Screening of Euros?

MissMollyAnna

1 hour ago, Junglist1981 said:

We watched the Germany game in 2010 in a big field up the hill on the East of the site that was technically outside of the festival. It was really weird up there.. It was roasting hot and there was no shade anywhere.  They were selling water and beer out of the back of a lorry.

When Germany scored the 3rd the majority of us fucked it off but then had to queue for 15 minutes to get back into the festival as they checked our wrist bands.

Never again!

EDIT - it was in the field with the heart in it on google maps here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1538351,-2.5735476,409m/data=!3m1!1e3 

Yes - this was the field we were in. The other was full and we walked miles across site to get to this one, queued for ages to get in, witnesed a thrashing in the boiling sun, then queued for ages to get back. Never, never again.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Yes - this was the field we were in. The other was full and we walked miles across site to get to this one, queued for ages to get in, witnesed a thrashing in the boiling sun, then queued for ages to get back. Never, never again.

I think I'd only be interested if it were on the Weds or Thurs now. And even then, it feels like a bit of a waste when the best music festival in the world is in the field next door...

As a former card-carrying England fan who did the full tournament in 2004 and 2006 there is not a cat in hell's chance I am watching any England game between Friday and Sunday.

It completely fucking ruined my Sunday in 2010. Never again. I'll find out when I get home.

6 hours ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

The bar up at Williams Green had the Netherlands against Mexico on the other year. I happend to be up there picking up a chicken ended up sat with some Dutch watched the game with them then went our separate ways. 

We still talk football now, like Glastonbury football can be unifying. 

I just nipped in there for a beer during the back end of that and had to stay, absolutely brilliant atmosphere with those supporting Mexico on one side and those cheering on the Dutch on the other :) Went bloody crazy at the end!

In 2010 there was a bar next to West Holts showing games, we spent the back end of the New Zealand vs Italy game with a bunch of very excitable Kiwis, they didn't win but they were dead happy a 0-0 draw knocked the world champions out.

As regards England, after the 2010 debacle, just... no, sod that.

will be heading around a few of the bars to watch the Ireland/Italy game on the Wednesday. I would more than likely just be wandering about drinking anyway, so 2hrs from 8pm-10pm watching that while having a few pints will be a bit of fun, even though Ireland will probably be out before the match starts, let alone after the Italians hammer us!

Edited by ghostdancer1

3 hours ago, JoeyMester said:

I just nipped in there for a beer during the back end of that and had to stay, absolutely brilliant atmosphere with those supporting Mexico on one side and those cheering on the Dutch on the other :) Went bloody crazy at the end!

In 2010 there was a bar next to West Holts showing games, we spent the back end of the New Zealand vs Italy game with a bunch of very excitable Kiwis, they didn't win but they were dead happy a 0-0 draw knocked the world champions out.

As regards England, after the 2010 debacle, just... no, sod that.

It was fantastic. It's those sort of moments that 'football bashers' need to witness. 

I'm going to the Euros and watching a bunch of games including England-Russia, then going back for the final. Not remotely bothered about watching the football at Glasto.

Particularly that second round England game. Chances are it will be against one of the 3rd placed teams, so either England win and you get to see a much more exciting QF game afterwards, or they lose to someone like Turkey or Poland in which case it would've been a massive waste of time.  

There's a fun predictor here for those interested: http://euro2016.eurosport.co.uk

10 minutes ago, Peroni said:

We listened on the Wednesday om a wind up radio at camp.   Didn't bother with rest of the games...

Which brand of wind-up radio do you have, if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking of getting one but I can't decide what's good and what's not.

On 15 April 2016 at 9:27 AM, Yokel Again said:

Having missed the Hold Steady and some of Ray Davies to watch Eng v Germany in 2010... my advice would be, really don't bother! I wouldn't ever again.

Shame, Hold Steady done well.. It was fucking baking too!! Think I was a medium rare by the time they finished 

Does anyone think there really would be a mass exodus off-site to watch the game if England were in the quarter finals (could they be further along by then?)  As a non-football fan, I have no real appreciation of the dedication in the Glasto population at large.  Given the effort involved to get off site, I doubt it somehow.

Would you leave to watch the match, Mr/Ms average football fan?

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Does anyone think there really would be a mass exodus off-site to watch the game if England were in the quarter finals (could they be further along by then?)  As a non-football fan, I have no real appreciation of the dedication in the Glasto population at large.  Given the effort involved to get off site, I doubt it somehow.

Would you leave to watch the match, Mr/Ms average football fan?

Unfortunately, I think yeah there would be a lot of people. At least enough to make it problematic for the organisers.

I wouldn't be among them, no time for Football when there's a Festival to enjoy, but that's probably only because I already made that mistake in 2010.

Just now, fat_man_joe said:

I would be really keen to see football get injected into the mix of stuff going on. There's all manner of other activities at Glastonbury, why should watching one game of football be considered a negative one?

Outside of poor organisation, of course.

Because it's not performing arts.

1 minute ago, fat_man_joe said:

I would be really keen to see football get injected into the mix of stuff going on. There's all manner of other activities at Glastonbury, why should watching one game of football be considered a negative one?

Outside of poor organisation, of course.

100% this.

People seem quite happy for all the other activities to go on in Glastonbury but for some reason football seems to be an activity that people feel the need to vocally disagree with.

if anything, Glastonbury is more suited to showing football than other festivals as there is plenty of other activities going on if you don't like football.

I'm not a rugby fan but if they started showing rugby at Glastonbury I'd simply walk 300 yards in either direction and watch something else,leave them to it.