Self Confirmed 2017

the wonderwhy

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:04 PM, bennyhana22 said:

I don't want to be antagonistic, nor presumptuous, nor inherently judgemental.

But it's this kind of attitude that makes me even more cross about 'proper' Glastonbury people not getting tickets.

One can fail to have anything to watch and do at just about any other festival, if two or three of the Sunday night headliners are not to your liking.

To feel that way when you're at Glastonbury really makes me feel that you don't deserve a ticket to the most diverse and extraordinarily curated festival in the world.

Are you too late to pop that ticket back in the pot? There are so many people on these lovely boards who wouldn't even contemplate being  half-way back to Leeds come 11pm on 25 June...

Ben

I've been to the last 7 festivals....'real' Glastonbury people?? What even are they?? Poor little snowflakes who hang off Billy Braggs every word? Grow up

I'm at work on Monday morning, but don't let that get in the way of getting all bent out of shape eh?

Edited by snorton82

1 minute ago, snorton82 said:

I've been to the last 7 festivals....'real' Glastonbury people?? What even are they?? Poor little snowflakes who hang off Billy Braggs every word? Grow up

I'm at work on Monday morning, but don't let that get in the way of getting all bent out of shape eh?

Do you work at Breitbart? :lol:

11 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Yep, those were my first thoughts.

With there being a Saturday night show in Bristol, there's a marginally better chance they're playing Friday. And then orchestra shows generally require a longer setup time than yer average rock band so opening a stage would be the best option. Would be an odd one to put them up against a band their fans would perhaps like to see.

Might indicate they're opening the Pyramid and it's either something we're not expecting in the Other opener slot or they're steamrollering it. Or I'm reading too much into it. :P

The music of gay black American nightclubs getting played to the white middle classes of the UK, by an orchestra, in a field during the day. That seems a little strange really.

Lets do it though. Would be something I never expected to see.

1 minute ago, snorton82 said:

If I was ben I'd have taken the piss for you thinking soulwax and ed are worth binning off, while biffy aren't. :P

But whatever flatters your own snowflake, you go for it. :)

12 minutes ago, eastynh said:

The music of gay black American nightclubs getting played to the white middle classes of the UK, by an orchestra, in a field during the day. That seems a little strange really.

Whilst true, I think people think of the Manchester nightclub and associated individuals rather than urban America.

23 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Not unlike the music of black Americans played by white middle classes. I.e all guitar based popular music. 

38 minutes ago, snorton82 said:

Thanks for your response, snorton.

I didn't write 'real', I wrote 'proper', using the inverted commas to indicate that I was qualifying the description.

If you'd bothered to read my post in context - i.e. with reference to the initial post to which I was responding, you might have understood the point I was making. Given that you didn't do that, I'll give it another go for you.

What I was clearly articulating was that Glastonbury is different, and it has less to do with it being that much bigger than every other festival and more to do with what it means to so many - the year-round depth and breadth of discussion on this board compared to the rest of eFests is a good representation of that - Glastonbury has a disproportionate number of fans that are devoted to it in a way that just does not appear to be the same elsewhere.

Given that, it is a legitimate extrapolation to say that those fans hold that passion in part because Glastonbury 'gives' you a very different experience to any other festival I have been to, and there are many. So, the point I was making to that poster was that it seemed rather sad that they would be happy to bugger off home because they didn't like the sound of two bands on two stages at 11pm on the Sunday night of the world's best festival, when there will also be 100 other amazing things for them to see and do - a programme of entertainment not offered by other festivals to anywhere near the same degree.

So I commented on my frustration that there are so many people who adore everything about the festival's diversity and breadth not getting tickets, when someone else who has got one would consider sacking off all of the other amazing stuff on Sunday night because there were a couple of bands on main stages he/she didn't like (my inference).

And, without a shred of self-congratulation, the fact that my post has 12 upvotes and no downvotes is an indication that my feelings on this might be shared.

And thanks for the advice regarding my maturation, but at 47, I'm about as grown up as I wish to be.

Take care

:)

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

33 minutes ago, eastynh said:

What a rubbish post. What about the music of black gay Latino American nightclubs being played by all sorts people all over the world every single weekend for decades. Get over yourself.

10 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I didn't write 'real', I wrote 'proper', using the inverted commas to indicate that I was qualifying the description.

If you'd bothered to read my post in context - i.e. with reference to the initial post to which I was responding, you might have understood the point I was making. Given that you didn't do that, I'll give it another go for you.

What I was clearly articulating was that Glastonbury is different, and it has less to do with it being that much bigger than every other festival and more to do with what it means to so many - the year-round depth and breadth of discussion on this board compared to the rest of eFests is a good representation of that - Glastonbury has a disproportionate number of fans that are devoted to it in a way that just does not appear to be the same elsewhere.

Given that, it is a legitimate extrapolation to say that those fans hold that passion in part because Glastonbury 'gives' you a very different experience to any other festival I have been to, and there are many. So, the point I was making to that poster was that it seemed rather sad that they would be happy to bugger off home because they didn't like the sound of two bands on two stages at 11pm on the Sunday night of the world's best festival, when there will also be 100 other amazing things for them to see and do - a programme of entertainment not offered by other festivals to anywhere near the same degree.

So I commented on my frustration that there are so many people who adore everything about the festival's diversity and breadth not getting tickets, when someone else who has got one would consider sacking off all of the other amazing stuff on Sunday night because there were a couple of bands on main stages he/she didn't like (my inference).

And, without a shred of self-congratulation, the fact that my post has 12 upvotes and no downvotes is an indication that my feelings on this might be shared.

And thanks for the advice regarding my maturation, but at 47, I'm about as grown up as I wish to be.

Take care

Ben

*drops mic*

On 11/04/2017 at 6:04 PM, bennyhana22 said:

I don't want to be antagonistic, nor presumptuous, nor inherently judgemental.

But it's this kind of attitude that makes me even more cross about 'proper' Glastonbury people not getting tickets.

One can fail to have anything to watch and do at just about any other festival, if two or three of the Sunday night headliners are not to your liking.

To feel that way when you're at Glastonbury really makes me feel that you don't deserve a ticket to the most diverse and extraordinarily curated festival in the world.

Are you too late to pop that ticket back in the pot? There are so many people on these lovely boards who wouldn't even contemplate being  half-way back to Leeds come 11pm on 25 June...

Ben

My first glastonbury in 2013 we left sunday night as we werent bothered about anyone on last on the sunday night and we wanted to beat the traffic monday morn, please explain what I have to do in your eyes to redeem myself now as a `proper` glastonbury person? lol That post was hilarious , if your not being ironic or taking the piss your one fuck of an arrogant tossbag....I would go so far as to say that kind of elitist attitude rules you out of being a `glastonbury person` full stop, `proper` or otherwise! :P

Big yes to King Gizzard playing. Where would they fit these days? Mid JP or somewhere on Other? 

Hacineda Classical could be a good start to the day. Pyramid I reckon, still think Other will be Kooks/Elbow/Maximo Park or someone of similar standing. 

26 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Take care

Ben

Again, if you'd read my post fully you would know that I'm at work on Monday....so a drive home at midnight to be at work for 6am is off the menu.

There are only a handful of bands that could make me stay around until the close....and Ed Sheeran certainly isn't one of them.

PS. this is the first year I've had to leave early....every other year I have been a good and proper Glastonbury goer

14 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

My first glastonbury in 2013 we left sunday night as we werent bothered about anyone on last on the sunday night and we wanted to beat the traffic monday morn, please explain what I have to do in your eyes to redeem myself now as a `proper` glastonbury person? lol That post was hilarious , if your not being ironic or taking the piss your one fuck of an arrogant tossbag....I would go so far as to say that kind of elitist attitude rules you out of being a `glastonbury person` full stop, `proper` or otherwise! :P

There's obviously precious little point in responding and getting into a pointless back and forth, so I'll just say thanks for your reply and leave it at that.

Oh, except arrogantly and tossbaggingly to suggest that you try using 'you're' a little more.

Ben

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

If I was ben I'd have taken the piss for you thinking soulwax and ed are worth binning off, while biffy aren't. :P

But whatever flatters your own snowflake, you go for it. :)

Biffy have been awesome every time I've seen them at Glasto or any other festival....you're missing out

Just now, snorton82 said:

Again, if you'd read my post fully you would know that I'm at work on Monday....so a drive home at midnight to be at work for 6am is off the menu.

There are only a handful of bands that could make me stay around until the close....and Ed Sheeran certainly isn't one of them.

PS. this is the first year I've had to leave early....every other year I have been a good and proper Glastonbury goer

I did read it, snorton, and was making no reference to your situation. I also did not equate simply leaving early with not being a good Glastonbury goer. Nuance is not always conveyed in text, I guess. 

Best put this particular discussion to bed.

Ben