2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Would he? His star is very much on the wane judging by the places he has been playing in the last year or two, no doubt he'd pull a big crowd for the Other but there will still be thousands upon thousands who'll go to the Pyramid to see how Stormzy does.

Now if Liam's in the vicinity it could be a different question altogether...

Not really. This is like saying Elton isn't very big because he does rugby league stadiums or whatever. It's just a different way of gathering revenue to doing one big, exclusive gig. Going off the number of people that pick up his records and buy tickets to his shows, he could still headline practically any festival in the UK if he didn't spread himself so thinly.

At a festival like Glastonbury, a Noel gig would be a massive pull wherever he is - more so than Stormzy. However, I'm not sure there will ever be a case where another stage has more people than the Pyramid Stage at headliner time just because of the 'event' of the Pyramid headline slot... but Noel would run it close. 

Edited by dentalplan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Not really. This is like saying Elton isn't very big because he does rugby league stadiums or whatever. It's just a different way of gathering revenue to doing one big, exclusive gig. Going off the number of people that pick up his records and buy tickets to his shows, he could still headline practically any festival in the UK if he didn't spread himself so thinly.

At a festival like Glastonbury, a Noel gig would be a massive pull wherever he is - more so than Stormzy - however, I'm not sure there will ever be a case where another stage has more people than the Pyramid Stage at headliner time just because of the 'event' of the Pyramid headline slot... but Noel would run it close. 

This is the crux of my argument, there will always be thousands of people at the Pyramid every night who are there because there's nothing else on they fancy, or they always watch the headliner regardless, or they want to experience a night there.... It's not Noel versus Stormzy, it's Noel verses the centrepiece of the festival, and he wouldn't win.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

This is the crux of my argument, there will always be thousands of people at the Pyramid every night who are there because there's nothing else on they fancy, or they always watch the headliner regardless, or they want to experience a night there.... It's not Noel versus Stormzy, it's Noel verses the centrepiece of the festival, and he wouldn't win.

Yeah I'll concede that. But if Noel took a crowd that was 90% of the number that Stormzy took or something, it would be pretty noticeable in the Pyramid field wouldn't it?

24 minutes ago, Keithy said:

The Cure for 'locals day' feels a bit odd.....unless the Eavii have chatted to some of them all and discovered the local area is a hot bed of aging goths. Though the 'locals day line up' is perhaps just a bit of a myth.

Half of The Cure's material is cheery pop songs like Friday, I'm In Love. They're fine for middle aged locals.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I'll concede that. But if Noel took a crowd that was 90% of the number that Stormzy took or something, it would be pretty noticeable in the Pyramid field wouldn't it?

True. I do suspect that Stormzy could end up with the smallest crowd we've seen for a Pyramid headliner in a long while, regardless of who he's up against.

45 minutes ago, Mardy said:

They’ll put someone older and more established up against him on the Otger. I’d have said someone like New Order, but they only played the other year. It’ll be someone tedious, sweaty and authentically rock though ; QOTSA, Primals, somebody along those lines, 

Dunno tbh. When Kanye headlined they had Deadmau5 on the Other Stage and the other alternatives on the main stages were George Clinton, Suede and Jon Hopkins. So Suede were the only remotely rock alternative.

True. I do suspect that Stormzy could end up with the smallest crowd we've seen for a Pyramid headliner in a long while, regardless of who he's up against.

I reckon it’ll be alright. There’s a lot more young people there than this website has. I think he’ll pull more people than say, Arcade Fire.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Dunno tbh. When Kanye headlined they had Deadmau5 on the Other Stage and the other alternatives on the main stages were George Clinton, Suede and Jon Hopkins. So Suede were the only remotely rock alternative.

That was a Saturday, wasn’t it? The Other went through a stage of having big dance acts on the Sat, Skrillex, Deadmau5 etc, but quite often an older act in the Friday, New Order and Portishead come to mind. 

Dunno, could all be random, of course. Fuck knows

Depends whether we are talking at the start or the end of the set. A lot of these acts have lots of people who turn up at the start to see what the fuss is about then drift away quite quickly.

Fair point, certainly for the Gorrilaz.  

I’d certainly say Stormzy is more we’ll known though so people will stick around.  Plus the threat of special guests! 

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah and they'll be at Silver Hayes.

I reckon we’ll see them stumbling out of the back of Shangri La, slowly emerging from Silver Hayes and blinking slowly into the daylight, they’ll converge for the first time, like a shambolic army of the halfdead, on the Pyramid. First time plenty of them will have been there

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mardy said:

That was a Saturday, wasn’t it? The Other went through a stage of having big dance acts on the Sat, Skrillex, Deadmau5 etc, but quite often an older act in the Friday, New Order and Portishead come to mind. 

Dunno, could all be random, of course. Fuck knows

It was Saturday, but the dance acts were mostly Friday, weren't they? Skrillex was on Friday in 2014, then Rudimental 2015, Disclosure 2016, Major Lazer 2017. I don't think that'll continue next year, though because it'd be a dumb alternative to Stormzy. Unless it's an older dance act like the Chems.

And Portishead were on Friday, too. :P

In 2015 all of the Other headliners were dance acts, so they didn't really have a choice but to have one of them opposite Kanye, unless they just decided to not book one of them. Chemical Brothers opposite him and Deadmau5 on the Sunday opposite The Who/Prince would have made more sense, though, but idk if it was possible with other shows, etc.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The Moody Blues were on in the Acoustic.

Yeah I was just talking about the five main stages. Obviously there'll be someone like that on in the Acoustic when Stormzy plays.

3 hours ago, eastynh said:

At Glastonbury I reckon Noel would pull a bigger crowd than Stormzy. Noel is still pulling decent numbers at his own gigs and playing bigger venues than Stormzy.

I don't think they will place anyone anywhere near as big as Noel on the other, they would be stupid to risk it.

Nah, the Pyramid always gets the biggest crowd, because thousands of  people go to the Pyramid because it's the "main stage".