Other Stage 2017

Gucci Piggy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, evannn said:

Turns out I actually know 2 depeche mode songs, every days a school day! (Used to think that was human league)

Their first album was essentially a different band.  Vince Clarke (latterly of  Erasure, Yazoo amongst others) wrote the vast majority of that record, which was glorious bubblegum electro pop.  Then, when he left, Depeche Mode moved towards the more rock/industrial sound for which they're known.  I like the first band, not as keen on the second, proper Depeche Mode.

I'm sure Easty will correct my gross mischaracterisation of the band, but that's essentially it - the first album (Speak & Spell) was really poppy and is well worth checking out if you like Just Can't Get Enough.  And who doesn't?

21 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Their first album was essentially a different band.  Vince Clarke (latterly of  Erasure, Yazoo amongst others) wrote the vast majority of that record, which was glorious bubblegum electro pop.  Then, when he left, Depeche Mode moved towards the more rock/industrial sound for which they're known.  I like the first band, not as keen on the second, proper Depeche Mode.

I'm sure Easty will correct my gross mischaracterisation of the band, but that's essentially it - the first album (Speak & Spell) was really poppy and is well worth checking out if you like Just Can't Get Enough.  And who doesn't?

Thanks, that's really informative, I'll give them a go

Yeah - I was at that as well, though admittedly at the back having a carry on with a bunch of Spanish ladies for most of it rather than giving Gonky McGee my undivided attention.

It's the #FOMO factor for when a big band shows up in a small venue.

Never mind - got tickets for 3 of the nights and the Sunday afternoon.  Just need to try and wangle my way into the Tramway for Sinkane on the Saturday.

4 hours ago, eastynh said:

They could only go up against Ed Sheeran though surely? 

I would say they were headliner or bust. Yet they are playing the 6 Music gig that New Order played last year, before going on to headline Other.

I hope your waters are correct. It would be a real coup for Glastonbury to get Depeche Mode and Lady Gaga in none headline slots.

My waters are currently telling me I need to re-aquaint myself with a longdrop.