New security measures in place

brettredmayne

They'll be using this period as target practise I suspect, get their speed up and cover all the staff vehicles.

I picture this being not much fun at all :( These idiots have all been proper four-lions bonkers, it's all going to be pointless and just a lot of hassle. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day whatever the queue or searches it's all to get us into the best place in the world. Waiting an extra couple of hours and getting a more thorough search really isn't the end of the world. Just make sure you've got suncream and water for the queue and make some friends while you're there! 

13 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Still can't see a 'jihadi' having a ticket, so kettling thousands of people for hours on end in 30 degree heat, getting progressively more pissed up and off has the potential to end badly.

Well firstly not all terrorists are 'jihadis' mate.

The IRA were not 'jihadis'. There is also nothing stopping a British white man running around with a knife is there.

It will be annoying but I'd rather we were all safe. Wouldn't you?

1 hour ago, stopwn1981 said:

No horror stories from Download or Isle of Wight and they were closer to recent events. Not sure that caravan story holds up. 30 coppers! 30! And 4 dogs - on one caravan? 

Perhaps I didn't word it correctly, all of them weren't on his caravan, that was the cumulative number that they saw doing the searches.

6 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

Well firstly not all terrorists are 'jihadis' mate.

The IRA were not 'jihadis'. There is also nothing stopping a British white man running around with a knife is there.

It will be annoying but I'd rather we were all safe. Wouldn't you?

Couldn't agree more, but that's not the reason security has been stepped up this year is it? It's been stepped up in reaction to the ISIS form of terrorism specifically. 

3 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Couldn't agree more, but that's not the reason security has been stepped up this year is it? It's been stepped up in reaction to the ISIS form of terrorism specifically. 

Indeed that is correct, it doesn't mean they'll just stop at looking for bombs though.

9 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

Indeed that is correct, it doesn't mean they'll just stop at looking for bombs though.

However the time that would be taken up and the HUGE resource drain of dealing with all the folk bringing in a little percy would cause the whole system to grind to an utter halt and jam itself up before it was faintly possible that they could be catching anyone particularly suspect.

It would then result in a vast bulge of queue and a sizeable target - they can't allow that to happen, they'd be endangering lives if they went down that route.

Explosives dogs, targeted vehicle search then bag checks for weapons and dodginess is doable - much more and it would just make things worse with a relatively exposed exterior target rather than one that as a minimum required registration and a healthy dose of organisation and luck

4 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

However the time that would be taken up and the HUGE resource drain of dealing with all the folk bringing in a little percy would cause the whole system to grind to an utter halt and jam itself up before it was faintly possible that they could be catching anyone particularly suspect.

It would then result in a vast bulge of queue and a sizeable target - they can't allow that to happen, they'd be endangering lives if they went down that route.

Explosives dogs, targeted vehicle search then bag checks for weapons and dodginess is doable - much more and it would just make things worse with a relatively exposed exterior target rather than one that as a minimum required registration and a healthy dose of organisation and luck

Again, couldn't agree more. It's a real fine balancing act in a lot of ways. 

1 minute ago, frostypaw said:

I don't think by any means they will search absolutely everybody for weapons as that will be implausible and you are right, could possibly endanger lives with a sizeable target. But with additional security + more searches possible people will be sitting ducks any way. Obviously the focus will be on explosives but in reality you just have to look at the London Bridge attack which was with a vehicle and knives. They would be foolish to not implore more security tactics based on that and I'm happy for them to do so if it means it stops someone.

13 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

I don't think by any means they will search absolutely everybody for weapons as that will be implausible and you are right, could possibly endanger lives with a sizeable target. But with additional security + more searches possible people will be sitting ducks any way. Obviously the focus will be on explosives but in reality you just have to look at the London Bridge attack which was with a vehicle and knives. They would be foolish to not implore more security tactics based on that and I'm happy for them to do so if it means it stops someone.

They searched eveyone at Download into the camp sites and again when entering the arena

3 minutes ago, DeadAmos said:

They searched eveyone at Download into the camp sites and again when entering the arena

They didn't search my friends (as posted earlier). 

Searching everyone just isn't mathematically possible here. They'll be more stringent, there will be more of them but everyone won't have their shit emptied inside out. 

Edited by popcornmaster

1 minute ago, DeadAmos said:

Glastonbury is much bigger than Download though, no doubt they will ramp up the number of searches but really do doubt everybody is going to get searched.

3 minutes ago, DeadAmos said:

I stand corrected :rolleyes: From what I saw most people were searched

Depends what you mean by searched. If everyone is patted down that's fair enough, but turf out everyone's bag that they've crammed to the hilt with 5 days worth of living and we'll be queuing till the end of time.

If you are going camping for 5 days you will have cutlery etc so there's no point looking for stuff like that as there'll be loads. Searches will be for explosives so hopefully there will be loads of dogs so if you do get searched it'll just be a quick sniff by the dog and on you go. These dogs will be specifically for explosives. So normal procedures should apply  

Just now, dn3876 said:

If you are going camping for 5 days you will have cutlery etc so there's no point looking for stuff like that as there'll be loads. Searches will be for explosives so hopefully there will be loads of dogs so if you do get searched it'll just be a quick sniff by the dog and on you go. These dogs will be specifically for explosives. So normal procedures should apply  

But the weed I got is banging!

"Taxi"

Packing my 90L rucksack now. I've just put most things into small Sainsburys bags so if they want a full bag search I can take five of those out and quickly put them back in.

Incidentally the rucksack is also a Sainsburys orange...make of that what you will.

3 minutes ago, dn3876 said:

I hope this is correct but still a bit apprehensive about the Police and how they conduct themselves with these new security measures.This festival has always been a place of understanding to those that attend but there have been rumblings with locals for years. Last years travel chaos upset many and the police have to listen to their concerns as well as ours. I am convinced these new measures, or rather old measures being more robustly applied is due to the heightened threat from idiots but could also be used to target other so called crimes. Fingers crossed it's not to intrusive and I am certain we are all still going to have a party.

11 minutes ago, mashedonmud said:

I hope this is correct but still a bit apprehensive about the Police and how they conduct themselves with these new security measures.This festival has always been a place of understanding to those that attend but there have been rumblings with locals for years. Last years travel chaos upset many and the police have to listen to their concerns as well as ours. I am convinced these new measures, or rather old measures being more robustly applied is due to the heightened threat from idiots but could also be used to target other so called crimes. Fingers crossed it's not to intrusive and I am certain we are all still going to have a party.

I'm sure a thorough search of everyone would lead to the police not being able to deal with it's outcome thus stopping the more pressing nature of their role. 

6 minutes ago, dn3876 said:

I'm sure a thorough search of everyone would lead to the police not being able to deal with it's outcome thus stopping the more pressing nature of their role. 

I shall endeavour to curb my negative thoughts and jump on the train of positivity. I'm sure you are correcct.:D

3 hours ago, discopete said:

A friend of a friend posted on fb today that he had his car and caravan searched four times on the way in through the blue gate today. Four sniffer dogs and 30 police turning things upside down and inside out.

see this is what puts me on edge. sniffer dogs sniffing for what? just for explosive material?