Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

5 hours ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, lots of this mirrors my feelings. I'm not a hardcore radiohead devotee but i thnk they're an interesting enough band. I can recognise quite a few songs but i'm very much a neutral. I'm intrigued as to whether they can win me over.

Realistically, i'm never going to pay to see them, and also this is a key gig for them, their last two performances on the pyramid were career-defining moments. They'll have that weight of pressure on them. Personally,  think they're not the pull for many people that they were last time they played. The demographic of the Glastonbury crowd is significantly different these days. They're going to have to really work to pull it off. It's the most jeopardy around a headliner since the Stones, easily.

Snap, same here.  I'll go and see them, we've got tickets for the F'lips in August so can miss them.  Can't see Neil lasting more than 10 mins though :lol:  Pretty sure it'll be another case of 'see you in the bar later' from him.

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

you reckon there's more jeopardy to this than Kanye?  I'd say not - they're gonna get a smallish crowd. But a crowd of mostly converted people. Kanye would've got a lot of simply curious people whereas I don't think radiohead will. 

Yeah, i do think there's more jeopardy but for a different reason. Their 2 Glastonbury performances are (dread phrase) 'legendary'. They have a lot to lose by screwing it up. Young people in that crowd have been raised on stories about those sets. Radiohead know that they have those performances hanging over them. Way more jeopardy than Kanye. Kanye fucks up, he flies out 20 mins later, it's over. Kanye drew a crowd that was curious to see him live, sure, but who knew what to expect in that 'it's Kanye, some of it will be ace, some of it awful'.

Radiohead here are in danger of pissing on the legacy of 2 historic performances. That's a big deal, not least for them. They're going to be feeling that, i've no doubt about it. This is a band whose history is intrinsically connected to Worthy Farm. They didn't need to risk this. And yet they are. It's properly fascinating. 

5 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, i do think there's more jeopardy but for a different reason. Their 2 Glastonbury performances are (dread phrase) 'legendary'. They have a lot to lose by screwing it up. Young people in that crowd have been raised on stories about those sets. Radiohead know that they have those performances hanging over them. Way more jeopardy than Kanye. Kanye fucks up, he flies out 20 mins later, it's over. Kanye drew a crowd that was curious to see him live, sure, but who knew what to expect in that 'it's Kanye, some of it will be ace, some of it awful'.

Radiohead here are in danger of pissing on the legacy of 2 historic performances. That's a big deal, not least for them. They're going to be feeling that, i've no doubt about it. This is a band whose history is intrinsically connected to Worthy Farm. They didn't need to risk this. And yet they are. It's properly fascinating. 

He's one of the most critically acclaimed artists to have headlined the Pyramid and I don't know one person who went into it expecting some of it to be awful. The only worry was that he might start ranting in the middle of it.

2 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

He's one of the most critically acclaimed artists to have headlined the Pyramid and I don't know one person who went into it expecting some of it to be awful. The only worry was that he might start ranting in the middle of it.

Let's just say he's known for his performances being somewhat unpredictable. That fair to say?

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

In that context, an OK computer anniversary set would logically seem the safest bet to not ruin the legacy. Yet, IMO would be the wrong option and cause more damage in a different kind of way. 

Yrah, worst thing they could do, for a band that has prided itself on reinvention and not looking back. Essentially surrendering to nostalgia

I think we're giving them a little too much respect here. They've played any old festival over the last year or so. They're playing one tonight. 

They're re-releasing a 20 year album on the same day they're going out to millions live on the Beeb. Any sort of credibility they had around the festival is gone. Beyonce did something similar with perfume. 

I can't tell where Thom Yorkes head begins and where his arse ends.

2 hours ago, Kizzie said:

Snap, same here.  I'll go and see them, we've got tickets for the F'lips in August so can miss them.  Can't see Neil lasting more than 10 mins though :lol:  Pretty sure it'll be another case of 'see you in the bar later' from him.

If he makes it past those first 2 dreary songs I'll buy a mug.

Not.A.Chance.

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

If he makes it past those first 2 dreary songs I'll buy a mug.

Well he lasted 3.5 minutes for the boss, so 2 songs is some kind of result.

Mary J Blige about 7 mins, Dolly Parton, roughly 4 mins. :lol:

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

That's four minutes more than I did. 

Must admit I did want to run with him, but was daughters fave thing ever, so I had to sweat it out.

Having seen them night 2 Oslo and in Stockholm, Oslo night 2 was a much better fans' set but the Stockholm show would go down a treat at Glasto largely. So many fan favourites and plenty to keep fans of the older stuff happy. They were sounding great too. Bit worried about Desert Island Disk - really don't get why they have it as the second song every gig.

Daydreaming is a great opener at their gigs - the crowd usually fall silent and the new lighting effects they have make it really atmospheric. Not sure it'll translate that well to Glasto - it'll still be light when they start and can't see the crowd being so quiet when they start it. 

They opened with those two songs at Coachella and have been doing so at every gig on the tour so far. It's a shame but I think they'll start the Glasto set a little flat. 

4 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

He's critically acclaimed for his recorded material. While his live show has also largely had good reviews, he's not renowned as a live performer in the same way. 

Fully expected a few changes to the set with this one being a festival show. DID will probs come back for their own shows. Great setlist so far tonight. I really don't mind them opening with daydreaming. If they follow it with The National Anthem then lordy