2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Show of hands, who on here would see them?

I'd consider going down for a look if there was nothing else on I fancied. If nothing else it would certainly be the biggest story of the weekend.

Only interested if they stick Frank Carter on beforehand to shock the living sh*t out of the unsuspecting masses.

Spice Girls, Busted etc are always gonna have a massive crowd.

Firstly, this forum does not represent the masses ... and to the masses, they were some of the biggest bands of their day, despite being uncool or manufactured to 'proper' music fans.

Secondly, even people who feel they have outgrown their childhood pop bands will still get a massive nostalgia buzz from them.

Thirdly, everybody knows their music, it was hard to avoid. So if there's no-one on at that time who you know or like, they are always gonna be an option for everyone.

Hence the massive Craig David crowd.

Spice Girls should be filed under 'novelty act' like Busted and The Wombles. Shouldn't be let anywhere near Glastonbury, let alone the main stages.

I'm probably being very elitist but it's starting to bother me that there's an increasingly common opinion that because an act is big selling and may draw a big crowd, then that equates to them being a reasonable option to appear on a main stage at Glastonbury. Yes I know it's called 'Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts' but come on, we've got to have some degree of credibility when it comes to the main stages with regards to modern musical trends and influences.

The Spice Girls were just a flippin' pop band. Granted, a very commercially successful one between '96 and '98 with a very good PR team who absolutely nailed the tween/teen market to the extent they can milk that when the fan base hits mid 20's (2007/8 reunion) and mid 30's (2018 reunion) for the nostalgia reunions.

Just now, Keithy said:

Spice Girls should be filed under 'novelty act' like Busted and The Wombles. Shouldn't be let anywhere near Glastonbury, let alone the main stages.

I'm probably being very elitist but it's starting to bother me that there's an increasingly common opinion that because an act is big selling and may draw a big crowd, then that equates to them being a reasonable option to appear on a main stage at Glastonbury. Yes I know it's called 'Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts' but come on, we've got to have some degree of credibility when it comes to the main stages with regards to modern musical trends and influences.

The Spice Girls were just a flippin' pop band. Granted, a very commercially successful one between '96 and '98 with a very good PR team who absolutely nailed the tween/teen market to the extent they can milk that when the fan base hits mid 20's (2007/8 reunion) and mid 30's (2018 reunion) for the nostalgia reunions.

It's not that deep.

Busted didn't draw a 'massive crowd' or 'stupidly large crowd'. They had a crowd bigger than the tent they were playing. Avalon is not even a large tent.

Glastonbury should be, and is, a broad church of musical tastes. Nostalgia has it's spot (the Sunday teatime spot to be precise) and fun, pop bands also have their spot (Avalon). 

4 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Busted didn't draw a 'massive crowd' or 'stupidly large crowd'. They had a crowd bigger than the tent they were playing. Avalon is not even a large tent.

Glastonbury should be, and is, a broad church of musical tastes. Nostalgia has it's spot (the Sunday teatime spot to be precise) and fun, pop bands also have their spot (Avalon). 

You could easily argue that both Macca and The Cure are nostalgia acts these days.

This is starting to veer into Neil Lonsdale territory.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

You could easily argue that both Macca and The Cure are nostalgia acts these days.

I'm not sure how you can argue that. Macca is still releasing albums, collaborations with current 'modern' acts, hugely influential on music. I'd agree with The Cure which is why I don't think they should be headlining though have a long legacy and influence that justifies a high billing.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s not rockist to deny that a Westlife, Take That and the Spice Girls don’t really have a place at Glastonbury. It’s possible to appreciate pop music and also not want the Pyramid to just become the mega-Rewind stage.

Anyway, I doubt people who wanna go see Macca are just people who were into the Beatles in the 60’s looking for a nostalgia hit. That’s ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It’s not rockist to deny that a Westlife, Take That and the Spice Girls don’t really have a place at Glastonbury. It’s possible to appreciate pop music and also not want the Pyramid to just become the mega-Rewind stage.

Anyway, I doubt people who wanna go see Macca are just people who were into the Beatles in the 60’s looking for a nostalgia hit. That’s ridiculous.

No but the argument that Macca is still relevant with regards to his headliner status is pretty weak. Out of his 30+ song set list how many do we think will have been released in the last decade?

I don’t particularly like the Spice Girls, but they were a cultural behemoth in their time and these shows next year will be the biggest story of next year. I’d be shocked if the Eavii hadn’t considered them at the very least.

Edited by Hugh Jass