ManchesterGlasto

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Chipbarm said:

Que the legions of road and waste men in they're towel like trackie pants and man bags trying to get tickets. I might do a side line in black Nike Air Max wellies. I'd make a mint.

What does this mean?

Road and waste men

They are towelling tracksuit bottoms?

Far out

26 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Haha! I did actually feel genuinely old watching that video posted above. I'm a big fan of hip hop generally and grime when it's not all shrieking like that, but I found myself muttering 'what a racket'. I'll be 40 in September. This is the state of me. Muttering about music I don't understand. How did it come to this?

I genuinely know more about grime than I do about indie landfill as I live in south London and have a 13 year old boy. I am also an expert in shit memes and rubbish youtube songs. I am hoping for something restful on the acoustic Sunday night.

2 hours ago, evannn said:

Boy Better Know is a grime collective/label. Skepta, Wiley, JME, D Double E, plus more. It's not always a guarantee who'll perform but given the slot I'd imagine Skepta and Wiley will

D Double E isn't in BBK.

Anyway, they'll be really good and they'll attract a big crowd. The kids are mad for it at the moment.

2 minutes ago, OffshoreToon said:

D Double E isn't in BBK.

Anyway, they'll be really good and they'll attract a big crowd. The kids are mad for it at the moment.

Although I believe they're currently more mad for Ed Sheeran so that may poach a fair few would-be BBK people away.

35 minutes ago, Chipbarm said:

Que the legions of road and waste men in they're towel like trackie pants and man bags trying to get tickets. I might do a side line in black Nike Air Max wellies. I'd make a mint.

Amazing stereotyping of BBK fans, I can assure you that a skepta/BBK crowd is nothing like that

40 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Presented without comment.

I didn't mind that as a studio recorded song. Throwaway music but it was alright. Didn't help my old man syndrome, though. I spent 3m37s muttering "Too Many MEN".

I get the impression this lot would be OK to listen to on record, but would be insufferable (to my ears) live.

1 hour ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Grime is currently cool. 

So if you throw loads of grime artists on a stage shouting at people desperate to fit in it'll succeed. 

The comments like this, hahahaha. So ignorant and boring. Poor really. God forbid a genre of music finally be celebrated by the mainstream media and have the recognition it deserves. Like the tunes or not, when people talk about it like this, it is just so off the mark, its embarrassing. 

Edited by jyoung

2 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Perfect. 

In 10 years time people are going to look back on the popularity of Grime in the same way we now look at Nu-Rave. 

Too Many Man, Rolex, Jus a Rascal, more big grime crossover hits are getting on ten years old btw

40 minutes ago, Divein said:

Amazing stereotyping of BBK fans, I can assure you that a skepta/BBK crowd is nothing like that

True. My 14 year old daughter, white all girls grammar school kid, is all about the grime right now. I cant abide most of it, but that's a good thing, right? I should hate what she likes for not being 'proper' music :lol:

Fair play to the festival for giving it a platform. Lets see how it goes?

1 minute ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Perfect. 

In 10 years time people are going to look back on the popularity of Grime in the same way we now look at Nu-Rave. 

I doubt it.  Nu-Rave was invented by bored music journalists seeing connections in a handful of albums over a couple of years, whereas Grime is a genuine musical movement that predates Nu-Rave by several years.  

I mean, It's already 14 years since Boy in da Corner won the Mercury.  It's not exactly a flash in the pan at this point.

4 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Grime artists wish they had lyrics as good as :

"I wanna drink drink drink smoke fuck fight
I wanna shout, drink, scream, I wanna die!
I wanna be arrested
I wanna be molested
And my heads in pain, next weekend lets do it again!"

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Although I believe they're currently more mad for Ed Sheeran so that may poach a fair few would-be BBK people away.

Yeah, I guess, though I know quite a lot of people that have been a fan of BBK artists at some point but few that really listen to Sheeran.

1 hour ago, evannn said:

Huh, always thought he was, thanks. Is Jammer? Thought they both were

At the moment I think he's just part of Newham Generals, which is him and Footsie. Yeah, Jammer is.

Although grime's not generally my thing (although I enjoyed Skepta last year), I think it's great the genre is represented in a high profile slot at the festival, particularly as it's a movement that originated in the UK and that's something to celebrate. I recall people saying the same about Skrillex in 2014 and that turned out to be a great show. I'm all for more risks being taken by the festival in the headline slots.

Whether you like it or not, that BBK show is going to be one of the most talked about sets over the whole weekend for all the right reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC viewing figures peak when it's shown too.

1 hour ago, Purple aki squat said:

What does this mean?

Road and waste men

They are towelling tracksuit bottoms?

Far out

The term I was looking for is jogging bottoms.

And I ain't got a clue. Maybe someone who mends potholes and bin men.

1 hour ago, Divein said:

Really? Everytime I've heard this music it's been from someone's tinny phone speaker and they are dressed in all the get up. 

Don't get me wrong I ain't no old fuddy duddy who is against new popular culture I just detest this music. Give me some decent hip hop without all the shouting any day of the week. Mc's from my old drum n bass tape packs didn't shout as much as they do. For me it's all about the art of delivery and rapping not being shouted at for an hour.

I'm glad there's a bit of grime representation at the festival - but rather being at the forefront of current music for the festival... isn't it a bit like the awards shows that are suddenly cramming it in now? i.e. too little, too late... a bit past it's prime?

8 minutes ago, SPTFRE said:

I think it's great the genre is represented in a high profile slot at the festival

If they'd ignored grime on the line up this summer it would have reflected very poorly on them and they'd have deserved every sneer about it being a gentrified weekend for middle class suburbanites.