Fyre festival

maelzoid

13 hours ago, eFestivals said:

full of mugs who suck up what those 'influencers' tell them.

If you buy it, you own it.

No sympathy for those who were screwed over, if they weren't screwed over by that fest it would be something else. What's really screwing them is themselves.

I have a sudden urge to visit Screwfix tomorrow.

Am I a mug?

19 hours ago, Purple aki squat said:

Am I a mug?

Nah. Netflix is one of those rare commodities that’s actually great value. 

Fyre was great. I anticipated being put off by endless shots of influenzas frolicking about on a lovely beach, but it focuses on the c**t who ripped people off, then doubles down on what a c**t he is. 

The most interesting part is where they focus on the disconnect between the status elevation nature of social media and the life everyone actually leads. They should have spent more time on that. 

Anyway. It would have been the biggest clusterfuck for a generation were it not for Brexit. 

Edited by kalifire
Wanted to make sure I spelt c**t correctly
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Watched this last night. 

Maybe I'm a bad person but I didn't feel slightly sorry for anyone that bought into it.

The way it was marketed with the social media 'influencers' and the people it attracted is everything that I hate about different party scenes.

As for the guy who trashed the tents around his and pissed on the mattresses because they didn't want neighbours, or the guy who said a girl was crying outside his tent because she'd lost her friends but he didn't help... I hope these people never find their way to the farm.

Nah I find it kinda weird that folk think that the models paid to promote this (as is their job) are seemingly worthy of scorn more than the deranged shitbag founder, and that the rich people who went deserve to be scammed and marooned in a potentially dangerous place because they - as with most humans - were susceptible to marketing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Nah I find it kinda weird that folk think that the models paid to promote this (as is their job) are seemingly worthy of scorn more than the deranged shitbag founder, and that the rich people who went deserve to be scammed and marooned in a potentially dangerous place because they - as with most humans - were susceptible to marketing.

Yeah. I felt my schadenfreude drain from me as I watched it. Some of the attendees were shits (particularly the one who didn't want any neighbors), but there seemed to be some that were tricked into spending a decent amount of their money on a dream that was all lies.

15 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah. I felt my schadenfreude drain from me as I watched it. Some of the attendees were shits (particularly the one who didn't want any neighbors), but there seemed to be some that were tricked into spending a decent amount of their money on a dream that was all lies.

His name and LinkedIn profile have been doing the rounds on Twitter, and he's (presumably subsequently) deleted his Instagram account too.

23 hours ago, stu_kent said:

As for the guy who trashed the tents around his and pissed on the mattresses because they didn't want neighbours, or the guy who said a girl was crying outside his tent because she'd lost her friends but he didn't help... I hope these people never find their way to the farm.

Yep, think the festival goers were the worst people of all! They didn't have enough tents to house people overnight, and this man's friends decided to trash all surrounding tents because they didn't want neighbours. Vile.

It was an interesting look at a world I'm not privy to- supermodels, influencers, wealth and all that Instagram melarky. I get how surface wise it looks good, but it just seemed very depressing at the same time. I do wonder if its all engrossing if you're part of it or whether all of them were secretly weeping at how phoney it all is. 

On 1/24/2019 at 4:09 PM, stu_kent said:

Watched this last night. 

Maybe I'm a bad person but I didn't feel slightly sorry for anyone that bought into it.

The way it was marketed with the social media 'influencers' and the people it attracted is everything that I hate about different party scenes.

Same here. Felt no sympathy for any than the locals left out of pocket.

All of it is fake, people who swallowed all that bullshit deserve what it was to be honest. Influencers is now up there with one my most hated expressions. 

Sitting on a plane for photos?

Shallow, vacuous narcissistic dickheads 

54 minutes ago, Purple aki squat said:

Same here. Felt no sympathy for any than the locals left out of pocket.

All of it is fake, people who swallowed all that bullshit deserve what it was to be honest. Influencers is now up there with one my most hated expressions. 

Sitting on a plane for photos?

Shallow, vacuous narcissistic dickheads 

You know that was totally different people in Russia, right? :P

Honestly I feel surprised that people are struggling to empathise with these folk. It's not like Glasto's cheap, unfashionable, etc. If some shit went down at Glastonbury, we'd probably have people in some Daily Mail comment section saying the same thing about Glasto-goers being spoilt idiots and whatnot. And Glastonbury has its influencers too - although it is more Wayne Rooney than Bella Hadid. :lol:

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Honestly I feel surprised that people are struggling to empathise with these folk. It's not like Glasto's cheap, unfashionable, etc. If some shit went down at Glastonbury, we'd probably have people in some Daily Mail comment section saying the same thing about Glasto-goers being spoilt idiots and whatnot. And Glastonbury has its influencers too - although it is more Wayne Rooney than Bella Hadid. :lol:

Yep, I knew it wasn’t at that festival. I just meant the whole ethos of look at me and where I am and how wonderful my life is and don’t you wish you were me. And unfortunately there are plenty of them at Glastonbury.

I don’t believe that all of those people involved in the organisation (or lack thereof) who appeared in the Netflix doc. were entirely blameless. Surely if they were any good at what they do, they would’ve seen the writing on the wall yet failed to make a stand against the inevitable (I exclude the locals who worked hard on good faith). The doc. seems like it was a good opportunity for them to deflect any responsibility.

ps as much as some of the guests may be loathsome, they were still victims in this whole affair. No need to be dicks to other victims though.

Great documentary, really enlightening (and Ja Rule is an absolute joke isn't he, what a tit).

The whole island paradise thing reminded me a bit of Unknown Festival, whatever happened to that? I remember it had a banging lineup one year and a similar sort of ethos of the island, and I think it was ran by the guys behind Parklife? (I think?). But never really heard whether it was successful or not.

17 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I think there are some major differences between glasto and fyre. Imagine if we showed up to glasto and everyone automatically got giant white tents and mattresses? Imagine we were sent a email about loading at least 5k on a wristband for experiences and we all did that? 

Fyre was all about flaunting your wealth and prestige and making everyone on IG jealous of your life.

I think every experience obviously is a paid one nowadays, but i think it's more comparable to the people who pay for glamping. I know people have been scammed at glasto in regards to glamping and I also dont feel particularly bad about it. There are people who think they can genuinely pay their way into any situation and if they learn a lesson at some point along the way (which I dont think they do) then I think that's good for society as a whole. I obviously dont condone anyone scamming anyone but at some point (like with the VIP NY emails Billy was sending out) that person needs to smarten up and do a google search before handing someone large amounts of money. 

Honestly I may be wrong but... I never hear people complain about anything at glasto. Maybe a bit about the mud in 2016 but that was only because it was tough to get around. 

Theres a post going around by some guy who won tickets and he basically said it was chicken soup for his middle class soul, watching rich people freak out because their luggage was being mishandled. 

• Upvote 1

My follow up: 

Do I think everyone should get their money back? Absolutely. 

Do I feel bad they flew to Bermuda on an economy airplane, partied on the beach all day, only to find out their luxury cabanas were only tents with mattesses, and their supper was cheesy toast? Never. That's funny shit. 

• Upvote 1

A new addition to the site this year, a scattering of small en-suite cabins more closely resemble traditional hotel rooms but these are now entirely fully booked. Also booked is the vast, three-bedroom Tenthouse Suite, which includes its own lounge and covered porch, alongside a bathroom with shower, flushing toilet and basin. It was priced at £13,495 for the 2017 festival.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/travel/glastonbury-glamping-vip-helicopters-visit-style/

• Upvote 1

My impression of the Fyre doc was that it was the lifestyle they sold. Rather than the promise of a great weekends entertainment. Which of course is the reason I go to Glastonbury. Yes it is so many other things but I'm fundamentally there to see bands, arts and mainline an enormous amount of culture I don't get in my normal everyday life. 

such a good Documentary

the whole festival was aimed at self centered smug millennials , it wasn't about the music or the experience it was about showing off. He knew the target audience , he knew how to pray on them. 

it showed when they spoke to one guy who said he didn't want neighbours around his crappy tent, so he slashed them and pissed on the mattresses so he had no one near by.