Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

18 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

See, their 2017 slot is how I discovered The National in earnest, and remains the best of the three times I've seen them. It really worked for me. Was gutted to be away for the autumn run a few weeks ago.

Yeah, I enjoyed that set too. Also missed the autumn tour, so really pleased to see a good run of UK shows coming up. The supports for that London show are excellent. Would love to see Kevin Morby on the farm.

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2023 at 6:57 PM, FloopFiller said:

It wasn’t the train wreck it’s often talked of, but they made some weird choices, playing a lot of new unheard material and leaving out a bunch of their more well known songs. Tbh they were in a tricky spot either way because most of that crowd were just there to get a space for Foos and couldn’t give a f**k so I don’t think it would’ve made a difference even if they played a ‘hits’ set. 

Rule one of festivals, play the hits.

Second rule of festivals, if in doubt refer to rule one. 

16 hours ago, nikkic said:

This is to suggest The National have hits, per se. That large glut of new material aside - and I won't deny it was a large glut, because it was - I'd argue the rest of their selection was as near as you might get.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, nikkic said:

Yes, nothing causes a murmur around a festival audience that might not be full of devoted fans of a band than when they say we’ve a new album out and we are playing most of it today😉😊

41 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

This is to suggest The National have hits, per se. That large glut of new material aside - and I won't deny it was a large glut, because it was - I'd argue the rest of their selection was as near as you might get.

The National perfected a greatest hits setlist in 2022. They stuck to the whole setlist the entire tour. It went down a storm.

They're going looser now, but if they wanted a 'hits' setlist they just need to use a similar run of tracks to that tour.

24 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

The National perfected a greatest hits setlist in 2022. They stuck to the whole setlist the entire tour. It went down a storm.

They're going looser now, but if they wanted a 'hits' setlist they just need to use a similar run of tracks to that tour.

Fair enough. I think The National are one of those bands where - because of a relative lack of obvious singles success - the greatest hits can be quite subjective. But I digress!

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

Fair enough. I think The National are one of those bands where - because of a relative lack of obvious singles success - the greatest hits can be quite subjective. But I digress!

Oh I agree, I just meant if they wanted a crowd pleaser setlist they've done one.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, charlierc said:

What would a pre-SWB greatest hits set had looked like for that show at Glasto? I'm aware both of Guilty Party and Walk It Back together was excessive given that's 12 minutes of new song.

Something like this? Sticking to 12 songs.

1. I Should Live In Salt
  2. Bloodbuzz Ohio
  3. Mistaken For Strangers
  4. Don't Swallow The Cap
  5. Lemonworld
  6. Slow Show
  7. I Need My Girl
  8. England
  9. Fake Empire
  10. About Today
  11. Mr. November
  12. Terrible Love

54 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

1. I Should Live In Salt
  2. Bloodbuzz Ohio
  4. Don't Swallow The Cap
  5. Lemonworld
  6. Slow Show
  7. I Need My Girl
  8. England
  9. Fake Empire
  10. About Today
  11. Mr. November
  12. Terrible Love

12 is my lucky number, so I'll swap About Today out and drop Vanderlyle at the end

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

1. I Should Live In Salt
  2. Bloodbuzz Ohio
  4. Don't Swallow The Cap
  5. Lemonworld
  6. Slow Show
  7. I Need My Girl
  8. England
  9. Fake Empire
  10. About Today
  11. Mr. November
  12. Terrible Love

I think at that point, System Only Dreams... had come out so playing that wouldn't have been a mega sin. About Today feels like one that could've made the roster too.

8 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I think at that point, System Only Dreams... had come out so playing that wouldn't have been a mega sin. About Today feels like one that could've made the roster too.

I thought the criteria was pre SWB 😅 also I have About Today, number 10.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I thought the criteria was pre SWB 😅 also I have About Today, number 10.

I admit it sounds like I'm moving the goalposts haha.

Just checked and System Only Dreams... was released about 6 weeks before Glasto 17, so there's an argument for that one.

About Today is more that I'm surprised they didn't play it at that show, not the fact you had it as I just noted you did. Mistaken for Strangers is also a favourite so I'd be happy with that making the cut as it does in your setlist, and indeed, it was one of my favourites when I saw them at Ally Pally the other week.

Again, I went in blind - I think the only one I knew was Mr. November. But with the benefit of hindsight, About Today is a massive absence. Know it's a cliche, but about five months later, I watched Warrior for the first time, and the extended version of the song that scores its finale is just terrific stuff.

The Smile
Thursday 7th March - Dublin - 3Arena
Wednesday 13th March - Copenhagen - K.B. Hallen
Friday 15th March - Brussels - Forest National
Saturday 16th March - Amsterdam - AFAS Live
Monday 18th March - Brighton - Brighton Centre
Tuesday 19th March - Manchester - 02 Apollo
Wednesday 20th March - Glasgow - SEC Armadillo
Friday 22nd March – Birmingham O2 Academy
Saturday 23rd March - London - Alexandra Palace

23 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

Agreed x100. I saw them in Primavera last year, right at the start of the festival run they went on, and the setlist that night was astonisinghly good - the perfect balance of hits to deep cuts and fan favourites, it stands out in my mind as being maybe the strongest setlist I've ever seen from a band. It was certainly the closest I'll ever see to my own choice of a setlist being played on stage.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-national/2022/parc-del-forum-barcelona-spain-23b4fc33.html