Self Confirmed 2017

the wonderwhy

Tbh I'm not entirely sure just how big Soulwax are. When they played Bestival a couple of years ago they played slap bang in the middle of the day in a tent, and it was ace, but I wouldn't say it was particularly full or anything. JP/WH sub seems about right to me but I wouldn't be surprised to see them get lower (but if that's the case, a tent/John Peel is a must).

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Tbh I'm not entirely sure just how big Soulwax are. When they played Bestival a couple of years ago they played slap bang in the middle of the day in a tent, and it was ace, but I wouldn't say it was particularly full or anything. JP/WH sub seems about right to me but I wouldn't be surprised to see them get lower (but if that's the case, a tent/John Peel is a must).

That's a pretty good point. Was an age between album releases, and although the new one was good, it didn't exactly have blindingly good reviews. To compare them against another act from recent times, I'd say they're no bigger than Caribou, and they subbed WH didn't they?

Just now, big__phil said:

That's a pretty good point. Was an age between album releases, and although the new one was good, it didn't exactly have blindingly good reviews. To compare them against another act from recent times, I'd say they're no bigger than Caribou, and they subbed WH didn't they?

But then on the other side of that, Santigold subbed WH last year which seemed like a puzzling booking for me because I didn't think anybody cared much about her anymore. Felt like the original sub had pulled out and she'd been drafted in last minute. So maybe size/popularity can be overlooked sometimes. They're certainly a widely known name, even if this long awaited new album has kind of arrived with too little too late.

3 minutes ago, big__phil said:

On the same note Todd Terje Subbed the other year and I'd say Soulwax are arguably a more well known name. 

Agree with difficult to place though, I've got no idea. 

Just now, zeppelin said:

On the same note Todd Terje Subbed the other year and I'd say Soulwax are arguably a more well known name. 

Agree with difficult to place though, I've got no idea. 

Todd Terje had a huge (in the electronic world) new critically acclaimed album out though, so whilst maybe a bit too high, I could see the sense behind it. Soulwax have released a new album and it's seemingly gone unnoticed by a lot of poeple, and have been popping up live at festivals/gigs sporadically since their last album which has kind of dulled their 'return'. 

Headlined the second stage at Latitude last year (headlined on the other nights by Grimes and SBTRKT) if that's anything to judge them on.

41 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Todd Terje had a huge (in the electronic world) new critically acclaimed album out though, so whilst maybe a bit too high, I could see the sense behind it. Soulwax have released a new album and it's seemingly gone unnoticed by a lot of poeple, and have been popping up live at festivals/gigs sporadically since their last album which has kind of dulled their 'return'. 

Headlined the second stage at Latitude last year (headlined on the other nights by Grimes and SBTRKT) if that's anything to judge them on.

And what an album it was! But yeah you're probably right in that's how he got that slot. 

I think our best bet is to look at positions at other fests like you have done there. Headlining second stage at latitude is potentially a good indicator. I think I see them on JP over WH for Glastonbury. But if they play before Justice on WH it'd make my life a lot easier! 

Soulwax: Smaller than Caribou for me, but not small enough to relegate them lower than 2nd on WH if they were to play there. 2nd down on WH or JP would be appropriate

Similar to LCD in that they have a very loyal following inside a certain age bracket but probably very little outside of that.

At the same time though, I would have a hard time understanding how they could be below Metronomy on a lineup.

Edited by Memory Man

Just now, snorton82 said:

If a couple of Sunday night headliners are Soulwax and Ed Sheeran it would justify me being half way back to Leeds come 11pm....garbage.

Biffy and home

I don't think anybody has talked about Soulwax being one of the Sunday night headliners. Wind your neck in.

Just now, MattDavies__ said:

Interesting, seems to have been deleted pretty hastily 

Hmm I wouldn't want to get my hopes up in any way but what with them mentioning the day maybe we're due either a stage announcement or, better yet, day/stage splits. Seems far too soon for the latter though.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Just looks to be their logo slapped on a regular one.

That's a William's Green act whenever I've seen one.

Yeah likely WIlliam's Green. I'd have checked them out if it was during the day, they will definitely be clashing with someone later on.

47 minutes ago, modern_age said:

Carl Barat and The Jackals have just self confirmed on facebook with official looking graphics. Maybe we're due another announcement soon?  

Screen Shot 04-11-17 at 02.35 PM.PNG

I'm a bit crap at Facebook.  Has that been taken down?