Screening of Euros?

MissMollyAnna

27 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

The Columbia game in 1998 was amazing though.

not how i remember it!  fair enough, England won, but standing in the pissing rain in the old outdoor cinema field for two hours struggling to see the screen wasn't much fun.

still better than watching the Foo Fighters though.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, MissMollyAnna said:

Would be awesome to get a field of people singing don't take me home though...

Don't take me home, please don't take me home, I just don't wanna go to work. I wanna stay here, and drink all your beer, please don't take me home.

Doesn't this sum Glasto up?

Not really.  It's a cider drinkers festival.

Is it time to trot out my standard post yet? Ok then...

We managed with a radio against Argentina in 86 and Egypt in 90, although only one of them was a defeat :)

Personally, after tent is up I'll be spending Wednesday looking for somewhere to watch Eire/Italy but if we still had an outdoor cinema I'd be pushing for all the football. Not sure how or where any England, Wales or Northern Ireland games could be shown over the weekend these days, so I'll probably be up above the Park with a mediumwave radio...

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I think they're likely to screen any England matches, cos otherwise there's the risk of a mass flood of people off site and back on again, and it's probably an easier management job to get in some screens.

But where would they put it? You'd need a space large enough not to cause crowding issues. Which is basically Pyramid or maybe Other.

2010 was a weird one, as they'd hugely expanded the site that year in terms of camping. So they just made a couple of those fields 'football fields'. They're camping now, and they fill up by Thursday morning. Unless everyone agrees to bring smaller tents again this year so they can have the space, that's not an option.

Have to admit, in 2014 I half expected to see remnants of the management plan in place. A weird unmarked camping field, or big bit of empty ground not used for anything. But it didn't happen. I don't think we knew until the week of the festival it wouldn't be needed, but there was no indication anything was in place.

It's either show it on the Pyramid and move band times around, or do something more creative to solve the "people leaving the site" issue. As in not allow pass-outs at key times, or showing it somewhere offsite and offering shuttle buses (that's an appealing solution, as the number of people that will go and watch it if it's being show on site is far higher than the number of people that would bother with the additional faff of leaving, getting a bus, watching it, then getting a bus back, then getting back in - maybe Bath and West could work for that?).

Or y'know, maybe Michael doesn't care if a load of people leave the site because he's secretly moving the festival and only needs to get a license one more time :D

9 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But where would they put it? You'd need a space large enough not to cause crowding issues. Which is basically Pyramid or maybe Other.

Nope. In a year no so long ago, they found space for two different sets of screens.

I'm not sure where they were tho, cos I watched in one of the bars.

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

not how i remember it!  fair enough, England won, but standing in the pissing rain in the old outdoor cinema field for two hours struggling to see the screen wasn't much fun.

Was not a fun experience that was made worse on the wander back to the Pyramid to find Robbie bloody Williams on. 

Going to France for a week to watch some games, get back on the Tuesday then straight down to Pilton the day after for the festival. Great 40th celebrations!

Agree with most on here, will not be fussed about watching any games whilst at Glastonbury. Will get a mate to text me the scores and watch the highlights on Monday night.

This is my first Glastonbury in the text message/ Smartphone era - in previous years I had to buy newspapers on site to catch up with sport news! Do they still sell them?!

Just now, eFestivals said:

Nope. In a year no so long ago, they found space for two different sets of screens.

I'm not sure where they were tho, cos I watched in one of the bars.

2010. It was the year they added a ton of new camping - basically all the north-west camping fields were new for 2010. Bushy went from crew to public camping, and they added Rivermead, Pylon and Darble. Huge swathes of space designed to cater for the increasing crew capacity and people bringing bigger tents over the next however many years.

The football field was in Bushy http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/sundays-england-game-to-be-shown-in-football-field/ (though I've got vague memories of them adding a second along the north of the site too). Bushy is now full on Wednesdays.They'd have a serious space problem if they closed that off from camping now. It worked in 2010 through sheer pleasant coincidence- it was the first year they were adding these fields, they could just add three rather than four of them and it'd be fine.

But removing camping space that's been there for five years is a very different prospect to just not adding a bit of the extra they were going to.

Now, that's not to say the same thing can't happen again. We've not seen the 2016 map, maybe they've secured more land and have planned to add a bunch more camping or parking space that could be used as a one-off football field. It's possible, but doesn't seem likely given the difficulties with surrounding land owners.

2010 was a weird exception that can't be easily replicated.

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

2010. It was the year they added a ton of new camping - basically all the north-west camping fields were new for 2010. Bushy went from crew to public camping, and they added Rivermead, Pylon and Darble. Huge swathes of space designed to cater for the increasing crew capacity and people bringing bigger tents over the next however many years.

The football field was in Bushy http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/sundays-england-game-to-be-shown-in-football-field/ (though I've got vague memories of them adding a second along the north of the site too). Bushy is now full on Wednesdays.They'd have a serious space problem if they closed that off from camping now. It worked in 2010 through sheer pleasant coincidence- it was the first year they were adding these fields, they could just add three rather than four of them and it'd be fine.

But removing camping space that's been there for five years is a very different prospect to just not adding a bit of the extra they were going to.

Now, that's not to say the same thing can't happen again. We've not seen the 2016 map, maybe they've secured more land and have planned to add a bunch more camping or parking space that could be used as a one-off football field. It's possible, but doesn't seem likely given the difficulties with surrounding land owners.

2010 was a weird exception that can't be easily replicated.

We camped on Bushy that year when our usual spot became crew camping and the next couple and was a great spot and really got busier, earlier each year - found better last year though

We watched the Germany game in 2010 in a big field up the hill on the East of the site that was technically outside of the festival. It was really weird up there.. It was roasting hot and there was no shade anywhere.  They were selling water and beer out of the back of a lorry.

When Germany scored the 3rd the majority of us fucked it off but then had to queue for 15 minutes to get back into the festival as they checked our wrist bands.

Never again!

EDIT - it was in the field with the heart in it on google maps here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1538351,-2.5735476,409m/data=!3m1!1e3 

Edited by Junglist1981

6 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

We watched the Germany game in 2010 in a big field up the hill on the East of the site that was technically outside of the festival. It was really weird up there.. It was roasting hot and there was no shade anywhere.  They were selling water and beer out of the back of a lorry.

When Germany scored the 3rd the majority of us fucked it off but then had to queue for 15 minutes to get back into the festival as they checked our wrist bands.

Never again!

Can't for the life of me find on Google where this was - found this snippet from the BBC. It looks like Bushy was the intended location (and used as such) but there were concerns as to over-crowding, leading to the last minute opening of the field you're referring to:

Organisers were forced to find a second field to show the game on big screens after discussions with police.

An empty field outside the site was earmarked. The two designated football arenas accommodated 80,000 fans.

Opening the new field and providing toilets, screens and water cost £50,000, Mr Eavis said.

10 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Can't for the life of me find on Google where this was - found this snippet from the BBC. It looks like Bushy was the intended location (and used as such) but there were concerns as to over-crowding, leading to the last minute opening of the field you're referring to:

18 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

EDIT - it was in the field with the heart in it on google maps here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1538351,-2.5735476,409m/data=!3m1!1e3 

Pretty sure that's where it was, although I could well be mistaken. 

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

I mercifully was only 13 at the time so was able to squeeze into a decent spot, atmosphere was pretty good as I remember it too, although due to my age at the time I may well have misremembered through rose tinted specs! At the time I wasn't fussed by the rain all weekend to be fair, didn't bother me a bit.

31 minutes ago, big__phil said:

I'll give it miss methinks. Far more interesting things to do than watch England stutter to a 0-0 draw. Also the prospect of Alan Shearer's face on a massive screen terrifies me a little.

16357.jpg

I'm a big football fan so I'd be well up for watching if there was nothing that interested me on elsewhere, watched England v Italy at Hurricane Festival in Germany in 2012 and, despite the result, was a great experience. However:

If they win the group they'll probably clash with The Last Shadow Puppets who I'm not missing for anything

If they come 2nd they'll be playing Monday night which would be ideal, but I'll probably be asleep

If they only come 3rd in a group with Wales, Slovakia and Russia then tbh I'm not sure I really want to watch them against a winner of another group like Spain or Germany.

Just now, big__phil said:

Beat me to it!! I assume that's your desktop background on your PC?

:lol: Nah, that would be Kevin Keegan celebrating on the night we won promotion to the Premiership.