New security measures in place

brettredmayne

I'm fully aware the only a very small minority of muslims are Isis terrorists. But all Isis terrorists are Muslim. That's a fact. So all these extra searches are unnecessary for non Muslim white people. They should only search the people that look like a possible terrorist. That would speed up the entry process no end. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

I'm fully aware the only a very small minority of muslims are Isis terrorists. But all Isis terrorists are Muslim. That's a fact. So all these extra searches are unnecessary for non Muslim white people. They should only search the people that look like a possible terrorist. That would speed up the entry process no end. 

And how would you spot a terrorist?

do they have badges on? 

10 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

Have you ever heard of the discrimination act

or what ever it is actually called

26 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

I was about to bite at this, but that will solve nothing. 

Peace and Love to all. Chicken Bob, I think you need that more than most.

38 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

While the numbers and facts do not lie, and most of what you say is true, it's not as if they should be neglecting to search most white people while favouring non-whites for searches.

So while I agree that all Isis terrorists are in fact Muslims, and that of course not all (indeed not even most) Muslims are terrorists (a strawman all too readily thrown out there all too often when someone tries to rationally criticise what is objectively a doctrine that leads to the harm of minorities, women, children, and people in general when it forms the basis of a theocracy), you can't have a security team that primarily targets non-white people. Non-Muslims can be dangerous too, ya'know (even though statistically, and in terms of % of population, the numbers again do not lie). 

https://www.samharris.org/blog/item/in-defense-of-profiling

A rational take on the whole "profiling" affair.

In b4 "Racist", "bigot", "Islamophobe", "Not All Muslims...", "ISIS is not Islamic" (they are, they keep telling us they are, and they're following the core principles of their religious texts, you know), "You're more likely to be killed by a right-wing white terrorist" (blatantly false), and "Religion of Peace" (demonstrably false)

Edited by SpeakingmyChanguage

5 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

I'm really worried about them taking make up off me, you know like palettes with mirrors and stuff? Has anyone ever had stuff like that confiscated? 

If they find a glass mirror, it will be confiscated. If they find glass perfume bottles, it will be confiscated.

The common theme here would suggest you shouldn't be taking any glass.

You can get plastic mirrors from Amazon. You can get plastic tubs to transfer make-up into, like my wife has done for this festival 

45 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

I'll have to try to avoid the sun in the run up to the festival in case I get too much of a sun tan then.

Perhaps I can get a colour swatch so i know what shades to avoid.

1 minute ago, zico martin said:

I'll have to try to avoid the sun in the run up to the festival in case I get too much of a sun tan then.

Perhaps I can get a colour swatch so i know what shades to avoid.

In tea terms, I'd say anything longer than a 30-second brew (round, not pyramid bag) and anything less than .25 pint gush of milk would result in a thorough pat down 

23 hours ago, Slugworth said:

All this could potentially make getting tickets in 2019 a doddle.

Just like last years weather was supposed to?

23 hours ago, Slugworth said:

Me neither. It's putting a downer on it tbh

Maybe we could get them to dress as oompah loompahs, would that kill your buzz less?

1 hour ago, Chicken Bob said:

One of our group has brown skin, should I advise him he'll be subject to racial profiling under your suggested way of working? Or should I leave it as surprise for the gate. Also, I'm of Irish descent, should I be worried that security think I'm part of the IRA? 

"Look like a terrorist". Fucking hell. 

Edited by Rubber Soldier

24 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

One of our group has brown skin, should I advise him he'll be subject to racial profiling under your suggested way of working? Or should I leave it as surprise for the gate. Also, I'm of Irish descent, should I be worried that security think I'm part of the IRA? 

"Look like a terrorist". Fucking hell. 

Fully agree that this is an ill-advised statement for someone to make, though in terms of the reality of the situation as it stands now in 2017, and the linear nature of how time passes, comparisons to IRA terrorism are simply a false equivalence to to threats we face today.

It is definitely a fact that an elderly white couple queuing at an airport would objectively be less of a security concern than a  Middle-eastern person in Islamic Garb. I mean, one of those two choices is simply more likely, statistically speaking, to identify with the principles of Jihad than the other, no matter how peaceful the latter or hostile the former may be. This isn't even a matter of debate, it is a matter of reality being reality, numbers being numbers, and risk assessments being risk assessments.

As Sam Harris puts it very concisely: "To say that ethnicity, gender, age, nationality, dress, traveling companions, behavior in the terminal, and other outward appearances offer no indication of a person’s beliefs or terrorist potential is either quite crazy or totally dishonest."

It makes for a very interesting conversation, but sadly one where people dance around some obvious core realities in order to avoid hurt feelings or carry on virtue signalling to everyone so they can prove just how "not-racist" they are

Still though, I can't condone searches being weighted toward one race more than another at Glastonbury, because of the slippery slopey-ness of it all first of all. Who gets to define the line of which colour is dangerous and which isn't? 

I think, in the absence of prior intelligence or information to the contrary, treating each festival goer just about equally in terms of security will remain the most balanced way, even some realities have to be ignored

3 minutes ago, SpeakingmyChanguage said:

Fully agree that this is an ill-advised statement for someone to make, though in terms of the reality of the situation as it stands now in 2017, and the linear nature of how time passes, comparisons to IRA terrorism are simply a false equivalence to to threats we face today.

It is definitely a fact that an elderly white couple queuing at an airport would objectively be less of a security concern than a  Middle-eastern person in Islamic Garb. I mean, one of those two choices is simply more likely, statistically speaking, to identify with the principles of Jihad than the other, no matter how peaceful the latter or hostile the former may be. This isn't even a matter of debate, it is a matter of reality being reality, numbers being numbers, and risk assessments being risk assessments

It makes for a very interesting conversation, but sadly one where people dance around some obvious core realities in order to avoid hurt feelings or carry on virtue signalling to everyone so they can prove just how "not-racist" they are

Still though, I can't condone searches being weighted toward one race more than another at Glastonbury, because of the slippery slopey-ness of it all first of all. Who gets to define the line of which colour is dangerous and which isn't? 

I think, in the absence of prior intelligence or information to the contrary, treating each festival goer just about equally in terms of security will remain the most balanced way, even some realities have to be ignored

Not standing for racial profiling has nothing to do with "avoiding hurt feelings" or trying to prove that someone isn't s racist. A decent human being just isn't racist and that's it. What are the obvious core realities we're apparently dancing around? ISIS represent probably less than 1% of the Muslim population, and anyone trying to condone racial profiling of the rest of the 99% needs to take a long hard look at themselves. I do realise you personally aren't saying that though!

13 minutes ago, wilko8 said:

It's also pretty ridiculous to suggest racial profiling based on whether people are Muslim or not. Because last time I checked there wasn't a Muslim race, just a religion. 

Exactly. It's mind boggling. Unless they're proposing we conduct full bag and cavity searches on everyone between Caucasian  and Black on the colour scale? 

Edited by Rubber Soldier

I'm just going by my usual principles of treating every c**t the same as I'd treat any other c**t. I use the C word as a term of endearment, here.

I judge people based on their beliefs and the actions that they take as a result of their beliefs. That's not to say I'm trying to be "colourblind" like David Brent. I see other colours of skin because, well, there are different tones of skin out there.

I'd never link increased or decreased levels of melanin to a certain behaviour or belief however, nor would I assume a group of people of the same colour hold the same beliefs. Individual beliefs and behaviour are ample enough facets for me to judge a person on, so much so that skin colour or race doesn't really enter into it for me in everyday life.

When religious beliefs start expanding past another person's swinging space and into my swinging space, though, then obviously issues arise. Tis the reason we're goddamn blessed (excuse the phrase) to be living in a largely secular society that allows for free speech / freedom of/from religion

1 hour ago, Chicken Bob said:

Why not just have different entrances for us non-white people? Cretin

1 hour ago, MadScientist said:

I'm really worried about them taking make up off me, you know like palettes with mirrors and stuff? Has anyone ever had stuff like that confiscated? 

Don't pack it then. Glass is banned, always has been. 

2 hours ago, Chicken Bob said:

How exactly do you know if a white person isn't a Muslim?  It's a religion, not a race, you idiot.

What do you think would happen if the only people to get searched were the ones that "look like a terrorist"??

Firstly, what do terrorists look like? And secondly, as soon as terrorists figure out what the standard definition of "looking like a terrorist" is, do you think they'll continue to look like that??

5 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

So if any type of profiling based on current threats is a no go, then we are back to every last person being searched throughly, if indeed they are genuinely worried about the festival being a target.

No, they could just do actual random searches