts are the clean & jerk and the snatch, the two you see in olympic weightlifting.  Become massively popular these days, but technique is absolutely everything. Hence a growth in classes to actually teach you how to do them without breaking yourself in half!

yeah I've done an 8 week course purely on the two tecchniques - just drilling and correcting in a small class - and still being new to the game doesn;t come smoothly still especially snatch - its not an easy move to learn to do fluidly - looks so easy until you try it lol

Last full day of my diet today!  Knee seems to be fully recovered and has stood up to everything thrown at it this week, and weighed in this morning at half a pound shy of a full stone off in 6 weeks with 4% body fat down.  Just got to make sure I don't celebrate with a massive pizza and a full pack of choc hob nobs! :lol:

Enjoy the BH weekend all!

• Upvote 2

It's bank holiday - go crazy! Just been to spin, everyone else keeping it up over the BH weekend?

I'm going to Margate (it's gone hipster apparently) to seee DJ Yoda and Jazzy Jeff later, and I'm going to Greenwich tomorrow night to see Daniel Kitson. So I'll give myself the day off to lie around watching cricket when I get back tomorrow, then just do some weights Monday (hopefully)...

For the last 12 months I've switched to cycling to and from work (4 miles each way) which has been good for my general fitness.  This is the time of year where I try to get as many longer walks as I can into my days off work to get the legs and bag properly acclimatised.  I generally do between 10 and 15 miles a day average at the festival, so I aim to be able to do that comfortably by the end of next month.  Generally it is the slog on and off site that has always buggered me up on previous years, but every year that seems to get better organised and easier for me.

Edited by Spindles

I’ve just finished walking the West highland way in Scotland, which is unsurprisingly really f**king hilly ?? this will put the little hillocks up to the Glastonbury Sign in full perspective, and I can dance giddily up them ??

32 minutes ago, Spindles said:

For the last 12 months I've switched to cycling to and from work (4 miles each way) which has been good for my general fitness.  This is the time of year where I try to get as many longer walks as I can into my days off work to get the legs and bag properly acclimatised.  

Do you suffer from chaffing then?

27 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I’ve just finished walking the West highland way in Scotland, which is unsurprisingly really f**king hilly ?? this will put the little hillocks up to the Glastonbury Sign in full perspective, and I can dance giddily up them ??

Ooh, me & Mrs Q are debating doing that. Will pick your brain over a cider if we catch up :)

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Quark said:

Ooh, me & Mrs Q are debating doing that. Will pick your brain over a cider if we catch up :)

Don’t debate it: get it booked. It’s absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. I didn’t think it’d be a patch on the Canadian Rockies, my previous benchmark for amazingness, but it very definitely matches it. It’s quite hard work though: don’t try and do over 15 miles a day regularly on it cos there’s a fuckton of hills and some of em are actual mountains ???

3 hours ago, Superscally said:

My email to the festival to see if I could do a running/yoga workshop did not beat fruit. I guess I will be fitter for not attending... ?

Noooo!! Do you want us all to tweet Emily to say it's the key thing the festival needs? 

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Don’t debate it: get it booked. It’s absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. I didn’t think it’d be a patch on the Canadian Rockies, my previous benchmark for amazingness, but it very definitely matches it. It’s quite hard work though: don’t try and do over 15 miles a day regularly on it cos there’s a fuckton of hills and some of em are actual mountains ???

How long did it take you? Just figuring out how much time we'd need to take off work.

4 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Noooo!! Do you want us all to tweet Emily to say it's the key thing the festival needs? 

Ha! If you could! Real Forrest Gump...comes every year...20th anniversary of his first...WWF, Peace Direct...will run to the festival from Liverpool...etc etc... Tbh...I'd crawl if I got a ticket...

Thanks for thinking of me! ?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Ha! If you could! Real Forrest Gump...comes every year...20th anniversary of his first...WWF, Peace Direct...will run to the festival from Liverpool...etc etc... Tbh...I'd crawl if I got a ticket...

Thanks for thinking of me! ?

On it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Quark said:

How long did it take you? Just figuring out how much time we'd need to take off work.

Six nights, so seven days walking. It starts in the northern Glasgow suburbs, then overnights at: 

Drymen

Rowardennan

Inveroran 

Inverarnan (that’s too long a day at 20 miles ?)

Kingshouse

Kinlochleven 

and then you’re in Fort William! Add on another night or two if you fancy getting up Ben Nevis/sitting down eating a lot. There’s a brilliant bag drop service that picks up and delivers all your bags, so you only need a daypack. Absolute genius and only £45. I felt so sorry for those daft people carrying all their stuff . . .