2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Just now, Username taken said:

I’ve no idea who a ‘Spice Girls audience’ is in 2019. Also, this seems to be a money making tour so I can’t see them doing GF.

Take That, on the other hand, who go down a storm on the Sunday afternoon

Neither have I...

...I bet they sell out the tour within 60 minutes of it going on sale on Saturday!

The Empresses will be wearing no clothes, and 100s of 1000s will not care!!!

Ben

4 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Definitions please.

Issued in Britain on June 1st, 1967, and a day later in America, Sgt. Pepper is also rock’s ultimate declaration of change. For the Beatles, it was a decisive goodbye to matching suits, world tours and assembly-line record-making. “We were fed up with being Beatles,” McCartney said decades later, in Many Years From Now, Barry Miles’ McCartney biography. “We were not boys, we were men… artists rather than performers.

Literally read this yesterday. Reasonable definition, perhaps

Edited by Username taken

18 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I think if you can have Craig David or Katy Perry then you can have the Spice Girls. 

Well if the Spice Girls were willing to play 3rd or 5th down the Pyramid I'm sure they'd happily book them, but have Glasto ever booked an act like them to headline? Not as far as I can see, and I'd say there's no chance of them headlining next year.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

There’d be barely an eyebrow raised if a reformed All Saints popped up somewhere on the bill. Same basic act, different image.

To paraphrase an old saying, I may not like the Spice Girls, but I’ll defend their right to play Glastonbury.

All Saints had Shaznay Lewis, who was a proper musician and songwriter.  Arguably not as "proper" as Gary Barlow, given that he had far more solo songwriter and co-producer credits, but there is a real difference between All Saints and The Spice Girls in terms of "artistry"  - it's not entirely just a difference of image.

Now whether that actually matters to you in another thing, but if seeing performers who were creatively involved in the creation of the music is important to you, then they are different.

7 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Craig David, whatever you may make of him, got big by writing, producing and performing music he's passionate about. Katy Perry and The Spice Girls were just money oriented record label earners.

I would rather see a great performer than a shit artist. Not that the Spice Girls are either but for the purposes of this argument. Ideally I would want both. All the old Motown singers would fall under your definition?

Just now, giantkatestacks said:

I would rather see a great performer than a shit artist. Not that the Spice Girls are either but for the purposes of this argument. Ideally I would want both. All the old Motown singers would fall under your definition?

I was just taking issue with you lumping Craig David in with Katy Perry and Spice Girls, not a hard and fast set of rules for life there. Plenty of people making their own music for the love of it are total shite-merchants and only a fool would argue there's no artistry to be found in performing music you didn't write. 

1 hour ago, Titters said:

There's also an authenticity issue here - are they even the Spice Girls without Victoria in the ranks. 

There's been discussion about whether Queen count as Queen with Adam Lambert doing vocals, and the whole New Order debacle - this would just be another example of a band name becoming a brand, regardless of the membership. 

Ahem. 

I'm sure you realise that the comparison between Victoria Beckham and Freddie Mercury are way off the charts. People won't even notice she's not there really.