Next Announcement 2017 Thread

Gnomicide

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

"The singer is an outspoken knob", "they make music for teenage girls", "practically a boy band", "people are saying they're experimental but they're just shite", "bland inoffensive rubbish".

The Beatles were The 1975 of the sixties.

William F. Buckley Jr.

Boston Globe

Sept. 13, 1964

An estimable critic writing for National Review, after seeing Presley writhe his way through one of Ed Sullivan's shows … suggested that future entertainers would have to wrestle with live octopuses in order to entertain a mass American audience. The Beatles don't in fact do this, but how one wishes they did! And how this one wishes the octopus would win….

pixel.gif
The Beatles are not merely awful; I would consider it sacrilegious to say anything less than that they are god awful. They are so unbelievably horribly, so appallingly unmusical, so dogmatically insensitive to the magic of the art that they qualify as crowned heads of anti-music, even as the imposter popes went down in history as "anti-popes."

4 minutes ago, mjsell said:

William F. Buckley Jr.

Boston Globe

Sept. 13, 1964

An estimable critic writing for National Review, after seeing Presley writhe his way through one of Ed Sullivan's shows … suggested that future entertainers would have to wrestle with live octopuses in order to entertain a mass American audience. The Beatles don't in fact do this, but how one wishes they did! And how this one wishes the octopus would win….

pixel.gif
The Beatles are not merely awful; I would consider it sacrilegious to say anything less than that they are god awful. They are so unbelievably horribly, so appallingly unmusical, so dogmatically insensitive to the magic of the art that they qualify as crowned heads of anti-music, even as the imposter popes went down in history as "anti-popes."

It's a shame he didn't live to see Catfish & the Bottlemen.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It's a shame he didn't live to see Catfish & the Bottlemen.

Technically he did.

I really enjoy reading critical stuff about the beatles at the time. My personal favourite:

Hartford Courant

Feb. 23, 1964

Stiff lip, old chap, even the Beatles will pass! The question is, what next?

Alan Rinzler

-

I admire anyone who can get the energy together for a run at Glastonbury and I'm relatively fit ... I can barely crawl out my tent in the early hours of the morning , but if exercise brings happiness which I'm told it does then why shouldn't anyone keep it going through the week of glastonbury ,  knowing how much harder it is to restart after taking a week off , and what better place for a jog than round the beautiful site whilst most people are in bed and the seagulls are about :)

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I think it's a few days before. They also had the Bowie Flash partially covered if I remember correctly so you couldn't see exactly what it looked like.

cheers , thats what I feared :( might have to go with an earlier version then .. might be a bit of a rush .. i reckon the phoenix was probably the best one but not sure Im going to be able to make one that moves 

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

As a resident of Stockport, I'm obliged to object to this statement in order to receive council services.

I have this exact problem with both Kaiser Chiefs and The Cribs.

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Trump, Brexit and The Courteeners headlining Glastonbury before Depeche Mode. The world is fucked.

Putting it mildly. Of the four acts she was pointing at in that article, KP probably the next best at odds* of 9/1. I'll put Biffy at 33/2 and The National at 28/1.

The Courteeners? Eh, they can have a 20/1. Their fanbase north of Birmingham is insane - and a sub slot at Reading and Leeds seems not too far away. (They'd bomb at Reading and be hailed as the second coming of Christ at Leeds.)

(*all odds provided by DBT52bet.com, your trusted source of pointless arbitrary betting numbers in this thread.)

1 minute ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

I have this exact problem with both Kaiser Chiefs and The Cribs.

Putting it mildly. Of the four acts she was pointing at in that article, KP probably the next best at odds* of 9/1. I'll put Biffy at 33/2 and The National at 28/1.

The Courteeners? Eh, they can have a 20/1. Their fanbase north of Birmingham is insane - and a sub slot at Reading and Leeds seems not too far away. (They'd bomb at Reading and be hailed as the second coming of Christ at Leeds.)

(*all odds provided by DBT52bet.com, your trusted source of pointless arbitrary betting numbers in this thread.)

To add some context to the mammoth that the Courteeners have become. They have sold more tickets for their gig at Old Trafford which has the Charlatans, Blossoms and Cabbage supporting than were sold for the last day of the Move Festival in 2002 at the same venue. The line up for the last day was New Order, Doves, Echo and the Bunnymen and Elbow.

6 minutes ago, eastynh said:

To add some context to the mammoth that the Courteeners have become. They have sold more tickets for their gig at Old Trafford which has the Charlatans, Blossoms and Cabbage supporting than were sold for the last day of the Move Festival in 2002 at the same venue. The line up for the last day was New Order, Doves, Echo and the Bunnymen and Elbow.

And that's with inflation too!

49 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Put them down south and they'll sell bugger all.

Wasn't the lead singer of the Courteeners complaining about the crowds down South compared to UP north? They seem to split peoples opinions on here too but what's the deal. How can a band be So popular within one half of the country but not the other?! Are a band like Rudimental shunned up North? Fascinating local love or us and them bullshit segregation? 

Edited by simian_mobile_mushrooms

3 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

Wasn't the lead singer of the Courteeners complaining about the crowds down South compared to UP north? They seem to split peoples opinions on here too but what's the deal. How can a band be So popular within one half of the country but not the other?! Are a band like Rudimental shunned up North? Fascinating local love or us and them bullshit segregation? 

No he complained that people belittled their (and others') fanbase because they're largely northern.

3 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

Nah I do not think anyone is really shunned up north. 

I find the Courteeners love in a bit mad really as it is just blah blah guitar to me, so I understand why people don't really like them. I think the people who are against bands because of where they come from are in the absolute minority really. 

Take the Happy Mondays for example. They broke through in London before they started getting any recognition in Manchester.

The general public tend to like music that says something about their life, something they feel an affinity towards. Us music nerds on here are maybe a little different than the general public.

3 hours ago, leggy91 said:

I'm as southern as they come and love the Courteeners, although I don't know anyone else that does :(

It can be a lonely world at times...

I feel you mate! At least I don't know anyone else who likes them on here anyways. I know plenty who like them locally in Brizzle.

I didn't get into them until the 2nd album so for those who hated them straight from the first album I can kinda see why they thought they were very samey. If you take songs like The Opener and Small Bones they're a bit more grown up from that standard indie method of songwriting.

Edited by EamerRed

I've seen The Courteeners 13 times and I haven't seen them in 5 years. Might have been a bit of an indie lad lad lad back in the day... They were always a good laugh though, went off them when they gave Not 19 Forever to United and I got more into punk. Still listen to St Jude every now and then but it's more a nostalgia thing. Can't see them ever headlining Glastonbury, I've heard worse suggestions though.

Courteeners are brilliant. Some excellent sing a long songs which is just what you need at a festival. 90% of the lineup released do far seems the opposite of this. Half the acts I've heard people raving about on here just seem so niche. Some of them ive listened to and thought fuck me how are people not self harming listening to this depressing drizzle. :D

Horses for courses though, its good to have a large vareity on... the variety just seems to all be leaning a bit to melancholy and grime this year unfortunately.

Holding out hope for some good sing a long or lively acts like... Imagine Dragons, Empire of the Sun, Elbow, Clean Cut Kid, Stereophonics, Jamiroquai, Temper Trap etc etc 

16 minutes ago, Havors said:

Holding out hope for some good sing a long or lively acts like... Imagine Dragons, Empire of the Sun, Elbow, Clean Cut Kid, Stereophonics, Jamiroquai, Temper Trap etc etc 

Kaiser Chiefs? George Ezra?  you'll be fine...

14 hours ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

well they sell out massive gigs here in Manc, doubt they'd do that anywhere else. I could take them or leave them really.