Explosion at the M.E.N

H.M.V

10 minutes ago, sunnydaysblue said:

This has deeply saddened and disgusted me in equal measure. I travel to Manchester everyday so it is a concern but what else are we supposed to do? Not live?

Exactly. It took me nearly 4 hours to get to work. Walking towards the past the arndale and shudehill was a very surreal experience. Almost silent. You could hear nothing other than the constant trudging of feet.

I have things to do though... I say "bollocks" if people think some bastard with a bomb is gunna stop me.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

right to post this I think, fundraising link for the victims and their families, its legit as its organised by the Manchester evening news 
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/westandtogethermanchester

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/HomelessHeroManchester?utm_id=60&utm_term=Yp9ZQ62NJ I've come across this one too. Funds being raised for the homeless chap who desperately tried to help some of the injured. Nearly £3k raised already of just a £300 goal. 

I don't really have the right words to piece any of this together, I hope the missing people are found safely - big hugs to all!

The 'person' who did this, doesn't deserve any of the media coverage. Doesn't deserve anything. My thoughts are with the people who went to enjoy their pop concert!

Yeah this is pretty fucked up stuff. I've been Uni at Manchester for 2 years now and been happy to call it home for that time so this cuts a bit deep today and even though I've been in the library revising for my exam it stills odd. It's even been so empty in here and it's exams. Just feels odd and my housemate had an exam near the city centre when the Arnadale was evacuated and there has been controlled explosions by the bomb squad in the area I live so it's all a bit odd. Thoughts are with the families effected and I hope all the missing people are found. 

Though I'm not gonna let this deter me from doing the things I love. I've been looking forward to Slam Dunk festival for ages and it sits right at the end of a whole chunk of exams and I'm gonna go and I'm gonna have a good time watching some of my favourite shitty Pop Punk/Emo/Post Hardcore bands with some of my favourite people

Edited by justanothername

Partner's son and boyfriend were at the gig. Thankfully not involved. This comes after my daughter was in Paris in the same area as the shootings that night.

Been to the MEN on numerous occasions and gigs in the city with partners and kids over the years. Never felt worried but we've been saying for three or four years that the MEN is a target and as soon as we heard we knew exactly where it would have been and when.

Too fucking close to home this, too fucking close.

Ain't got a clue what the answer is although I'd like to have a few minutes in a room with one of them.

1 hour ago, phillyfaddle said:

Any thoughts on how it's strange that US intelligence have released the name of the bomber, when the UK declined to do so while investigations into his network were underway?

UK wanted to keep it under wraps, I suspect to stop any possible accomplices panicking and fleeing when they found out the police knew who he was. Obviously someone in the US couldn't help bragging to the press. This is not the first time they've disclosed info (see Israel's intelligence about laptop bombs) Morons.

Not sure if anyone has posted this but just got this in an email

You can help The British Red Cross Society raise money for this great cause by donating directly to their campaign page - http://campaign.justgiving.com/campaigns/charity/redcross/manchesteremergencyfund.

JustGiving sends your donation straight to The British Red Cross Society and automatically reclaims Gift Aid if you are a UK taxpayer, so your donation is worth even more. 

Thank you for your support!

So sad my thoughts are with the familes of lost and injured loved ones! Im not sure what sort of world has been created for our future generations to grow up in anymore.Manchester take care of yourselves and those around you! Somehow we have to keep the world turning with love and peace. 

not sure if this has already been posted but think its a great poem, would love to see him perform this at glastonbury, and maybe even write a similar one about the festival

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/tony-walsh-poem-manchester-vigil-13082050

still coming to terms with what happened last night, i didn't know anyone involved personally but i have colleagues who had daughters and nieces there, thankfully they are safe but it must be so hard for those still waiting to find out

cycled past the suspects home on the way home from work tonight, strange seeing armed police on the streets of my neighbourhood, something i never thought id see and hopefully not something we'll become used to seeing

Not sure if this is the right place, or the right time, but I was listening to this song just now, and it just seemed to fit. Massive respect to the people of Manchester, for the way they have looked after each other over the last 24 hours. They've done themselves, and the whole country, proud.

14 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Off to see Stewart Lee tonight. The atmosphere will be very odd. 

I'd literally have forgotten to go if I hadn't combed through this thread when I got home from work today. Thanks for reminding me, he did an absolutely amazing job of taking my mind off the horrendous shit of the past 24 hours.

I stayed awake all night last night; firstly trying to figure out what had happened, then worrying and hoping nobody was badly hurt, then panicking and hoping it wasn't intentional, and then just disbelief. Going into work today wasn't pleasant, the city was so eerie and quiet. At work I sit next to a window which overlooks the arena and Victoria Station just a few hundred yards away, for everybody in the office the whole incident was just constantly there, everything just felt wrong. I feel so terrible for the victims and their families, it's just unimaginable.

Obviously the pragmatic thing to say is to get on with everything as usual, follow routine and don't let the terrorists win. Everybody I know is definitely trying, but there's just been a constant feeling that everything is wrong. A place a lot of us walk through every day and has been a constant innocuous place for so many years - a lot of us all our lives, has been turned overnight into a place of brutal senseless violence.

Watched this in horror as it developed last night. I remember my first 'gig', a boyband at Wembley Arena with my Mum and a friend just after Christmas. Was ridiculously excited and had a great time, there was so much unbridled joy in that room. Can't even fathom that being destroyed in this way. Heart goes out to the victims, families, friends and those kiddies and their families who were traumatised.

Absolutely proud of the way Manchester responded, it was my home for 3 years and I never had a doubt they would respond with resilience, defiance and love. Have lived in cities during 4 'terror' attacks, the only way to respond is not to let it change your way of life or make you live in fear or create division and hate. They only win if we give in. 

I've lived in manchester all my life and worked at the arena for 2 years and while I don't think that really puts me any closer the the tragedy than anyone else in Britain it's been brutal today being able to imagine myself being there (which is the difference to basically all other terror attacks). My window looks over manchester and I haven't got much done today, very odd looking over the city seeing it looking like usual despite what's happened. Fucking evil aiming at their demographic, it's got me in the core really, my heart and thought goes out to those that have lost in this thread and those that don't have answers which is almost worse.

I made it to the vigil which was as much uplifting as it was heavy, I hope the strength of the city reaches those that need it. Seemed right to go to a gig as it was the only way to stick my fingers up at those that did this and Priests held their end of the bargain at Gullivers which was great.

I try and gold my tongue with these matters but frankly after a few beers and chainsmoking on my balcony now I dunno why. I never expected anything like this to get under my skin but here I am. Sorry for the semi drunk ramble, I've been reading this thread for 24 hours now and felt I had to say something.

Also, fuck anyone who thinks this changes my enjoyment of gigs and stuff, im gonna enjoy every gig, every festival twice as much and be better to everyone in manchester and in general to stick it to you, c**ts. 

9 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

Not as far as I'm aware. Devastating that his family still haven't heard anything 

BBC news just saying that most of those being treated in hospital haven't been named yet, so got to keep the hopes up Lucy x