George Michael wtf? Jesus 2016.

smudger

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It's not gonna stop there though. :(

The thing is though that I fully appreciate and accept we have started to lose figures from when 'celebrity' became a significant part of the demographic, and still will, but these guys were nowhere near their time.....that's what cuts deep.

13 hours ago, brandycoke said:

Remember watching this concert, and not being impressed at the prospect of George singing with Queen.

i also remember the hairs on the back of my neck standing up when he completely nailed it, in a way that no other singer could have.

Absolutely, gob smackingly good performance, totally unexpected by me with my blinkered rock fan views, taught me not to be so dismissive. 

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Devastated by this news. Wasn't even a huge fan but feels like a huge loss :(

Always thought he seemed a decent sort. 

Wasn't really a fan of his music, but he was one of the few to publicly denounce Blair over Iraq at the time, this interview is quite revealing,

Hard to disagree with anything he has to say here, very astute guy.

It's all becoming apparent that on top of all he was perceived to be, underneath all of that was a hugely generous and kind hearted person. Donated enormous amounts to charities and people in need. Really adds to the heartbreak now all of this is coming out posthumously. What a brilliant man. May he rest in peace ✊

Edited by T-Mouse

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I saw someone describe Outside as the greatest punk rock single of the 1990s and it's difficult to argue with that assessment. Probably his finest moment.

after having Fastlove in my head all yesterday, i've had Outside in my head all day today. the sheer gaul of him writing and releasing it with the video and everything :lol: i believe the cop who busted him tried to sue him over this but, thankfully, lost

24 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I saw someone describe Outside as the greatest punk rock single of the 1990s and it's difficult to argue with that assessment. Probably his finest moment.

He took what could have been the most utterly awful, humiliating event in his entire life and decided to totally own it.

For that he always had my respect.

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

He took what could have been the most utterly awful, humiliating event in his entire life and decided to totally own it.

For that he always had my respect.

It's one of the coolest things that any musician has ever done.

What a Grade A fucking baller.

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

All this stuff coming out about him now. Crack cocaine, heroin...hardcore stuff. I wonder how much is true? I though he just liked a bit of weed.

i'm pretty surprised at the heroin thing (if it's true) but i'd always expected that somebody that in to weed had probably dabbled/more in other stuff as well

49 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Was he a joke figure? I didn't ever have that impression. I'm not trying to be argumentative, maybe it just passed me by

Maybe it wasn't quite so effective if you're old enough to remember his creative peak but certainly among my peer group (21 ish) the tabloids did a fine job of ensuring he was best known for the drug escapades and the car crash and the tabloid sting with the undercover policeman and anonymous sex in Hampstead Heath and all the rest of it :( the negativity was particularly vociferous - homophobic, even - when he became a leading critic of the Iraq war, indeed his quote expressing frustration about that from a few years ago has been doing the rounds to ridicule those same papers now putting out front pages mourning him. 

when it came up he died my girlfriend's first comment was "oh that'll be the drugs" not "oh but he was such a gifted songwriter what a shame", that says a lot. And just look at some of the language being used to describe him in the last few days, 'troubled' etc. Yes he was open about having depression but they still wouldn't be speaking about him in those terms if the tabloids hadn't normalised the idea that he'd gone off the rails. V v sad

Edited by Zac Quinn