Lineup 2020

randlfan

3 minutes ago, R Shah said:

The biggest shock for me today is still how R+L have managed to nab the entirety of TRNSMT's headliners and Gerry Cinnamon. 

For a festival that had AM, The Killers and Queen headlining just 2 years ago, that's kinda insane.

Yeah Trnsmt nosedived in quality fast 

1 hour ago, R Shah said:

The biggest shock for me today is still how R+L have managed to nab the entirety of TRNSMT's headliners and Gerry Cinnamon.

People will probs look back at this years lineup and say it was so strong. Legit.

1 hour ago, R Shah said:

For a festival that had AM, The Killers and Queen headlining just 2 years ago, that's kinda insane.

Yeah that's a huge sea change. Its weird just how quickly TRNSMT has gone from feeling like a big deal to feeling like its operating in a level below these.

Also quite something a lot of people were talking down the idea of Lewis Capaldi doing this yet he's clearly available to bump Two Door's slot onto another day entirely. And another sign he's a bit of a big deal given that, as I think I've said on other threads, he was 3rd below Wolf Alice and Nothing but Thieves at Truck Festival, and I contrived to miss him entirely.

13 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Mental how R&L got all the shit TRNSMT acts and didn’t get Foals.

Fucking fuming.

Been thinking about the Olympia show on 2nd May literally every day since I got tickets, would kill to see them outdoors one day!

One thing I've noticed - for the last few years the likes of Foals, Catfish, BMTH etc. all get predicted as coheadliner possibilities and it never happens but then again without fail we predict them over and over the next few years. 

Maybe they're waiting for the stock of all 3 to drop just enough/gap since they last played long enough so they can sub? 

3 hours ago, TheAuxCord said:

I feel like every festival has struggled with their lineups this time, yet R&L have still managed to book the biggest band doing the rounds this year in Rage and the most influential artist in the UK right now in Stormzy. The rest of the lineup isn’t totally awful either and there’s some real talent in there (Fontaines, Declan, Run The Jewels, IDLES, Gallows, Dune Rats). Still plenty to be announced as well. Some might be being a little dramatic perhaps?

The festival costs £230 with about 170k tickets . It should be full of real talent and exciting acts especially when it books any genre it wants . Instead it's got a small number of high quality acts and then a load of absolute trash . This Booker is quite clearly a grade a twat . It's v fest from a few years ago with a tiny pointless rock stage that no one there cares about plus with rage against the machine tagged on . 

2 hours ago, Hart Attack said:

F3G36A1.jpg

In the last few years of  v it and reading we're both run by festival republic . They seem to have basically got rid of v and tried to  merge it into reading with a increased capacity . I think the fact v  disappeared and reading never sells out is a real failure for festival republic from where they were .  the sort of people who went to reading in the past can't really stand to be around the v fest crowd it now attracts and they have kind of moved on to other places like d/l , trees , slam dunk , green man truck etc . While the v fest type have taken over the festival somewhat and so you just have a sprinkling of popular alternative acts regardless of genre at best as the new crowd does not want this anymore on mass. They may as well get in Ed Sheeran , he's better than most the stuff they book anyway so why not ?

1 hour ago, R Shah said:

Been thinking about the Olympia show on 2nd May literally every day since I got tickets, would kill to see them outdoors one day!

Got a ticket for the Birmingham show in May and I’m making the trip up to Manc to see them at Castlefield Bowl in July too. One of my favourite bands ever. Really wish they’d start throwing some rarities into the setlist instead of keeping it largely the same for every show though. 

Like please just surprise me with Blue Blood, What Remains, Milk & Black Spiders, Bad Habit, Lonely Hunter or something. Just something they haven’t played in a few years.

6 hours ago, biggest032 said:

The festival costs £230 with about 170k tickets . It should be full of real talent and exciting acts especially when it books any genre it wants . Instead it's got a small number of high quality acts and then a load of absolute trash . This Booker is quite clearly a grade a twat . It's v fest from a few years ago with a tiny pointless rock stage that no one there cares about plus with rage against the machine tagged on . 

Tbf this argument completely hinges on what you’d refer to as ‘trash’ because I see plenty of talent on there, especially on smaller stages. I think it’s too heavily chartcentric this time round, but I hardly think we’re through the looking glass and into the realm of V Festival. Maybe when Justin Bieber or Beyoncé headline you can argue that case. 

Saw this on the Wikipedia page for lineups yesterday. Made me chuckle a bit.

Either someone knows something we don’t, or the person who edited this is massively in denial about the Courteeners subbing Rage!

GC > Courteeners > LG works rather well though.

EDIT: I absolutely know this is someone in denial, don’t worry.

7F8F6F0D-257F-455E-88CD-002D1B6E5B2A.png

Edited by Pottsy2913

Jesus christ, how are people still complaining that the acts are shit? Sure, there’s nobody particularly inspiring, but there are loads of huge names which very much deserve to be up there. If you want a rock festival then go somewhere else. If you want a mainstream festival with a larger focus on rock and indie than some other mainstream festivals, come to Reading. And ‘reading never sells out’, where’s this idea come from? haha

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pottsy2913 said:

Saw this on the Wikipedia page for lineups yesterday. Made me chuckle a bit.

Either someone knows something we don’t, or the person who edited this is massively in denial about the Courteeners subbing Rage!

GC > Courteeners > LG works rather well though.

EDIT: I absolutely know this is someone in denial, don’t worry.

7F8F6F0D-257F-455E-88CD-002D1B6E5B2A.png

Tool is not subbing rage 

15 hours ago, dum surfer said:

Yes? Someone like Lil Nas X who doesn’t even have an album out is infinitely more relevant to young people than a band who tops album charts.

Thats just how the music industry works at the moment unfortunately. No one gives a fuck about albums anymore and young people don’t buy them and young people for the most part are the ones who attend reading and leeds. 

and why many artists are trying to move away from the typical album release format. Its just not viable anymore.

I’m 17 and for the past few years I’ve been collecting CDs, I have about 50 now ranging from like Hozier, Years and Years, James Bay as a couple of first ones, to both NBT, last 2 Tame Impala, Lewis Capaldi, Green Day, 1975, Gerry Cinnamon, BMTH, SWMRS, just loads

And I don’t intend to stop because I like having the hard copy and the insert and it’s just a better experience 

I still use Spotify to walk to and from school but if I do hw or revision I will put a CD on, I have a list of ones I want as well like latest Slipknot, both IDLES and the new Jack Garratt, the Strokes and the 1975 ones when they come out

8 hours ago, R Shah said:

Reading has sold out entirely the past 4 years if I'm not mistaken.

it has sometimes , last year seemed genuinely busy and whenever they have Eminem that sells very well  but they often announce suspiciously late sell outs when  it really hasn't . To be fair i also meant reading and leeds but couldnt be arsed to type it fully remember v had two legs aswell with leeds probably never truly selling out more than the odd day over the years.

2 hours ago, Quorn said:

Jesus christ, how are people still complaining that the acts are shit? Sure, there’s nobody particularly inspiring, but there are loads of huge names which very much deserve to be up there. If you want a rock festival then go somewhere else. If you want a mainstream festival with a larger focus on rock and indie than some other mainstream festivals, come to Reading. And ‘reading never sells out’, where’s this idea come from? haha

🙇🏼🙇🏼🙇🏼

2 hours ago, Quorn said:

The words trash and shit are very probably too strong but yes its that they increasingly dont get the most exciting acts in alot of genres . I agree there is often a good amount of quality acts on the smaller stages but sadly alot of these seem to get small crowds these days for the size of festival there playing . The festival also gets high quality headliners most of the time . The area where i feel the festival is poor now is in that middle ground and i think a lot of these smaller festivals are gobbling up the most exciting acts in there genre by giving them headline slots and just wanting them more . Reading is very strong at getting the chart acts of this size which is just not my thing .  Again i see no reason why they should not book big pop headliners and think they should embrace it  , most of the people there would like it and it would  sell more tickets . Its not that i hate the festival ive been every year for ages but just think it could be so much better looking at similar festivals around europe/the world .

2 hours ago, TheAuxCord said:

Tbf this argument completely hinges on what you’d refer to as ‘trash’ because I see plenty of talent on there, especially on smaller stages. I think it’s too heavily chartcentric this time round, but I hardly think we’re through the looking glass and into the realm of V Festival. Maybe when Justin Bieber or Beyoncé headline you can argue that case. 

hey dont knock beyonce would be a great and interesting headliner for modern reading as would  lana del ray  or taylor swift , id prefer all 3 to liam . I am not bashing the festival for booking non rock acts . That lock up is horrible this year and the worst stage there in terms of quality . Used to love that stage too . 

10 hours ago, R Shah said:

One thing I've noticed - for the last few years the likes of Foals, Catfish, BMTH etc. all get predicted as coheadliner possibilities and it never happens but then again without fail we predict them over and over the next few years. 

Maybe they're waiting for the stock of all 3 to drop just enough/gap since they last played long enough so they can sub? 

8 hours ago, TheWaters said:

Got a ticket for the Birmingham show in May and I’m making the trip up to Manc to see them at Castlefield Bowl in July too. One of my favourite bands ever. Really wish they’d start throwing some rarities into the setlist instead of keeping it largely the same for every show though. 

Like please just surprise me with Blue Blood, What Remains, Milk & Black Spiders, Bad Habit, Lonely Hunter or something. Just something they haven’t played in a few years.

Incidentally, with Foals, I think its quite something that they are pressing on with shows in Singapore and Japan this week while other acts (Green Day and Stormzy among them, I think) pulled their tours of the region.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, biggest032 said:

hey dont knock beyonce would be a great and interesting headliner for modern reading as would  lana del ray  or taylor swift , id prefer all 3 to liam . I am not bashing the festival for booking non rock acts . That lock up is horrible this year and the worst stage there in terms of quality . Used to love that stage too . 

Beyoncé and Taylor Swift at Reading and Leeds? Might as well just get the Biebs in as well why not if that’s your thinking.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Beyoncé and Taylor Swift at Reading and Leeds? Might as well just get the Biebs in as well why not if that’s your thinking.

that’ll never happen, relax

all this talk because fucking lewis capaldi, one of the biggest acts in the country right now, got announced to be playing one of the biggest festivals in the country

reading know their audience and a large amount of people going will want to see him, i’m surprised he wasn’t on the first announcement

you guys need to chill lol

Edited by defender4

It's time someone creates a festival that is similar to how R&L used to be.

In terms of rock festivals, TRNSMT leans a little too much towards just Indie, Download leans a little too much towards metal. R&L used to book bands from across the board.

It doesn't even necessarily have to just be rock; get some dance and hip hop in too. As in, the actual good stuff from those genres and not flavour of the month type stuff.

Edited by VCK
  • Upvote 1