2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

You're straight up not really into music if you've never even heard of The Cure, surely. They can't be booking headliners catering to people like that.

I've not even delved into their albums but I'm familiar with their greatest hits record and it's absolutely fantastic. This is finally something to get me to start listening to them properly.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

The Cure would be a perfect fit for Glasto. Just perfect. 

I'm also baffled by the fact that some people are claiming their audience to be 'niche'. They're quite mainstream, no? I mean: my mother and sister will know more Cure songs than they know songs by, let's say, Metallica, Arcade Fire, Kanye West, Gorillaz or Radiohead. Or The 1975/Stormzy, for that matter. 

There's nothing mainstream about the cure, absolutely nothing

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nope.

Asked my 22 year old son yesterday what people would say at his Uni if they were announced, and he reckoned most would say "who?".

I'd definitely agree with that, but there is the odd headliner who's already played who would get the same reception. I reckon Neil Young would get the same sort of thing from a 22 year old, maybe even Arcade Fire. Moby too although that was some time back now.

4 minutes ago, Odessa said:

You're straight up not really into music if you've never even heard of The Cure, surely. They can't be booking headliners catering to people like that.

I've not even delved into their albums but I'm familiar with their greatest hits record and it's absolutely fantastic. This is finally something to get me to start listening to them properly.

Don't get me wrong i'm not saying I have any iota of a problem with them headlining nor will I be starting a petition however of their era the musical output from them hasn't traveled through the age groups as well as the likes of the bands I've mentioned above.

If they are to play i'd be pleased because i'd say the other stages will benefit from good headliners to go up against them in order to spread the crowds out due to the fact that there's likely to be a thinner than average crowd at the pyramid.

1 minute ago, Honeybane said:

Saw Monkeys and Kendrick recently both were incredible. Kendrick could sub Monkeys. Both absolutely huge but not sure Kendrick could headline, think he fits subbing (AT GLASTO) better. He could headline Reading forever though. 

Nah Kendrick is a headliner or nothing at this point. Don't underestimate just how huge he's gotten over the past couple of years, and he's only gonna get bigger come the next album. I'd be surprised if Glastonbury could afford him - he'd have to really want to do the festival for them to nab him.

If it is The Cure and Macca then my guess would be that you can rule out another band, especially an older one.

Even Madge would draw criticism from some quarters as you’d have three “older” headliners. Suddenly those Gaga suggestions make a lot more sense.

My bet would be someone different and contemporary... looks like Stormzy is stepping up.

9 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I'm 21 and I'd be surprised if my mates didn't know Boys Don't Cry, The Love Cats, In Between Days, and probably a couple of others. Seems a bit off to reduce them to Friday I'm In Love. 

But then you've got the other 2/3s of their setlist filled with ten minute long sometimes unrecognisable dirges. I love The Cure but when I saw them at Bestival in 2011 there were long periods when I had no idea what they were playing before they decided to slip in one of their poppier numbers. Would be a frontrunner for the smallest Pyramid crowd by the end imo, in contrast to McCartney who'd surely have one of the biggest.

14 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Did he not get slated at the Olympics? Peeps have always had an agenda. So many “Oh I fucking hate Paul McCartney” merchants around.

During the build the year after The Olympics ME wandered up to my and my elder daughter just after she's finished tenting for WV for the day. We were chatting about legends performing and ME said that he was glad that he's booked Macca when he did as his voice is now shot. Seems ME's changed his mind. Maybe.

Just now, Sawdusty Surfer said:

During the build the year after The Olympics ME wandered up to my and my elder daughter just after she's finished tenting for WV for the day. We were chatting about legends performing and ME said that he was glad that he's booked Macca when he did as his voice is now shot. Seems ME's changed his mind. Maybe.

Maybe Emily's been to see Macca more recently and overruled him.

I'm pretty pleased if it's The Cure - far from a big fan, but I love the hits and it would be lovely to see them at Glasto. I've only seen them once before (2012, Electric Picnic) and while they didn't blow me away exactly, it was nice enough. Also they played just after the first time I'd ever seen Patti Smith live, in a comparatively tiny tent, so were always going to seem slightly underwhelming!

Real mixed reaction from people here - I get that they're not huge, but they do have their place in the canon in terms of longevity, influence etc and I think they're definitely worthy. I'd put them on a par with Gorillaz, Arcade Fire and Metallica in terms of audience size and there's nowt wrong with that if there's other strong options up against them. 

Paul McCartney is an undeniably strong headliner, so I think they can get away with one "weaker" one. Question is who would number three be? Artics or 1975 would make it really lacking in diversity, so I'd hope for Stormzy or Kendrick to mix things up a bit genre-wise. Be good to see a woman on the bill too, but I guess Kylie and some strong other stage headliners from that perspective might help. Really can't see them getting Madonna and McCartney in one year and then there'd be no one properly "current". 

7 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

Saw Monkeys and Kendrick recently both were incredible. Kendrick could sub Monkeys. Both absolutely huge but not sure Kendrick could headline, think he fits subbing (AT GLASTO) better. He could headline Reading forever though. 

Ive seen both monkeys and kendrick twice this year. Thought both gigs with AM to be quite disappointing, the setlists are shit. The crowd around me also gave me that impression. Im not into hip hop really but both times kendrick was amazing

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

More likely that it'll be less about vintage and more about genre, so Madonna as a pop headliner would mean that it's not just a rockfest.

That said, I still think Fleetwood Mac are strong contenders.

I think Fleetwood Mac will end up being one of the acts who approached them for 2020. Although it's happened before in 09, that seems like an awfully oldschool trio, and although Madonna has been around just as long, like you say, she's a pop headliner which would diversify it a bit.

Tbh at this point, most suggestions other than Arctics who I'm indifferent to at this point seem like pretty exciting prospects, for better or for worse. 

I find it hard to believe AM would be the third if it is indeed Macca/The Cure. Stormzy/Kendrick would be the fit for the 3rd slot, assuming Kylie does the Sunday afternoon slot.

I wouldn't be surprised if AM really wanted to do 2020. Could be the next logical Glastonbury step for them, another career defining moment.. whilst also lining their pockets with considerable ££ at Reading and/or IOW

14 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

<random> Band on the Run is a tune. I didn't see him in 2004 and I am Queen of shit-Glastonbury-Decision-Making so sure as hell not missing him again.

Pffft. Try picking Bloc Party over Neil Young, then come talk to me :lol:

Edited by Quark

1 hour ago, Fingerbobs said:

The Cure do fit that Friday night, oft slightly off-kilter slot. Everyone thinks Macca is a Sunday shoe-in but he seems more the big day long build up Saturday headliner to me. Then a family friendly sweary Madge for sun?

Nah, other way round if that's the spread.  Full on pop party on Saturday night with Madge, then a mass karaoke session on Sunday.  Really looking forward to hearing pissed people roaring NA-NA-NA-NAAAAAAAAHHH all the way into Monday morning.

Really wish I could excited for The Cure. Love the band but I have been here before. They headlined Bestival a few years ago and I was super hyped for it. It turned out to be a shockingly bad performance. The set went on and on and on and on. I'm a fan and I had no idea what they were playing for most of the time. I was quite near the front and people around me were just sitting down. It was all very strange.

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

Nah, other way round if that's the spread.  Full on pop party on Saturday night with Madge, then a mass karaoke session on Sunday.  Really looking forward to hearing pissed people roaring NA-NA-NA-NAAAAAAAAHHH all the way into Monday morning.

Yeah, I'd definitely say Cure on the Friday and Macca on the Sunday. If they do go for a hip-hop headline then Saturday has been the "traditional" slot based on Jay-Z and Kanye. 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

I remember people saying 'good for that Paul McCartney dude that he can feature on a hit single from Rihanna and Kanye', not knowing that the others are the lucky ones. Tbf, it were those kind of poorly-educated youngsters (maybe especially in the US, less in the UK), but just to say that there will always be people that are unfamiliar with (especially) older acts. Will be plenty of young people that are unfamiliar with The Beatles stuff (already some admitted that here), at least the name should sound familiar. 

Not me, I am in my twenties and know the discography from the inside out, know way more than my Dad, but I am an outlier.