Screening of Euros?

MissMollyAnna

23 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

When? It's also changed significantly in the past decade. While small groups of people acting like that still exist, you get families and such at matches these days.

(I hate football too, so I'm not defending it, and the 80s/90s hooliganism and such was awful, but it's not the same any more)

(in many ways, it mirrors the changes to Glastonbury, which was also apparently rife with crime/gangs pre-fence, and is now a far more family friendly, middle-class affair, for better or worse)

Really? Just the briefest of google searches suggests otherwise. It's rife. I've seen it with my own eyes.

This article from our friends at the Star gives a nice summary. Report dated April 2016.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/505787/football-hooligans-brawls-fights-police-trains-railway-clubs-Premier-League

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Really? Just the briefest of google searches suggests otherwise. It's rife. I've seen it with my own eyes.

This article from our friends at the Star gives a nice summary. Report dated April 2016.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/505787/football-hooligans-brawls-fights-police-trains-railway-clubs-Premier-League

Even that article you quote from the Star says arrests have reduced. Like I say, it's still an issue, but it's not as pervasive as it once was. I'd still be cautious about showing it at Glastonbury because honestly, I think in some parts it sits on the edge of getting nasty, but always remains on the right side. And I think it's been closer in recent years than it was, say, 5-6 years ago. I do think it'd be a risk to promote something that could cause a small group of people to flip and get violent. There's a legit concern there, and were I in Glastonbury's risk management department, I'd be flagging that up (along with the risks related to not showing it, to the surrounding area).

But 95% of people would be able to enjoy it with no bother, I'm not comfortable with tarring them all with the same brush. There's a difference there.

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Even that article you quote from the Star says arrests have reduced. Like I say, it's still an issue, but it's not as pervasive as it once was. I'd still be cautious about showing it at Glastonbury because honestly, I think in some parts it sits on the edge of getting nasty, but always remains on the right side. And I think it's been closer in recent years than it was, say, 5-6 years ago. I do think it'd be a risk to promote something that could cause a small group of people to flip and get violent. There's a legit concern there, and were I in Glastonbury's risk management department, I'd be flagging that up (along with the risks related to not showing it, to the surrounding area).

But 95% of people would be able to enjoy it with no bother, I'm not comfortable with tarring them all with the same brush. There's a difference there.

I must admit I didnt read beyond the sensational headline of that article...

Football and glastonbury are just so many miles apart in what they stand for and represent that it baffles me to think it deserves a place at the festival.

21 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I must admit I didnt read beyond the sensational headline of that article...

Football and glastonbury are just so many miles apart in what they stand for and represent that it baffles me to think it deserves a place at the festival.

You're aware that in the 80s and to an extent the early 90s, Glastonbury was kinda lumped in with stuff like that in terms of violent counter-cultural stuff?

21 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

You're aware that in the 80s and to an extent the early 90s, Glastonbury was kinda lumped in with stuff like that in terms of violent counter-cultural stuff?

Yep, but that was made up by the authorities. Football violence is a very, very real thing. I've seen it! Almost every weekend!

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yep, but that was made up by the authorities. Football violence is a very, very real thing. I've seen it! Almost every weekend!

Which ground did you live by out of curiosity? You live in SE London so the most likely club is Millwall.  That lot are, and always have been, a pack of animals. They still embrace the disgraceful behaviour that the vast majority of right minded people find abhorrent.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Which ground did you live by out of curiosity? You live in SE London so the most likely club is Millwall.  That lot are, and always have been, a pack of animals. They still embrace the disgraceful behaviour that the vast majority of right minded people find abhorrent.

Nah it was goodison park. I think the nearest football team to me now is charlton.

Not being much of a football fan, due to lots of reasons (Corruption, money involved,) and the fact It makes me cringe as much as watching David Brent in the office, I would have to say that it would be blessing to go somewhere like Glastonbury and not have to see any whatsoever! I really don't think it's the place for it, but that's just my opinion.

Perhaps they could tuck a 14in screen away somewhere for the die hards who really can't bare to be without it!

Glastonbury is a place to switch off and distance yourself in every way possible from modern society, for just 5 short and valuable days!