Lineup 2020

randlfan

8 hours ago, Hart Attack said:

Even V had the occasional token rock act - Muse, Prodigy, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers...

There was that year Morrissey and Radiohead headlined. QOTSA, Placebo and Pixies have all played there too. They even had Sonic Youth play in 2005, when they've not done Reading since the 90s.

It was only the past ten years or so that it really became the pop festival it's been known for. Before then there was a lot of alternative rock type bands on the bill year in, year out.

1 minute ago, dum surfer said:

This is actually the biggest trend in the industry right now and the reason for a lot of feuds between artists. Throwing in digital albums with merchandise that the people buying won’t listen to. 

ive had it bought brockhampton merchandise and got two digital download codes for Ginger, never even opened the email

Oh didn't realise this was a thing - thats just stupid, I have only received physical ones like this and they just sit on a shelf. 

1 hour ago, dum surfer said:

? Its not a lie though is it, you just have to look at the top “rock” songs of the last decade where acts like imagine dragons top the list.

I’m not saying rock is going anywhere. Rock will always be around, but, until times change rock will continue to be irrelevant in the mainstream 

Rock isn't dead, it's just not as popular in the mainstream as it was 15 years ago. There's still good bands out there, just not many who you can see being bumped up to headliners in the next few years.

But watch Royal Blood's performance from last year and take note of the reaction to them from the mostly young crowd. There is still very much a market for the genre among youngsters.

Edited by VCK

10 minutes ago, VCK said:

Rock isn't dead, it's just not as popular in the mainstream as it was 15 years ago. There's still good bands out there, just not many who you can see being bumped up to headliners in the next few years.

But watch Royal Blood's performance from last year and take note of the reaction to them from the mostly young crowd. There is still very much a market for the genre among youngsters.

This is exactly what i mean. Rock is the genre i mainly listen to, there are hundreds of great bands out there putting in hard work and releasing excellent material but you average person doesn’t care. also i agree there are still lots of young people that do care about rock music me being one of them but it is getting few and far between 

13 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Yup, there it is, the first ‘rock is dead’ for 2020.

Thta makes it 32 years in a row that people have been saying that rock is dead.

See ya next year folks for number 33

Again I never said rock was dead as in its going to go away. But culturally at this point in time rock music is irrelevant in the mainstream.

Edited by dum surfer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Neck Deep just announced their new album will be out at the end of July. Still think they’ll be announced, maybe even a secret set? 

Secret set in the pit under a fake name like Don Broco in 2017 would go down well.

If we get a big secret set this year I’m saying it’ll be Biffy surely. Kasabian or RHCP could probably do one too but I reckon Kasabian will do a secret set at Glasto with Solstice being the weekend before and whatnot. 

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’ve just spent the last half an hour listening to 100 gecs and I don’t know what the fuck that was but I couldn’t skip a single minute because I had no clue where each song was heading next. They’re completely batshit but I think I liked it. 

Lol their music is genuinely insane can’t wait to see what their live show is gonna be like

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’ve just spent the last half an hour listening to 100 gecs and I don’t know what the fuck that was but I couldn’t skip a single minute because I had no clue where each song was heading next. They’re completely batshit but I think I liked it. 

They’re beautifully insane aren’t they? Loved them to begin with but love them more and more with every listen. They’re supposed to be mental live, great booking imo.

1 hour ago, dum surfer said:

Unfortunately album charts mean nothing these days. It doesn’t matter if you have a number 1 album because people don’t listen to physical music anymore

Mate im not on about physical music i know people dont buy physical discs ranymore. You do realise album charts along with singles charts have converted to downloads and streams?why would they differ? All those bands i mentioned have been number 1 in album/streaming charts. No one buys physical music anymore as you said. 

24 minutes ago, Rhcp1 said:

Mate im not on about physical music i know people dont buy physical discs ranymore. You do realise album charts along with singles charts have converted to downloads and streams?why would they differ? All those bands i mentioned have been number 1 in album/streaming charts. No one buys physical music anymore as you said. 

Even still this does not accurately reflect how people listen to music, people tend to listen to single tracks as opposed to full albums and album charts whilst taking streaming into account is still heavily weighted towards physical/digital purchases. 

1 stream of a single song is unlikely to count as an album stream as that would be massively disproportionate 

using the album charts formula, streams upon release also won’t truly reflect an albums success on streaming platforms as it takes time for streams to accumulate where physical/digital album sales are instant and can immediately be defined

Edited by dum surfer

I feel like every festival has struggled with their lineups this time, yet R&L have still managed to book the biggest band doing the rounds this year in Rage and the most influential artist in the UK right now in Stormzy. The rest of the lineup isn’t totally awful either and there’s some real talent in there (Fontaines, Declan, Run The Jewels, IDLES, Gallows, Dune Rats). Still plenty to be announced as well. Some might be being a little dramatic perhaps?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheAuxCord said:

I feel like every festival has struggled with their lineups this time, yet R&L have still managed to book the biggest band doing the rounds this year in Rage and the most influential artist in the UK right now in Stormzy. The rest of the lineup isn’t totally awful either and there’s some real talent in there (Fontaines, Declan, Run The Jewels, IDLES, Gallows, Dune Rats). Still plenty to be announced as well. Some might be being a little dramatic perhaps?

I keep thinking that, looking at the lineup it should seem good but just something about it just seems a little bit uninspiring. There are some artists playing slots lower than they could have (Two Door, Lewis Capaldi third down, All Time Low, Idles). There are some cool bookings elsewhere too. The headliners are definitely a good bunch, but I guess since they appeal to 3 very different audiences a lot of people will see it as 'there's only one headliner I care about'. That and a couple more 'mainstream' bookings probably put a lot of people off. But I don't think its the worst thing they've booked. A lot of people are excited by the Stormzy day, the Liam day will keep an absolute tonne of people at main stage for the top 3 acts at least. and Rage are a massive get, even if there aren't many similar bands on, a lot of people will still get tickets just for them

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NerdsNatterings said:

I keep thinking that, looking at the lineup it should seem good but just something about it just seems a little bit uninspiring. There are some artists playing slots lower than they could have (Two Door, Lewis Capaldi third down, All Time Low, Idles). There are some cool bookings elsewhere too. The headliners are definitely a good bunch, but I guess since they appeal to 3 very different audiences a lot of people will see it as 'there's only one headliner I care about'. That and a couple more 'mainstream' bookings probably put a lot of people off. But I don't think its the worst thing they've booked. A lot of people are excited by the Stormzy day, the Liam day will keep an absolute tonne of people at main stage for the top 3 acts at least. and Rage are a massive get, even if there aren't many similar bands on, a lot of people will still get tickets just for them

Yeah, I get what you mean. I feel quite lucky to be in a scenario where most of the lineup appeals to me in some way but I get that those who are far more inclined to a certain style would think it’s lacking, especially those into heavier stuff. There’s no Bring Me/Biffy/Broco like was expected this year but I don’t think that’s a symptom of some decline into V Festival territory. The top three main stage acts on each day are all strong imo and there are decent alternatives on every stage. It just needs a few people who can bulk it up a bit. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, R Shah said:

Now then, will Friday day tickets go before Sunday?

Hmmm. Lewis Capaldi did just sell two O2 shows pretty much instantly, a hell of a lot of people will go just for him. Him and Stormzy on the same day will appeal to a lot of people. To me it depends how many Rage fans can stomach an undercard which doesn't suit them.

25 minutes ago, NerdsNatterings said:

Hmmm. Lewis Capaldi did just sell two O2 shows pretty much instantly, a hell of a lot of people will go just for him. Him and Stormzy on the same day will appeal to a lot of people. To me it depends how many Rage fans can stomach an undercard which doesn't suit them.

TBH, as much i personally hate the whole lineup, i always have a great time, i'm cool with a good time and RATM! I can see why they've got LC, not my cup of tea, but he will sell tickets, especially with Stormzy! I might moan a lot about the line up but fuck it! (yeah i been drinking)