2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

28 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

The 1975 aren't headlining Glasto in 2020 after Reading.

I don't see why not. They're not exactly a gamble in 2019 but you have to feel by 2020 they'll be fully recognised festival headliners. And they are regularly booking headliners on their second summer of touring these days, if Arctics and The Cure for next year are to be believed. 

51 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

That's not impossible as it happens - tho what i was told was so vague it could mean just about anything. :lol:

But that does sort-of make a bit of sense as a possibility, so thanks for thinking of it and I'll keep it in mind for anything else I hear. 

neil why have AMs gone to R? Did you get info?

4 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

neil why have AMs gone to R? Did you get info?

AMs at SR was always an only-just-SR. 

As I'm rating the vague 1975 info I had as possibly/probably credible, it means it wouldn't now be 'likely' that AMs are playing, because I can't really see both of them playing.

I'm not ruling AMs out, I'm just a bit less sure that it's likely to be them.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

AMs at SR was always an only-just-SR. 

As I'm rating the vague 1975 info I had as possibly/probably credible, it means it wouldn't now be 'likely' that AMs are playing, because I can't really see both of them playing.

I'm not ruling AMs out, I'm just a bit less sure that it's likely to be them.

1975 sub the cure? For some reason i think this works so well

AMs headline the other day?

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

If this 1975 info is just about them being asked to play I don't see why it can't be as a sub. Sure, they might not accept it but if they booked Biffy Clyro as a sub last year I don't see why they couldn't ask The 1975.

Exactly. Whilst they *might* be big enough to headline, they're certainly not too big for a sub slot.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I mean, The National and Tame Impala definitely don't. Most people were expecting them both to play lower than sub.

agree for national disagree for tame, tame were just weird because it was before adele (if i remember rightly.) currents was massive

3 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

agree for national disagree for tame, tame were just weird because it was before adele (if i remember rightly.) currents was massive

Tame Impala definitely weren't a band that "might be big enough to headline", though. They were big enough to sub, yeah, but up until the announcement there were lots of people predicting them to play 3rd down, as well as people predicting them to sub.

1 hour ago, giantkatestacks said:

Pleased that the Eagles require a day between gigs so that counts them out for Saturday. Saw them at Hop farm one year and it was very dull apart from Don Henley's Boy of Summer which was weirdly tearjerking. 

Plus they aren’t really the Eagles without Glen Frey, 

On 10/3/2018 at 2:58 PM, Doug85 said:

A Star Is Born was surprisingly very good and is already gaining momentum for the Oscars. Would be interesting to see if Gaga is booked on the back of that. Having an oscar nominee or even winner (such as . Adele) play the festival would be good for both sides surely. Plus 1 scene was filmed there in 17 so would be full circle. 

Cooper was on Graham Norton saying he goes to Glastonbury every year too

Remember speaking to a work colleague after one festival years ago and he tells this story of how he was standing next to a guy with an army bag (or cap, can't remember) on and he got talking to him. He asks where he got the bag from and this guy says from a film he's been working on. 

Turned out to be from American Sniper. By all accounts he's there as a punter and my colleague said he was lovely.

Would love to see Gaga playing with a performance of Shallows, reckon it'd be a huge moment.

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

I don't see why not. They're not exactly a gamble in 2019 but you have to feel by 2020 they'll be fully recognised festival headliners. And they are regularly booking headliners on their second summer of touring these days, if Arctics and The Cure for next year are to be believed. 

Glastonbury will not book The 1975 to headline on the 2nd year of touring a new album, it's happened before with Muse once which was the only one I believe but I'd be fairly sure this won't.

1 hour ago, brettredmayne said:

Similar to foals

52 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

exactly

foals, biffy, national, tame, libertines - 1975 fit this. And they are one of my faves. 

The difference in size of Foals to The 1975, Biffy at their peak and even The Libertines reunion is massive......likely no comparison in the slightest. One headline Reading again, their own day is Scotland, one have just got their and got a huge tour sold....another played bloody Citadel the year after which is very much a step down.

Edited by thewayiam

9 hours ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Have  Metallica been discussed?

Big gap in their UK Euro tour at the end of June.

Lars is a massive Glasto convert.

Metallica only tour in blocks of a fortnight now  then head home for family time - then back out again a fortnight later   you can see that over the last few years.

I would be surprised if they broke that rule and could have fitted in Glasto in that two week period they were playing, but you never know.