Lineup 2020

randlfan

Capaldi is a huge booking but it’s just another one man and a f*cking guitar act. There are too many of them this year and they’re all boring as shit. I really hope this doesn’t become a thing but it will because they’ll all pull big crowds. 

Acts like Mabel and Dua Lipa have bangers. They’re not just moping with an acoustic guitar because some girl isn’t interested in them anymore (yes I know this is ironic coming from a pop punk fan). 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, TornShaun said:

AgileThisAfricangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

? Its not a lie though is it, you just have to look at the top “rock” songs of the last decade where acts like imagine dragons top the list.

I’m not saying rock is going anywhere. Rock will always be around, but, until times change rock will continue to be irrelevant in the mainstream 

Edited by dum surfer

4 minutes ago, dum surfer said:

? Its not a lie though is it, you just have to look at the top “rock” songs of the last decade where acts like imagine dragons top the list.

Genre's don't work like that! That's like saying 'X' film must be the greatest of all time because the most amount of people went to see it!

6 minutes ago, TornShaun said:

Genre's don't work like that! That's like saying 'X' film must be the greatest of all time because the most amount of people went to see it!

I’m not saying thats how genres work though? I’m saying rock is a shit state when bands like imagine dragons are topping decade ends list. There might be artists making excellent rock music but most people don’t care about them.

Rock music was much more popular 15 years ago and actually used to top the charts, it doesn’t anymore.

For example Bloc Partys banquet reached 13 on the charts, if they released that today it probably wouldn’t even be in the top 100

Edited by dum surfer

1 minute ago, dum surfer said:

II’m saying rock is a shit state when bands like imagine dragons are topping decade ends list. 

Rock music was much more popular 15 years ago and actually used to top the charts, it doesn’t anymore.

Oh i agree with you there in what you're saying! When you have the likes of shite like Aitch, D-Block Europe (ihad to actually google who they were) etc getting millions of views on YouTube, i really feel for this current generation of music lol

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, TornShaun said:

Oh i agree with you there in what you're saying! When you have the likes of shite like Aitch, D-Block Europe (ihad to actually google who they were) etc getting millions of views on YouTube, i really feel for this current generation of music lol

I do agree with this some of that genre or genres are utter shite, rock is much harder to produce at a high quality, DBE are mainly big because of live shows and older teenage girls that only listen to them

But they’re British and massive  in the British music scene with a lack of rock bands currently this is what we put up with

43 minutes ago, dum surfer said:

I’m not saying rock is going anywhere. Rock will always be around, but, until times change rock will continue to be irrelevant in the mainstream 

Slipknot, Bring Me the horizon, Greenday, Foo Fighters- just to name a few have all had number 1 albums globally in the 'mainstream album charts' recently or in the last year or so not just the rock/alternative charts but the main stream ones too so rock is far from irrelevant even in the mainstream. Its just not played to absolute death on radio like the "sad lad with an acoustic guitar" genre ie Lewis Capaldi, Ed Sheran, Dermot Kennedy etc. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rhcp1 said:

Slipknot, Bring Me the horizon, Greenday, Foo Fighters- just to name a few have all had number 1 albums globally in the 'mainstream album charts' recently or in the last year or so not just the rock/alternative charts but the main stream ones too so rock is far from irrelevant even in the mainstream. Its just not played to absolute death on radio like the "sad lad with an acoustic guitar" genre ie Lewis Capaldi, Ed Sheran, Dermot Kennedy etc. 

Unfortunately album charts mean nothing these days. It doesn’t matter if you have a number 1 album because people don’t listen to physical music anymore

5 minutes ago, TornShaun said:

But wasn't you just talking about Imagine Dragons topping something?

Single charts. Single charts remain relevant. People don’t consume music by listening to albums anymore, most people listen to single tracks 

For example, hip hop artists tend to have terrible album sales but excellent single sales and streams. The reason being the people who tend to still buy physical music are older people who don’t listen to hip hop is the reason genres like rock still top album charts.

Edited by dum surfer

4 minutes ago, dum surfer said:

Single charts. Single charts remain relevant. People don’t consume music by listening to albums anymore, most people listen to single tracks 

So someone knocks out a number 1 single and is never heard of again, yet a band that knocks out multiple numbers albums is less relevant?

4 minutes ago, TornShaun said:

So someone knocks out a number 1 single and is never heard of again, yet a band that knocks out multiple numbers albums is less relevant?

Yes? Someone like Lil Nas X who doesn’t even have an album out is infinitely more relevant to young people than a band who tops album charts.

Thats just how the music industry works at the moment unfortunately. No one gives a fuck about albums anymore and young people don’t buy them and young people for the most part are the ones who attend reading and leeds. 

and why many artists are trying to move away from the typical album release format. Its just not viable anymore.

Edited by dum surfer

2 minutes ago, dum surfer said:

Yes? Someone like Lil Nas X who doesn’t even have an album out is infinitely more relevant to young people than a band who tops album charts.

Thats just how the music industry works at the moment unfortunately. No one gives a fuck about albums anymore and young people don’t buy them and young people for the most part are the ones who attend reading and leeds. 

I give a fuck about albums! I'm pretty sure most people that like a certain artist would rather have a new album than just a single? But ok lol

3 minutes ago, TornShaun said:

I give a fuck about albums! I'm pretty sure most people that like a certain artist would rather have a new album than just a single? But ok lol

But thats you and i agree I enjoy albums and I enjoy buying it on vinyl. 

But most people do not, most young people probably haven’t bought a physical album (or even a digital album) in their life and thats what matters. 

Edited by dum surfer

So many bands only top the charts because they do ticket+album bundles and stuff like that - although in the 90s they used to pay people to buy albums in the shops so it never has been perfect really.

Side note but kinda prefer IOW lineup to reading even if it is a bit all over the place

Just now, dum surfer said:

But most people do not, most young people probably haven’t bought a physical album in their life and thats what matters. 

This^

The only albums I have are ones that came with gig tickets

Just now, dum surfer said:

But thats you and i agree I enjoy albums and I enjoy buying it on vinyl. 

But most people do not, most young people probably haven’t bought a physical album in their life and thats what matters. 

Yeah i'm 41, and only just started buying Vinyl lol Mainly because i can get signed at gigs that i go too! Anyways, discussion and arguements is good, and we're all friends with our own opinons! That's what i like abut this forum!

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

So many bands only top the charts because they do ticket+album bundles and stuff like that 

This is actually the biggest trend in the industry right now and the reason for a lot of feuds between artists. Throwing in digital albums with merchandise that the people buying won’t listen to. 

ive had it, i bought brockhampton merchandise and got two digital download codes for Ginger, never even opened the email but those digital download codes count towards album sales

Edited by dum surfer