New security measures in place

brettredmayne

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bernie Kosar said:

Was anyone up stone circle on Sunday morning about 7/7:30?

place was swarming with security hanging around at the bottom, we got the fear and left but as we left 5 or 6 big beefy security men went charging up the hill whilst taking off badges and jackets on the way. I imagine to tax drugs but didn't stick around to find out haha

Some folk were apparently occupying the castle

Must say the security and police were amazing this year from what I saw. I'm sure there were exceptions to the rule but they seemed ever present but unintrusive. 

On the way in I got a bag that was already open searched, and my bag patted down, a little more than I've experienced before but not excessive.

I came in through gate D at about 2pm and there was no queue and didn't get searched. 

I left the site every morning to have a shower and only once did I get my bags checked on re-entry. The security guard asked if I had any illegals and I replied "no, just a load of shit." He didn't look properly, said something like "all women's bags are" and let me straight through. 

Arrived at 9pmish on Tuesday and parked in Orange. Usually sleep in the car and join the queue at 6ish, but instead met my mate who arrived around 2ish and were on site after queuing in the zig-zag lanes up to the gate.

From the comments on this thread, I was expecting a cavity search (!) but my bag got a good pat down from the chaps at the tables and was soon let into the queue.

On the Monday there were bag searches on re-entry from the car back onto the site, which I thought a little strange since the main part of the festival was over. I suppose in light of recent events I can see the need for it, as they targeted egress points. Loads of dibble on the gate and I felt reassured by the presence, and couldn't knock their attitude at all, all very good natured.

I arrived at Gate A around 10.30am. I did not get any bag checks or questions asked at all. I just went straight through very quickly. Which is not what I had been expecting!

I've been going to Glasto every year sine '97 and thought there were certain aspects of security this year that were absolute bastards. That is not to say they all were, but the aggression from some was very palpable.

My friend went to do a second car run through gate D on Thursday arvo. He was held for THIRTY minutes having everything on him taken apart and was also subject to a full strip search, looking in his arsehole too. What did they find? Nothing...but then had the audacity to tell him that they would be sending undercover police with dogs to follow him back to his tent. These people were plain clothes and were also abusing him for being German.

I did not have to put up with too much until I visited friends in Orange Campervan. On re-entry I was basically detained and harassed by a security guard for absolutely no reason I could fathom. He was just so utterly determined to "put me in my place" and also to find something illicit on me. He found nothing and when I explained what I do for a living, the limits of his role and how I wanted to talk to his superior he turned into a grovelly little c*** and let me go. My friends in that campervan field were routinely harassed, not even just going through the gate, but also whilst just hanging out at their campers. 

All that terrorism nonsense...it's like security just had a license to be utter bastards at their own discretion this year and I've rarely experienced anything like it at Glasto in 20 years.

Edited by GLASTONBURY BLOKE 923587

2 minutes ago, GLASTONBURY BLOKE 923587 said:

All that terrorism nonsense...it's like security just had a license to be utter bastards at their own discretion this year and I've rarely experienced anything like it at Glasto in 20 years.

Well your friend might have been hiding a 12" ceramic blade in his arsehole - that's a justifiable belief right? Maybe a big pipebomb?

That is pretty awful - I hope your mate took their numbers and details so you can write to the festival about it, and hopefully with your credentials get listened to...

5 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Well your friend might have been hiding a 12" ceramic blade in his arsehole - that's a justifiable belief right? Maybe a big pipebomb?

That is pretty awful - I hope your mate took their numbers and details so you can write to the festival about it, and hopefully with your credentials get listened to...

Unfortunately he got no details. I was waiting for him in the shade outside the gate as I had forgotten my ticket for re-entry, so he had to do the run alone. He was really upset and freaked out and just wanted to get back to his tent. He speaks good English but it appeared from his story that they were deliberately trying to confuse him linguistically.

Basically ruined both our Thursdays. I was not there as a first hand to witness it, and to help him out, but that scenario clearly descended into bullying and harassment and is an utter disgrace to happen to someone who has done nothing illegal at a festival.

Edited by GLASTONBURY BLOKE 923587

6 minutes ago, GLASTONBURY BLOKE 923587 said:

that scenario clearly descended into bullying and harassment and is an utter disgrace to happen to someone who has done nothing illegal at a festival.

Very sorry you and your friend had to experience this - totally out of order. There have always been a few bullies in the security but they did seem a bit special this year.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This might be a stupid question but do they actually have the authority to do that level of searching? Cavities and that?

It is not a stupid question and the problem is that people do not know their rights. Whoever those people were absolutely had no right to do that. If there was clear information that he was engaged in something illegal then maybe, but not without any evidence.

4 minutes ago, GLASTONBURY BLOKE 923587 said:

It is not a stupid question and the problem is that people do not know their rights. Whoever those people were absolutely had no right to do that. If there was clear information that he was engaged in something illegal then maybe, but not without any evidence.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I should probably read up on my rights a bit better for next time. That is some scary shit. Sorry for your friend having to go through it.

13 minutes ago, GLASTONBURY BLOKE 923587 said:

They have the right to deny him entry though, surely?

19 hours ago, Bernie Kosar said:

Was anyone up stone circle on Sunday morning about 7/7:30?

place was swarming with security hanging around at the bottom, we got the fear and left but as we left 5 or 6 big beefy security men went charging up the hill whilst taking off badges and jackets on the way. I imagine to tax drugs but didn't stick around to find out haha

I was there for sunrise. In a slightly altered state so a little hazy with the details.

At one point there was a couple of guys absolutely legging it through the field and then loads of security came out of nowhere and had them pinned down towards the bottom of the field. I asked someone what was going on and they said they thought they had jumped the fence. 

Didnt have no problems with security, made three trips in and out and wasnt checked once. A quick patdown on Tue night when we entered and that was it. 

Had to wait a while to do sexond run as they werent doing re-entries without joining the four hour queue again until wed night. Inconvenient but they did pre warn us and were coil about it. 

Most of the security guards we spoke to were sound, only real conversations we had with them was to have a bit craic on. 

Saw a few people kicked out, no idea what they done but any trouble seemed to be handled swiftly, took to a private point and dealt with from there. 

Police were present but not intrusive. I thibk they got it mostly right this year under the circumstances. 

42 minutes ago, GLASTONBURY BLOKE 923587 said:

My friend went to do a second car run through gate D on Thursday arvo. He was held for THIRTY minutes having everything on him taken apart and was also subject to a full strip search, looking in his arsehole too.

As somebody who teaches person search to security services, I can tell you these 'security' personnel were well outside their remit as searchers/security.

1/ Private security personnel are not permitted to touch you, unless it is for the purpose of conducting a search. Even then it is a glide over you and not a 'pat down'. Without your consent, it can technically be classed as assault.

2/ Private security cannot open any bags etc you may be carrying without your prior consent, (however purchasing a glasto ticket may be taken as agreeing to that consent in the terms and conditions!) 

3/ If you agree to a search, you may be asked to remove outer clothes ONLY, hat, gloves jacket, shoes. Beyond that you must be taken somewhere private, and under the supervision of a trained professional of the same sex.

5/ Internal searches may ONLY be carried out by a medically trained person.

6/ As a citizen of this country, you actually have more powers of arrest than a security guard! Security can only ask you to remain with them until police arrive. 

However....

Should you make a citizens arrest as should have been done here for assault, then if that person leaves they are then committing an offence for which they can be arrested.

On 20/06/2017 at 8:00 AM, russycarps said:

Exactly my thoughts too. I'll reserve judgement until I get to the festival, but these draconian measures make me feel very uneasy.

Sadly people have complete unquestioning faith and trust in the security services these days, as evidenced by this very thread. Worrying times.

Turns out they were bluffing all along.

I did find peoples attitude to the ramping up interesting though - I wonder if they're also pro-snoopers charter?

Light on the way in.

We left for a beer run Friday morning and on re-entry the girl was starring at my ticket, hard but all was fine. I got my bumbag checked by a bloke who was saying he felt guilty about it and it all felt weird 'just let people do what they want'. Security were nice but these 2 lads tried to walk past without being checked and the security guard had a go and then checked literally every part of their bags as punishment.