Explosion at the M.E.N

H.M.V

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Urgh

Oh, man I think it must be awful to be in that situation - not knowing, trying to stay hopeful and at the same time dealing with a terrible sinking feeling. Same with that poor woman who's daughter is missing. I really hope his brother is okay. 

3 hours ago, EamerRed said:

I normally feel quite detached from these things, not to sound too callous, but with it all over the news and usually being so far away I find it hard to relate to the panic/pain at certain times. But this one seems to have a bit more of a sting than usual :(

Regardless of the attacks location, the aspect which brings it all home to me is the fact they have chosen to attack a pop concert. Just like the Bataclan tragedy, this feels a lot more personal because of the situation.

Every single one of us on here are only on here because of our love of music and pop concerts. It is the thing that drives me, it is why I graft all winter like mad, so I am able to afford to attend pop concerts. It is like they have attackd the very fabric of my life.

As a rational person, you sit there trying to contemplate why someone would be so evil. You try and reason with yourself. Yet it is totally beyond my comprehension. To murder young children so indiscriminately is just heart breaking.

I have been attending gigs and all sorts at that arena since it opened. We even used to go and watch the basket ball and ice hockey as kids, after getting free tickets. I have had some of the most memorable and best nights out in there. These kids and families should have enjoying the same things that a lot of us on here have, yet it has ended in such heart breaking tragedy.

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

Oh, man I think it must be awful to be in that situation - not knowing, trying to stay hopeful and at the same time dealing with a terrible sinking feeling. Same with that poor woman who's daughter is missing. I really hope his brother is okay. 

It's his brother who is a friend of my friend. So devastating that he hasn't been found yet. Please keep an eye out for martyn 

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Just trying to get to work, traffic is horrendous. Im not sure what time Ill make it. The bus has not moved in 20 mins

Off to see Stewart Lee tonight. The atmosphere will be very odd. 

You never think something like this happens on your own front door. Been to the arena a hell of lot, seeing the scenes of last night is awful.

Much love to all.

Fuzzy mate I am off work today mate. If you need a lift home from work then give me a shout. I need something to do, can't just sit on my arse here all day. I am going to have a trip to the vinyl exchange.

I feel totally useless. I can't even give blood as I am losing too much already from my back side.

as a person living in Manchester this is way too close for comfort and that tw*t went for maximum impact by targeting a pop concert with predominately younger audience, I feel sick thinking about it tbh!!

Heard about it around 11pm as my friend who was their with her 12 year old daughter and friends posted on FB they were being herded out the MEN and hoped that bang wasn't serious.

I can also see media completely reporting stuff wrong (no surprise) and people attacking lax security. Just to clear that one the area bomb went off is public area which is part of the train station before you go through the security to MEN.

That picture hat shows bodies through a set of doors, is taken from the inside of MEN looking out not the other way round as being reported.

Even if train station had airport style metal detectors, all it would have done is move the bomb being detonated outside were no security, which anyone who has been to MEN before would have actually caught even more people in the blast than the foyer area.

All those folk listed as missing, so young and I believe there is some seriously injured out of the 56 too which is just so sad

Arndale being evacuated less than an hour ago is worrying too but home that was just precautionary 

Lots of political rant too from people who are just full of sh*t and it not just the blue side either as it's how can we blame the tories and I'm just waiting for the conspiracy theory (which I saw after London)  that this is the governments doing trying to distract us from the election - FFS people flippin died and I know people die in other countries too but it shouldn't mean people can't be upset here!!

rant over :( <_<

I avoided this thread this morning because the situation is just so heartbreaking. As well as thinking about the poor souls who lost their lives and their families I'm focusing on the spirit of the incredible people of the best city in the country, there are some really beautiful stories. I'm from Devon but every time I go to Manchester it feels just like going home. 

Why is it that the worst scenarios often bring out the best in people? When the shock of this horrible event subsides we'd all do well to remember to be kinder to one another regardless of circumstances. 

My only real comment on this is to hope people put aside their hate, that includes politics and try and carry on as normal at our wonderful festival of love. Because it's all we can really do. Our way of life must go on.

Those poor families and all concerned, just awful.

9 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

as a person living in Manchester this is way too close for comfort and that tw*t went for maximum impact by targeting a pop concert with predominately younger audience, I feel sick thinking about it tbh!!

Heard about it around 11pm as my friend who was their with her 12 year old daughter and friends posted on FB they were being herded out the MEN and hoped that bang wasn't serious.

I can also see media completely reporting stuff wrong (no surprise) and people attacking lax security. Just to clear that one the area bomb went off is public area which is part of the train station before you go through the security to MEN.

That picture hat shows bodies through a set of doors, is taken from the inside of MEN looking out not the other way round as being reported.

Even if train station had airport style metal detectors, all it would have done is move the bomb being detonated outside were no security, which anyone who has been to MEN before would have actually caught even more people in the blast than the foyer area.

All those folk listed as missing, so young and I believe there is some seriously injured out of the 56 too which is just so sad

Arndale being evacuated less than an hour ago is worrying too but home that was just precautionary 

Lots of political rant too from people who are just full of sh*t and it not just the blue side either as it's how can we blame the tories and I'm just waiting for the conspiracy theory (which I saw after London)  that this is the governments doing trying to distract us from the election - FFS people flippin died and I know people die in other countries too but it shouldn't mean people can't be upset here!!

rant over :( <_<

There was nothing anyone could have done last night to stop the attack. Its not a security failure. The purposely picked that spot as it was a soft target. If they thought they may have been stopped by security, they would have done it in the train station. Sane thing there, if there had been checks inside then they would have just done it on the road outside.

Unfortunately it is near enough impossible to stop these people once they have strapped their devices to themselves and headed out the door. They have to be stopped before they get to that stage. Our intelligence and security services do a fantastic job keeping most of us safe, most of the time. Unfortunately there will always be one who slips through the net.

Edited by eastynh

I've only been to Manchester once (for a football game when City were in the old division 2 against my hometown) and I've never been to the M.E.N but I feel overwhelmingly sad about what has happened today. I hope everyone finds their loved ones and stays safe. This is all becoming normalised which is one of the scariest parts. How can the world be so fucked up? Peace and love to everyone in Manchester and waiting to hear from their friends, relatives and whoever xxxx

7 minutes ago, eastynh said:

There was nothing anyone could have done last night to stop the attack. Its not a security failure. The purposely picked that spot as it was a soft target. If they thought they may have been stopped by security, they would have done it in the train station. Sane thing there, if there had been checks inside then they would have just done it on the road outside.

Unfortunately it is near enough impossible to stop these people once they have strapped their devices to themselves and headed out the day. They have to be stopped before they get to that stage. Our intelligence and security services do a fantastic job keeping most of us safe, most of the time. Unfortunately there will always be one who slips through the net.

agree with this.

densely-populated events like pop concerts are such an easy and obvious target, and nigh-on impossible to bag-check thoroughly both in terms of logistics and atmosphere, we can probably be thankful to the security services that this is the first attack of its kind to succeed (I know the morons attacked the Bataclan during a gig, but that was different in how it happened)

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 minute ago, sabre-toothed tart said:

I'm not ashamed to say I've been in tears all morning.  I nearly booked to take my daughter to this concert.  I just can't comprehend how someone could do this, it's just devastating.  

The fact that I have taken my young daughter to numerous similar concerts recently makes it all the upsetting. My heartbreak for what the parents waiting outside must have been going though

1 minute ago, sabre-toothed tart said:

I'm not ashamed to say I've been in tears all morning.  I nearly booked to take my daughter to this concert.  I just can't comprehend how someone could do this, it's just devastating.  

Don't ever be ashamed to feel emotional. Someone would have to be totally heartless to not be upset and affected by something like this.

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Unfortunately it is near enough impossible to stop these people once they have strapped their devices to themselves and headed out the door. They have to be stopped before they get to that stage. Our intelligence and security services do a fantastic job keeping most of us safe, most of the time. Unfortunately there will always be one who slips through the net.

Exactly that's my point, but people are spouting off anyway

Anywhere that has a gathering of people is a target, we can't just hide away which is the aim of these tw*ts

18 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Even if train station had airport style metal detectors, all it would have done is move the bomb being detonated outside were no security, which anyone who has been to MEN before would have actually caught even more people in the blast than the foyer area

I thought of this. I was at Victoria last year the say after they evacuated Old Trafford. There was extra security but they seemed there to comfort people with their presence rather than prevent much. 

Even if they put metal detectors on Victoria there are so many lines feeding into that station where this just isn't possible. Places like Adlington and Blackrod are tiny stations. It's just not feasable sadly

Edited by Heather90

57 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

This probably won't be much help, but I'm in Manchester (well, Fallowfield, but I have a bus pass) & am free all afternoon if anyone needs anything at all x 

There's a report of a raid/explosions in Fallowfield. Any truth in these reports?

Just now, shoptildrop said:

Exactly that's my point, but people are spouting off anyway

Anywhere that has a gathering of people is a target, we can't just hide away which is the aim of these tw*ts

Idiots will just be spouting off to try and point score for their own means. Fuck them. Hopefully people will see through them.

People are just to upset at present to pay any attention to idiots.

Just to add, if any efesters are stuck in town tonight (not just fuzzy) and need a lift then give me a shout.