The stone roses

weeksy97

2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

In conclusion I'll pay it and I'll love it. But every year more and more people are excluded and that's wrong. Dunno how to solve it either as I'm not laying the blame at the eavii feet necessarily as I'm sure the neighbours are raping them too. 

I agree, it shouldn't be a case of those that can't afford the steep price are automatically excluded. 

One idea would be for those that can afford it to pay a bit more, maybe a tenner.  This would then subsidies an amount of cheaper tickets.  So us middle aged wedged up folks (I wish) pay 250 and then there are 20k £150 tickets (note, I've not done the maths on that figure).  I've no idea how you'd police the availability of cheaper tickets though, age, students ???

Having said all that, if you really are determined to go and don't have the cash there's always the working option.  Get paid and see the festival.  Free food and drink in a lot of circumstances.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, nikkic said:

What do you think would be a fair price? 

I would say £180-£200

I seem to remember my first proper festival (Reading 2009) was around the £170 figure, which I afforded as a 17 year old having saved for a while - but like someone said earlier about being good with money, I have always been able to forward plan and put enough away throughout the year and not waste it on pointless shit (although at 17 was there really much to spend stuff on?)

I dont know what it was but when I first saw the price of this year at glastonbury I remember thinking 'thats a bit steep' - I have never thought that about the price of festivals until this year. 

32 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

That's the best idea in theory. You are right about the policing of it though. For every one of us who would happily pay a bit extra if that was the reason there'd be someone trying to scam it. If other way. Russy's idea of tripling vip works for me. Enough of those people that want to be seen to be there would stump up that. And then maybe at time of booking you have to put in a student Id or ub40 number or something?

The work option is a good point but not many would do that till they'd been at least once as nobody fully understands how great a place it is till they've been. I missed out on tickets for three years and wasn't that bothered. I'd be gutted now. 

People blag their way in one way or other every year anyway. I'd have no problem with a few people blagging their way to a discount with a fake student card or whatever, they would probably be hard up to do it anyway.

The prices of worthy view could be hugely increased too to help fund it.

The reason they wont implement this idea is because there would be an outcry from the people who would be paying full price. Everyone loves the hippy ideals of glastonbury until they have to pay for them. How many tarquins and pandoras do you think would gladly help out the unemployed?

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

I've no idea. I can afford the current price so I'm the wrong person to ask.

For a start people like me could pay a higher price to subsidise students and the unemployed though. Double or triple the prices of the VIP tickets. Maybe even close down one of the stages to help fund it too. It is very far from a perfect solution, but it'd be a step in the right direction.

I do know for 100% certain that my 18-30 year old self wouldnt have been able to even dream of attending the festival.

I've always been of the thinking that if I can't afford something then I'll save for it to buy it, not that something should be subsidised so that I can afford it. When I was a student and when I was unemployed, things like holidays and festivals weren't even on my radar. 

However, now that I'm in a position to go to festivals, I would happily pay £50 more if it meant someone else who couldn't afford it could go, a nurse for instance. 

Would you pay £300 if it meant someone else could pay £200? 

I would also gladly see people in the VIP sections paying a lot more, however I suspect many that are in the tipi section etc are on freebies so implementing it may be difficult! 

You can bring your own booze to Glastonbury so that saves a bundle, you can also each cheaply when you're there too (meal for a fiver deal) so once there the overheads are lower than any other festival.

Yes the ticket cost is higher than other festivals, but comparatively better value so you actually get more for your money.

Festivals in general are expensive, in this day and age with the minimum wage anybody who really wanted to could save £250 over 12 months if they wanted to, but of course that's not the only cost and the additional costs are not unique to Glastonbury they are specific to festivals, so if you can't afford the difference between a cheaper festival and Glastonbury (£100 at most?) how can you afford to go to any festival at all?

The ticket price alone is largely irrelevant because it only forms part of what is a much larger cost regardless of the festival.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

8 hours ago, thewayiam said:

No they wouldn't.

The Roses are filling these stadiums out on hype alone. It has built up over 20 years because of their insistence that they would not get back together. After their Reading festival performance they were an absolute laughing stock and were being ridiculed in the media.

If the Mondays had just quit after Shaun went for KFC, rather than signing the deal that was on the table, then disappeared for 20 years, then I believe the hype would have just been the same.

50 minutes ago, eastynh said:

The Roses are filling these stadiums out on hype alone. It has built up over 20 years because of their insistence that they would not get back together. After their Reading festival performance they were an absolute laughing stock and were being ridiculed in the media.

If the Mondays had just quit after Shaun went for KFC, rather than signing the deal that was on the table, then disappeared for 20 years, then I believe the hype would have just been the same.

The Roses had far, far better and more famous songs than the Mondays. Yes their live reputation was shambolic at times, but even in the years in between the split and the reunion you would hear far more Roses songs out than you would Happy Mondays. Not even comparable. 

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I have a bad feeling about this year.

I'm also out of Wembley sale, and I feel the same as you about G.

Last year I was in and booked in about 7 minutes. The only hope I have is that a lot of first timers from last year will have had enough of the glud (what we christened the Glastonbury mud) and a lot of interested people would have abandoned based on the mud. 

Just now, mungo57 said:

I'm also out of Wembley sale, and I feel the same as you about G.

Last year I was in and booked in about 7 minutes. The only hope I have is that a lot of first timers from last year will have had enough of the glud (what we christened the Glastonbury mud) and a lot of interested people would have abandoned based on the mud. 

Yeah true. Hopefully the media shuts the fuck up about it over the coming week. We need a massive celebrity scandal to keep the mindless drones occupied.

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yeah true. Hopefully the media shuts the fuck up about it over the coming week. We need a massive celebrity scandal to keep the mindless drones occupied.

hopefully this daily telegraph football thing keeps rolling on and on and on!

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

They will be replaced by even more first timers though who think they know how much hard work it is but don't really.  

I suppose, I know a lot of people that want to go next year despite last year - the mantra seems to be 'the mud can't be that bad'....... these are the type of people that take portable straighteners and hair dryers to fests with them though. If only there was a filter for these sort of people that weeds them out and gives priuority booking to efesters :P