Other Stage 2017

Gucci Piggy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Mardy said:

BBK absolutely fulfills the criteria for an Other headliner. New, exciting, hot (or whatever this years' word is). An alternative the Pyramid. Yeah, much better choice than some hoary old rock band. Other have a pretty good tradition in the last few years of taking a punt on at least one of their headliners. Sometimes it works (Skrillex), sometimes it doesn't (Deadmau5) but it's a policy I respect and admire.

Christ. When did Skrillex headline the Other? 

23 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

nope.

If the info I've had is accurate, there's nowt of anything like that size.

I'm unsure if the info I've had is accurate. I suspect it is, tho I'm not entirely sure that it's completely accurate, and there might be other acts around what I've been told.

Does the Weeknd count as *that size*? Or is this still the info that Wiley/BBK are headlining?

58 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

nope.

I'm unsure if the info I've had is accurate. I suspect it is, tho I'm not entirely sure that it's completely accurate, and there might be other acts around what I've been told.

So was the Info that BBK are headlining the Saturday night with Stormy Subbing?

Not sure I agree or believe in this 'full day of hip-hop/grime' thing for the Other Stage. Whilst the festival should certainly be looking to book more hip-hop acts and grime's current popularity is making it so they pretty much have to make those bookings or be left in the lurch/look outdated, they've never really done a whole day dedicated to one thing before (or maybe they have and I'm not aware of it, forgetting the multiple days of indie landfill that've probably occurred on Other a hundred times because that's just what that stage usually caters to) so I can't see them doing it now, and don't think it should be done. BBK and Stormzy high up on Other one day? Sure why not. The whole stage being taken over by grime acts for a day? No thanks - spread em out across the weekend, and don't just stop at grime because it's on our doorstep.

Didn't intend for that to be a rant but looks like that's what it turned in to :lol: chances are this was never gonna happen anyway and somebody somewhere has just put 2 and 2 together and got 5 in seeing a couple of grime acts are booked for Other.

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Not sure I agree or believe in this 'full day of hip-hop/grime' thing for the Other Stage. Whilst the festival should certainly be looking to book more hip-hop acts and grime's current popularity is making it so they pretty much have to make those bookings or be left in the lurch/look outdated, they've never really done a whole day dedicated to one thing before (or maybe they have and I'm not aware of it, forgetting the multiple days of indie landfill that've probably occurred on Other a hundred times because that's just what that stage usually caters to) so I can't see them doing it now, and don't think it should be done. BBK and Stormzy high up on Other one day? Sure why not. The whole stage being taken over by grime acts for a day? No thanks - spread em out across the weekend, and don't just stop at grime because it's on our doorstep.

Didn't intend for that to be a rant but looks like that's what it turned in to :lol: chances are this was never gonna happen anyway and somebody somewhere has just put 2 and 2 together and got 5 in seeing a couple of grime acts are booked for Other.

I'm sure a lot of people would prefer the 'grime scene' to be all bundled up into one place and time so that they all know where to avoid for a good stretch of time (this isnt me btw).

I was at a pub last night and BBC London news was on one of the tellys, they had a little story about Stormzy being up for best breakthrough act at the Brits tonight and a little thing about him slating the Brits last year for not including any grime artists. One of the blokes sitting near me in the pub said - "maybe if I get all shouty and throw my arms about I could get best breaking artist or whatever it's called. What absolutely shite music".

I always enjoy hearing these types of attitudes towards genres of music people don't have a clue about.

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I would also say, I went to Drake's gig at the o2 the other week and he brought on Section Boyz and Giggs. Section were awful and really didn't work on such a big stage, so hard to see how it would work on a massive festival one. Just angry shouty bollocks.

Giggs was better but there was still a huge gulf between him and others that were brought on - Young Thug and Travi$ Scott and then another gulf again to Drake himself

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

nope.

Does that rule out a Chance the Rapper/Childish Gambino/Frank Ocean type name being on the lineup then? Or are you just referring to the Other Stage? I can maybe see one of those names being perfect to sub Ed on the Pyramid.

Just now, musicfanofeverything said:

Does that rule out a Chance the Rapper/Childish Gambino/Frank Ocean type name being on the lineup then? Or are you just referring to the Other Stage? I can maybe see one of those names being perfect to sub Ed on the Pyramid.

Only Frank would get that sorta slot in the UK. Don't think we'll see any of those for various reasons, sadly.

Think there's a good chance The Weeknd could sub Ed now tho, with the likelihood of that being Sunday growing.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Only Frank would get that sorta slot in the UK. Don't think we'll see any of those for various reasons, sadly.

Think there's a good chance The Weeknd could sub Ed now tho, with the likelihood of that being Sunday growing.

Yeah I would be totally happy with The Weeknd subbing Ed. I know Chance has a US tour that finishes a week before Glastonbury which makes me think that way. Gambino doesn't seem to be active on the festival circuit this year, but that could change. Frank is in Europe during Glastonbury I would think, so still got hopes up for that :)

1 minute ago, musicfanofeverything said:

Frank is in Europe during Glastonbury I would think, so still got hopes up for that :)

Parklife and Lovebox are apparently his only UK festival dates this year. Something similar was said for Sigur Ros last year and they ended up playing, but I wouldn't hold your breath for Frank.

The Weeknd subbing Ed seems like a good bet then if he's not tied down to an exclusive for Wireless or anything.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Parklife and Lovebox are apparently his only UK festival dates this year. Something similar was said for Sigur Ros last year and they ended up playing, but I wouldn't hold your breath for Frank.

Ah that's totally fair enough. I did think it would be too good to be true.

29 minutes ago, musicfanofeverything said:

I only have the info I have, it doesn't tell me anything about what I might not have.

4 hours ago, mjsell said:

I'm sure a lot of people would prefer the 'grime scene' to be all bundled up into one place and time so that they all know where to avoid for a good stretch of time (this isnt me btw).

I was at a pub last night and BBC London news was on one of the tellys, they had a little story about Stormzy being up for best breakthrough act at the Brits tonight and a little thing about him slating the Brits last year for not including any grime artists. One of the blokes sitting near me in the pub said - "maybe if I get all shouty and throw my arms about I could get best breaking artist or whatever it's called. What absolutely shite music".

I always enjoy hearing these types of attitudes towards genres of music people don't have a clue about.

The replies to this tweet are just the worst 

Going off their booking page, alt-J can only do Saturday between the two German festival dates. Sounds like it'd eliminate them but Tom Odell went back and forth from Hurricane to Glasto to Southside last year therefore not unheard of.

Don't think Lawn Dogg's mates will be wrong and as it was suggested that they may be playing opposite Foos, it tallies with the shifting idea of their day too. Conflicts with the idea of there being something to do with hip hop on the Other that night but is that rock solid info? Lemme know.