The XX

gmb1992

Sunset slot would work a treat. I love sunsets.

Been listening to it pretty much on repeat at work today, it's a wonderful album. Replica is a beautiful track. Wonderful album, I don't feel let down which is good (apparently I'm negative and sometimes over hype albums). 

It's going to sound amazing live. (to echo everyones thoughts!)

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

Dangerous is gonna go offfffffff

Aint it just. Im going to be at the front, shirt off, swinging it above my head playing a pretend trumpet.

But seriously with those sorts of songs they suddenly start appealing to a much wider audience.

Do we think its likely they will play any of Jamie's stuff (Loud Places, Gosh)

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

They played a couple of his songs (Loud Places and Stranger in a Room) at their shows at the end of last year so I'm definitely expecting at least one (probably Loud Places)

I've heard that Gosh has been played too.

I'd love to see Jamie xx open the whole set with that, with the band taking the stage after with Intro before cruising into Dangerous.

Have just looked at their last full length setlist (start of Dec)

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-xx/2016/toyosu-pit-tokyo-japan-1bfbe998.html

Looks like they play all three. With Shelter and Gosh mixed - going in to Loud Places

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkzsJFk0kfk

Edited by mjsell

Lots of love for this album and the flaming lips one, just bought both so will be giving them a listen tonight. A good chance both of them will show up at the farm this year as well. The xx were good when they played last but the flaming lips set on the other stage was amazing, just hope I get a ticket in the resale

4 minutes ago, scrippit said:

It's not just me then. Phew! 

Emperor's new clothes.

*Lights touch paper, stands back*

Oh man, I worded my review so to not start a fire. You've killed us both!

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Is it just this album, or the xx in general?  I can see how the poppier sound could rub people up the wrong way.

This album. 

I loved xx, Coexist was pretty underrated. And now they have another album.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Oh man, I worded my review so to not start a fire. You've killed us both!

This album. 

I loved xx, Coexist was pretty underrated. And now they have another album.

I wouldn't worry, I think it's possible not to like something others are in to without offending them, as long as you do it nicely, which you both have so far :)

12 minutes ago, scrippit said:

No, I have really tried to like The XX because they get such a strong following on here. But somehow they just don't do it for me.  

I will try to see them live if they play at G because I must be missing something...or maybe not.

It's a conundrum isn't it? Personally in situations like this, I very rarely see the light with a band I don't get because I try to force it.  If they really leave you cold, then it's probably best to go and see something else you're actually going to enjoy.

For example, Bruce Springsteen in 2009.  I didn't like him on record, surprise surprise, I didn't like him live.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

I don't hate the record at all. I've listened to it twice. It's okay in places, quite nice in other, pretty grim in others again!

Saw them headline the tent at Latitude in 2010 and they left me wondering if it's possible to have fewer dimensions than one.

I like that they haven't made another identical record, but there's quite a bit of cheese on I See You.

A Violent Noise is the best track so far for me. Before listening today I'd have said unequivocally that I wouldn't be seeing them on the Farm in June. That's probably still true, but I wouldn't rule it out, and if scheduling puts them in the frame on the BenFinder®, then I'm prepared to keep them in the running 'til late on.

Enjoying Bonobo's Migration a whole lot more, mind...

:)

Ben

1 hour ago, scrippit said:

No, I have really tried to like The XX because they get such a strong following on here. But somehow they just don't do it for me.  

I will try to see them live if they play at G because I must be missing something...or maybe not.

Or see who you like rather than what a forum recommends ;)

The xx's show isn't worth persevering with if you're not a fan. They're nothing special.