2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm not sure there has. I've been doing festivals for almost 20 yars now and can't recall an instance of Glastonbury and Reading having an act headline both in the same year.

To Google!!

they definitely have in the time i've been doing efests, more than once too I think.

Arctics might be a good one to check.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

they definitely have in the time i've been doing efests, more than once too I think.

I’m sure it’s probably happened in the past but I don’t recall it happening in recent memory and seems doubtful it’ll happen again any time soon what with all this exclusivity bollocks being at an all time high. Only minor exceptions being Foals and Disclosure headlining R/L and playing lower down at Glastonbury. 

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I have cross referenced the two lists below and can confirm it has never happened. Lots of instances where acts have played the year after, but never in the same year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_and_Leeds_Festivals#List_of_headliners

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_Festival#Lineups

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm struggling to think of a shared headliner in the 21st century. Only examples I can think of are acts that headlined R&L and played lower on the bill at Glastonbury in the same year (Foals/Disclosure in 2016, Libertines in 2015 etc).

Just now, FloorFiller said:

I’m sure it’s probably happened in the past but I don’t recall it happening in recent memory and seems doubtful it’ll happen again any time soon what with all this exclusivity bollocks being at an all time high. Only minor exceptions being Foals and Disclosure headlining R/L and playing lower down at Glastonbury. 

Melvin tries for exclusives, but the band are the ones in control - and so, if he wants a band who also wants to play Glasto, he has to submit to that.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

I have cross referenced the two lists below and can confirm it has never happened. Lots of instances where acts have played the year after, but never in the same year.

I think it was Foals I was thinking of for the last ten years.

But also: 2011 with Pulp.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

We might be talking at cross purposes then. I meant no act has headlined both festivals in the same year.

I was thinking headliners, cos i know lots of the R/L headliners haven't been exclusives ... but I guess it's mostly been other LN fests they've shared with.

But i did know there'd been R/L headliners who'd played Glasto the same year, cos I remembered there'd been discussion here about it (but not the details).

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I was thinking headliners, cos i know lots of the R/L headliners haven't been exclusives ... but I guess it's mostly been other LN fests they've shared with.

But i did know there'd been R/L headliners who'd played Glasto the same year, cos I remembered there'd been discussion here about it (but not the details).

Closest we've got is the Libertines in 2015 who headlined Reading outright and subbed Glasto, but even that was a special case as they were drafted in for a "secret" set as a last minute replacement.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Ok, so where are we up to in terms of runners and riders?

Likely (in that they're around and would be up for doing it) - Billy Banjo, Gaga, Stormzy

Less likely (might not be active and/or about) - Swifty, Kendrick,

Active but unlikely to do it - Fleetwodd Mac, Spice Girls, 1975, Bon Jovi, Pink, Arctic Monkeys,

I'd put AM in the 'likely' category, along with Lady Gaga.  I assume we're accepting Macca and the Cure as a given.

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah I'd be shocked to see Reading let an outright headliner sub at Glasto. I imagine it was co-headline Reading or not be at Glasto and they have said they aren't at Glasto.

34 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think it was Foals I was thinking of for the last ten years.

But also: 2011 with Pulp.

A co-headliner at Reading subbing Glasto. Pulp did IOW subbing I believe and secret park set. Reading had them co-headline and not IOW which surprised me.