brettredmayne

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Interesting.

But...but... the eFests meet... :o

And seriously, sod having to walk for miles extra due to having to hunt for a camping spot. I got there at about midday once and it took us about two hours to find a (crap) spot.

where do you camp, Mr Z? I'm already fretting at arriving at about 14.30 on the Wednesday and not being able to find anywhere decent to pitch up

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

where do you camp, Mr Z? I'm already fretting at arriving at about 14.30 on the Wednesday and not being able to find anywhere decent to pitch up

Don't fret. Some people are VERY demanding with their camping spots - there are fields other than the extraordinarily crowded Pennards and Big Ground.

Most of the "I trekked hours" comes from people who walked to and through those before going anywhere else

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I like to aim for Row Mead. Fairly close to the loos as I'm getting old.

Just now, frostypaw said:

Don't fret. Some people are VERY demanding with their camping spots - there are fields other than the extraordinarily crowded Pennards and Big Ground.

Most of the "I trekked hours" comes from people who walked to and through those before going anywhere else

Yep. That's what happened.

Just now, The Nal said:

Always loads of space up in Hitchin Hill/Lime Kiln

Not last year - although that was most likely just be people heading to higher ground due to the atrocious ground conditions. Which as you more than anyone knows, won't be a problem this year right?

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Always loads of space up in Hitchin Hill/Lime Kiln

That's the plan, I reckon, in through PGA then head along that way (towards Big Ground) as far as we can till it looks full. Only got one medium sized tent this year, a 4 man pop up, so reckon we'll be able to squeeze in somewhere, but after 5 years of being through the gate at 8.10 and pitched up by 9.30 in a virtually empty Kidney Mead it's all a bit unknown.

18 hours ago, DeanoL said:

My problem with that is that huge queues present a major target unless they do some smart splitting and marshaling.

Absolutely - part of any new security procedures would have to include ensuring the safety of those in the queues. My guess is they'll be more heavily stewarded/policed than in previous years, which is probably no bad thing.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Depends what you class as decent. 

Now I may be way off here but I'm guessing you're too old and grumpy to wanna be in the thick of it at Pennards or somewhere.

You'll be fine for somewhere like Pylon or Bushy etc

yeah, that's the back up plan, going to head north first though, I think. I wake very early so I like to be strolling distance from Williams green etc so I can get a coffee and watch the late night stragglers come home 

11 minutes ago, incident said:

Not last year - although that was most likely just be people heading to higher ground due to the atrocious ground conditions. Which as you more than anyone knows, won't be a problem this year right?

No comment.

I got a space (one of the last granted) in Hitchin Hill at 9pm last year. Tent zipped to the pit for ZZ Top in 6 minutes flat!

10 minutes ago, Mardy said:

That's the plan, I reckon, in through PGA then head along that way (towards Big Ground) as far as we can till it looks full. Only got one medium sized tent this year, a 4 man pop up, so reckon we'll be able to squeeze in somewhere, but after 5 years of being through the gate at 8.10 and pitched up by 9.30 in a virtually empty Kidney Mead it's all a bit unknown.

You'll be fine mate yeah you'll get somewhere. Lovely quiet part of the festival for a kip.

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Can we get a transcript or general overview? Some of us are at work, pretending to work.

Dibble everywhere outside by the gates, going to search you all, will take forever, but please have patience.

Edited by stopwn1981

It all seems a bit for show. Appreciate need for heavy police presence at the gates (a weak point as seen in Manchester), but all the extra searching seems draconian - the recent threat is from 'jihadis'. They won't have a ticket and queue up quietly, and they will be very recognisable to police and security given the makeup of the Glastonbury crowd. Unfortunate but true.

I keep flip flopping on what I'm going to do going in.

Normally do one trip with a trolley, but considering doing just the tent then going back for a 2nd trip for the trolley later in the day when hopefully the queues have died down.

3 minutes ago, mazola said:

Normally do one trip with a trolley, but considering doing just the tent then going back for a 2nd trip for the trolley later in the day when hopefully the queues have died down.

Exactly what I will be doing. Best thing to do in the manic queues early on Wednesday. I wonder if you will be allowed to go to the re-entry gate with your full trolley? or will you have to go to the trolley checks bit with all the people coming in first time.

11 minutes ago, VolumetricFox said:

Unfortunately the twitter video cuts off, the youtube version is in full.

Extra info here: -

Social media for up to date info

Happy to pose for photos

Reinforce pack light and tags

999/101/security on site if there are problems

Have a good time

2 minutes ago, mazola said:

But will they have - that's the gamble! I'm still not sure how packing light gets you in quicker unless everyone does it.

Unless there are going to be fastrack lanes for people with next to no luggage. If you've little luggage, your particular search maybe quicker, but if 20000 people in front of you have a shit load, what's the benefit of packing light? You'll still be stood hours queueing to be searched, regardless of how much you have personally.

You could have very little, queue for ages, then go for a second run and queue for ages - therefore you might be better just doing one big trip.

4 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

But will they have - that's the gamble! I'm still not sure how packing light gets you in quicker unless everyone does it.

Unless there are going to be fastrack lanes for people with next to no luggage. If you've little luggage, your particular search maybe quicker, but if 20000 people in front of you have a shit load, what's the benefit of packing light? You'll still be stood hours queueing to be searched, regardless of how much you have personally.

You could have very little, queue for ages, then go for a second run and queue for ages - therefore you might be better just doing one big trip.

Any fast-track queue will only be relevant when you get within sight of the gate - before then you're all in it together, admittedly with the ability of usually nipping past over-burdened people while they're having one of their many breakdowns (physical and metaphorical).

8 minutes ago, iamstreety said:

Exactly what I will be doing. Best thing to do in the manic queues early on Wednesday. I wonder if you will be allowed to go to the re-entry gate with your full trolley? or will you have to go to the trolley checks bit with all the people coming in first time.

I'd imagine they'll still want to check it - presume you'll still be able to get to the gate area a bit quicker using re-entry lanes, but then have to join the 'slow' larger-load queue.  Not sure how that'll work though - presumably the start of that queue will be some way behind where the re'entry lane spits you out - are you a good citizen and join the back of the queue, or do you join from the side (in which case there's then a queue in the re-entry lane of people waiting to join from the side.

41 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Thanks mate. Certainly looks like it will be strongly enforced then.

Also on site they'll be more visible, will be wearing black shirts, vest armour and will be filming everyone with their pocket camera things.

Not a fan of this at all.