2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Also, just to add, as it feels obligatory at this point, if The Cure can headline these days, then Cave's time is around the corner. Still massively relevant and surely a similar size. 2020 IT'S HAPPENING

Wondered how long it would take you to bring that up :lol:

I really like The Cure but the last time I saw them (Optimus 2012 in Portugal), the set went on forever. Think it ended up been around 3 hours and people just started getting off, it was too much.

If they do Glastonbury and they're restricted to 90 minutes or a bit more, and they play pretty much a best of set, I think it could be really good.

4 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Really wish I could excited for The Cure. Love the band but I have been here before. They headlined Bestival a few years ago and I was super hyped for it. It turned out to be a shockingly bad performance. The set went on and on and on and on. I'm a fan and I had no idea what they were playing for most of the time. I was quite near the front and people around me were just sitting down. It was all very strange.

Just had a look at the setlist...20 of the 27 songs were singles!

5 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Really wish I could excited for The Cure. Love the band but I have been here before. They headlined Bestival a few years ago and I was super hyped for it. It turned out to be a shockingly bad performance. The set went on and on and on and on. I'm a fan and I had no idea what they were playing for most of the time. I was quite near the front and people around me were just sitting down. It was all very strange.

They're not really going to get people up dancing. It's not that sort of music.

Not that there should be anything wrong with that. But i can see it's not really what a modern festival crowd wants from a headliner, sadly. 

48 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

If they are to play i'd be pleased because i'd say the other stages will benefit from good headliners to go up against them in order to spread the crowds out due to the fact that there's likely to be a thinner than average crowd at the pyramid.

You say that but the last time there was a Pyramid headliner who could reasonably be considered ‘niche’, Metallica, there was pretty thin gruel served up on the other main stages. It felt like they were trying to discourage people from going elsewhere, if anything.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Have seen The Cure twice at festivals (Reading 2012 & Bestival 2016) - undoubtedly they've got a big enough back catalogue, and are iconic enough to headline the Pyramid Stage (especially after Hyde Park and Bob Smith's Meltdown)

For me though, I don't think they'll go down well as a headliner at Glastonbury 2019, when you consider the crowd that tends to gravitate to the stage at that time... Look how well the Foo Fighters went down last year with the masses in comparison to Radiohead. Long, extended instrumentals and minimal interaction from the frontman don't usually make for a great headline set.

From a purely selfish point of view, though, it's quite nice to watch a Pyramid headliner with a smaller crowd sometimes. I was there for Metallica (hanging out halfway back, doing silly dancing with my mates) and Arcade Fire (got a decent spot with no bother). Nothing matches the huge crowds and anticipation for someone like The Stones, but there aren't many in that category.

7 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Have seen The Cure twice at festivals (Reading 2012 & Bestival 2016) - undoubtedly they've got a big enough back catalogue, and are iconic enough to headline the Pyramid Stage (especially after Hyde Park and Bob Smith's Meltdown)

For me though, I don't think they'll go down well as a headliner at Glastonbury 2019, when you consider the crowd that tends to gravitate to the stage at that time... Look how well the Foo Fighters went down last year with the masses in comparison to Radiohead. Long, extended instrumentals and minimal interaction from the frontman don't usually make for a great headline set.

Radioheads crowd looked big when I went past the top hill to Acoustic but if they are okay to book them they probably see The Cure as a last chance at a point where they've had a surge.

The Cure, Arctic Monkeys and Macca would be pretty huge. I'd go for Stormzy, Gaga and Liam as the subs. Stormzy under The Cure would be similar to when Dizzee was under U2 a while back which ended up being Gorillaz obviously. 

Edited by thewayiam

1 hour ago, poppyh24 said:

Se what you mean with Gaga... Would she not want to headline though? In fact I could go for your estimate completely .. Would have to pop off for a sneaky Brothers during Liam though 

I imagine she would want to but I'm not sure her status is there now and reckon she'd sub to have a chance to play. The fest would also have another big female act on the bill. I think Ariana will be somewhere though, 4th down Friday maybe.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Radioheads crowd looked big when I went past the top hill to Acoustic but if they are okay to book them they probably see The Cure as a last chance at a point where they've had a surge.

The Cure, Arctic Monkeys and Macca would be pretty huge. I'd go for Stormzy, Gaga and Liam as the subs. Stormzy under The Cure would be similar to when Dizzee was under U2 a while back which ended up being Gorillaz obviously. 

Really can’t see them sticking Stormzy on before The Cure and it’d be nothing like Dizzee on before U2. Stormzy before Arctics or Madonna imo. His crowd would be embarrassingly bigger than The Cure.

It’s a shame that the token mopey sub band were on before Radiohead last year as I’m struggling to think of who they’d stick on before The Cure. Maybe The War on Drugs will actually happen, although I’m not sure they’d want the Pyramid field to be so empty for so long.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Really can’t see them sticking Stormzy on before The Cure and it’d be nothing like Dizzee on before U2. Stormzy before Arctics or Madonna imo. His crowd would be embarrassingly bigger than The Cure.

It’s a shame that the token mopey sub band were on before Radiohead last year as I’m struggling to think of who they’d stick on before The Cure. Maybe The War on Drugs will actually happen, although I’m not sure they’d want the Pyramid field to be so empty for so long.

Iggy Pop subbing The Cure would be pretty good, though he could easily play a slot lower.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Tbf yes Stormzy before Arctics and Gaga before The Cure may work?, I just think she'll be there and prominent.

4 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Blimey, no it was 2011. I didn't realise it was that long ago.

Just checked the setlist - 32 songs :lol:

Ok then 21 songs were singles :D

I was at that one and at the front and don't remember anyone sitting down. It was very busy in front of the front barrier where we were but can appreciate people wandering off during the set as t'other half did the same and went to play Gay Bingo instead :D

6 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

What happened to the talk of stormzy headlining ? We’ve seen to have demoted him to a subbing slot. Not that I don’t agree with this I think it makes more sense for him to sub. If he was to sub it’d wouldn’t be before The Cure or Macca. 

I thought Stormzy could headline. But now given the news that The Cure and McCartney seem likely, combined with the rumours about Arctic Monkeys (and them seemingly doing it every 6 years), i'd say he'd fit in better as a sub-headliner to them on the Saturday night.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

so, info coming thick and fast. Only a few days ago I was arguing against this....

In the last 24 hours I've had two different whispers in my ear saying The Cure are headlining ... although one of them also comes with a separate bit of conflicting info that suggests - only suggests - that it might not be true.

Despite that this is one I have to take seriously. It shouldn't really be wrong, tho I do have a bit of trouble personally believing that its correct.

You fucking beauty.

2 hours ago, Fingerbobs said:

The Cure do fit that Friday night, oft slightly off-kilter slot. Everyone thinks Macca is a Sunday shoe-in but he seems more the big day long build up Saturday headliner to me. Then a family friendly sweary Madge for sun?

Most people think Macca is a shoo-in for Sunday because he's playing in America on the Wednesday, so won't be back in the UK until Thu or Fri, and he's got a few days between all his tour dates so I can't see him playing the day after he lands. Lots of people ruled him out initially because of that tour date and the fact he's leaving a few days between all his shows.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Or even if they do decide to check them out they’ll soon be turning the other way. Can imagine it being a particularly noticeable mass exodus pretty early on.

I dunno tbh, I think they'd get a small crowd but I don't think there'd be much of an exodus. I don't think they're like Radiohead where the weight of their name far outweighs how many actual recognisable songs they have. People who go to see The Cure will go knowing they're a fairly niche concern. If they chuck in a couple like In Between Days/Just Like Heaven/Lovesong early on I doubt there'll be many changing their minds on seeing them.

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

I just don't think their music has traveled through to my age group (and beyond?) on par with other bands of that era.

The likes of say The Smiths and R.E.M seem to have stood the test of time whereas The Cure simply haven't from my point of view. Yes I could sing the chorus to Friday i'm in love and perhaps a couple of others but i'm genuinely not interested in them at all.

As a 22 year old I'd say they've stood the test of time way better than R.E.M - don't think I've ever met anyone my age who's into R.E.M, whereas The Cure have always been a pretty essential band for those with more alternative tastes.

Yeah, The Smiths have stood the test of time better for sure, but I'd say The Cure are just below them along with the likes of Joy Division, and above the likes of Depeche Mode in terms of younger appeal.

I can only really add to the people saying The Cure were a bit of a drag live, sadly. I did my prep in advance, listened to and enjoyed Disintegration etc in the lead up, and obviously know the big singles, but at Reading 2012 I lost interest after half an hour and went to watch The Subways instead (they were great to be fair :lol:). Then came back for the last hour and caught Lovecats, Boys Don’t Cry etc which was enjoyable.

They did In Between Days and Pictures Of You in the hour I missed, though, so if they could agree to open their set with those and then allow me to leave and do something else that would be great (if you’re reading Rob).