Football 17/18

TheGayTent

6 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Kills me and I've always been an active person so it's not anything like that. I struggle at Glastonbury at times.

Yes, I'm of the PL era. Other than local football, I've only had to stand once at a match. Newcastle away at Marseille and it was hard work.

That'll probably still be the case even if they introduce it. 

Kills you? Standing up will not 'kill you' if you are an active and able person 

5 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

:lol: maybe an over exaggeration but going longer than 2 hours stood still does bother me. 

You wouldn’t have liked ‘the old days’ much then. Wasn’t uncommon to get to big games a couple of hours before kick off, so you’d be standing sometimes for 4 hours. 

I not long ago spent 4 1/2 hrs on the terrace at Schalke - but that was because one of our guys got the kick off time wrong :lol:

Doesn't strike me as a club where any manager is going to have a happy time at the moment.

I don't really know the ins and outs of what's going on up there but taking your first job at a club where coming second in what their fans expect to be a two horse race is a disaster, doesn't strike me as a wise move.

He's doing an excellent job with the youngsters at Libpool at the moment but it's a big step.

40 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Doesn't strike me as a club where any manager is going to have a happy time at the moment.

I don't really know the ins and outs of what's going on up there but taking your first job at a club where coming second in what their fans expect to be a two horse race is a disaster, doesn't strike me as a wise move.

He's doing an excellent job with the youngsters at Libpool at the moment but it's a big step.

I wouldn't go to Rangers if I was Gerrard or go for Gerrard if I was Rangers, I don't see him becoming a great manager. What is he doing with the youngsters that is excellent? Havent heard much about his time working with them.

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

What is he doing with the youngsters that is excellent? Havent heard much about his time working with them.

erm ... some of them are in one or other of the high-flying kids England squads.

I'm not pretending that Gerrard necessarily deserves any of the praise for that, but someone is going to get some praise of that anyway.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

You don’t know much about Rangers if you think that.

where else is he going to start? Liverpool? It would be a good way to start his managers career. Didn’t he turn down MK Dons? 

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

erm ... some of them are in one or other of the high-flying kids England squads.

I'm not pretending that Gerrard necessarily deserves any of the praise for that, but someone is going to get some praise of that anyway.

Don't Liverpool always have players in Englands youth squads? Note Im not saying he is doing an excellent or a terrible judge, Im just wondering how a fan/football supporter could make that assessment.

9 minutes ago, thetime said:

where else is he going to start? Liverpool? It would be a good way to start his managers career. Didn’t he turn down MK Dons? 

I once had a lesson in the politics of Scottish football off someone at the eFests Glastonbury meet up. I was very drunk and remember little of it other than it was quite interesting yet a little lengthy.

10 minutes ago, thetime said:

If you want to manage Liverpool the best route is to probably stay put, otherwise you get a job at a relegation threatened or football league club, struggle and damage your reputation.  He doesn't strike me as having a great football brain, maybe staying with the kids and motivating them may be the best role for him.

40 minutes ago, thetime said:

Rangers is a really tough gig at the moment. They are miles behind Celtic at present and show no signs of closing that gap...and Gomicide was right. Second place will never be good enough. And you are constantly under the spotlight in the Scottish media.

He'd be very wise to let the offer slip by.

40 minutes ago, thetime said:

The likes of MK Dons would make much more sense. 

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Spot on for me.

56 minutes ago, thetime said:

I’m factoring in the 10 in a row thing. The next Rangers manager will be under massive pressure to make sure that doesn’t happen. Mad as it seems, for some Gers fans that cannot be allowed to happen.

Im also factoring in the champs league money that Rodgers continues to enjoy. The majority of players Rangers brought in in January were loans till the end of this season.

Gerrard should steer clear in my view. I took a small punt on Pardew. Different stage of his career and not sure he’d get another decent gig in England.

11 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Mk dons would be a tough job, they will expect promotion next season as a minimum. If he can't deliver that then where does he go? I don't want him fishing for local jobs on the league below!

milton keynes will prob be in league 2 next season. Very much in a relegation fight