2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

24 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

I know they could be debated all day, and it's not the point, and it's a great effort.

But, REM indie and U2 pop? Both 'rock' for me. A lot of the 'pop' could be indie or rock for me, a lot still 'guitar bands'. 

Assuming pop as a genre, rather than just 'popular'. Cos they are all popular. 

U2 released an album called “Pop” - therefore I classed them as pop :D

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

They’ve been after Depeche Mode for years though. Festival doesn’t pay them enough to play. Or as the band puts it; ‘they don’t like the line up’.

I agree that it would perhaps be a booking that opens people’s minds to headliners not being ginormobands or nowt though.

Hiya dental.

I think DM are still an enormoband though, whilst not being quite a ginormoband.

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

Mate at work went to IOW primarily to see DM as he's a massive fan.

Was massively let down.

Said they didn't have a clue how to play a festival set / didn't play a greatest hits with just a few newies slipped in.

Carry on...

Yep, same at Mad Cool. First 10/11 songs were newer and more esoteric numbers and only afterwards did they roll out the bangers. Festival sets should always be at least a 70/30 split in favour of the hits.

Good to see you back on here Woffy, btw

4 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Was massively let down.

Said they didn't have a clue how to play a festival set / didn't play a greatest hits with just a few newies slipped in.

Carry on...

Their Mad Cool set was basically all hits and a sprinkling off the new album. No doubt in my mind they'd be a fantastic Pyramid headliner. 

Just now, dentalplan said:

Hey Woffy,

I think enormobands are what Coldplay give out on their US tours.

Enormoglowbands.

1 minute ago, Superunknown said:

Their Mad Cool set was basically all hits and a sprinkling off the new album. No doubt in my mind they'd be a fantastic Pyramid headliner. 

Fairy nuff. I know next to nothing of the Mode other than that god awful Anton Corbijn directed video.

17 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Was massively let down.

Carry on...

Surprised by this. Saw them at Mad Cool (almost exactly the same set) and I thought they absolutely nailed it and the crowd, even really far back, was massively into it. Not sure which other greatest hits were needed but let's hope they Never Let (Him) Down Again. 

Edited by The Martini Police

2 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Surprised by this. Saw them at Mad Cool (almost exactly the same set) and I thought they absolutely nailed it and the crowd, even really far back, was massively into it. Not sure which other greatest hits were needed but Let's hope they Never Let (Him) Down Again. 

6 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yep, same at Mad Cool. First 10/11 songs were newer and more esoteric numbers and only afterwards did they roll out the bangers. Festival sets should always be at least a 70/30 split in favour of the hits.

Good to see you back on here Woffy, btw

70/30?

If it's music for the masses it should be higher.

(nice to be back)

Is the Cure nailed on as headliners? They are a big band and popular but are they that popular in 2018.

I know they've headlined before but times change and once a headliner you can't always just assume you'll be in that position forever. 

I could well be wrong but they just don't seem relevant enough to headline now, though I'd be chuffed if they played cause I've never seen them before.

My gauge on how popular bands are can be quite terrible mind.

1 minute ago, chatty said:

Is the Cure nailed on as headliners? They are a big band and popular but are they that popular in 2018.

I know they've headlined before but times change and once a headliner you can't always just assume you'll be in that position forever. 

I could well be wrong but they just don't seem relevant enough to headline now, though I'd be chuffed if they played cause I've never seen them before. 

They may not be down with the kids anymore but they're still pretty darn big. They don't play lower than headliner anywhere else and managed to shift a metric fucktonne of BST tickets this summer.

8 hours ago, kalifire said:

Fair enough, but Gaga would just scream "we couldn't afford Madonna" and frankly feels a bit charitable.

I'm surprised a few people here consider her to be 'up there'. She's fallen way back from her prime.

I wouldn't watch either but given the choice, I'd pick GaGa over Madonna.

10 minutes ago, Woffy said:

70/30?

If it's music for the masses it should be higher.

(nice to be back)

The much maligned (on these boards at least) Noel Gallagher summed it up best when being interviewed on telly after playing T in The Park a few years back. "It's a festival. Play the hits and piss off".

9 minutes ago, chatty said:

As far as ticket sales are concerned they are arguably at their biggest.

Sold out BST in record time.

Sold out Malahide Castle in an hour yesterday.

If there was ever a time for a new Cure album it would be now...

2 hours ago, Keithy said:

Forgotten by you perhaps.

For the rest of the world, in 2017 she had her huge multiple sell out Joanne tour (which illness then cut short her European 2018 dates) and pulled $95m, Superbowl half time show in 2017, Joanne went platinum in 2017 and she starts her Vegas residency later this year. And also filmed and wrote or co-wrote 13 of the songs for ASIB.

Aye. Forgotten about.

She's still massive in the US no denying but doing the super bowl is like saying that Maroon 5 are now going to headline. 

You also realize Joanne sales wise did worse than Artpop?, Born This Way and previous she was on Stadium tours and her America sales have even dipped massively. I'd be fairly sure she isn't going to headline Glastonbury.

15 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Ah, there's the famous Woffy wit the place has so sorely missed

Pathetic effort on my behalf ^^

I'm not too fussed who the Pyramid Headliners are but it'd be nice if we can avoid a complete sausage fest.

Gaga or Madge would be decent.

I own nothing by Gaga but Madge's Confessions on a Dancefloor has the dance bangers to add to the 80s/90s hits.