Adele sub headliner?

Mark Pooler

7 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Beyonce subbing would be baffling. Why would she do it when she's bigger than she was last time she headlined and could just headline in the next few years instead?

that was just about my exact reply back to the guy who said it.

Even so, while I think it's one of the more unlikely possibilities, I don't think it's completely impossible. Beyonce's UK tour starts a few days after Glastonbury.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

radiohead have just signed to XL Recordings, home of Adele. It still fits better than any alternative. I reckon you're all going to be disppointed, and it'll be a big let down when things are revealed,  but it's by far and away the least ridiculous suggestion on this thread.

1 hour ago, Martin Ashford said:

Adele being the biggest act in the World means the sub could be a VERY big name in theory. So is it not beyond the bounds of possibility that it could be someone like AC/DC, Beyoncé, Bruce Springsteen, David Gilmour. There's a few of them active this summer. On the other hand, it could be The Lumineers.

Gilmour will never ever play the festival after.........ahhhh forget it.

37 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This reminds me of the speculation a few years back about who would possibly open the Other Stage on the Friday.

Would it be Bowie?  Prince?  Daft Punk?

Then the Kaiser Chiefs walked out.

In my head I read that to the tune of Que Sera Sera.

23 minutes ago, Mardy said:

radiohead have just signed to XL Recordings, home of Adele. It still fits better than any alternative. I reckon you're all going to be disppointed, and it'll be a big let down when things are revealed,  but it's by far and away the least ridiculous suggestion on this thread.

Yep.

If Adele was really dithering about whether to do it or not, there's a strong likelihood, I think, that the fest would have looked to having a band before her they could bump up.

Or alternatively, based on what Adele had said about not regarding her output as festival headliner material, a band might have been booked before her to give the crowd that more normal headliner aspect.

The main reason people seem to think it just couldn't happen is because they think RH wouldn't play below someone. While that's not a nutty idea, bands have to be realistic about such things during their career both on the way up and on the way down, otherwise they won't get bookings. Adele is the biggest act in the world, so it's no shame for any act to play before her.

It may or may not happen, but I don't think it's a particularly odd thing if it does.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If Bey shows then surely its with Chris and the lads on Sunday night. 

again, that was one of my replies to the guy who suggested it.

But her before Adele still doesn't seem an off-the-scale nutty idea all the same. Just as I wrote about RH giving a more-normal headliner experience before Adele, Beyonce could do that too - and is a better fit.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

But her before Adele still doesn't seem an off-the-scale nutty idea all the same. Just as I wrote about RH giving a more-normal headliner experience before Adele, Beyonce could do that too - and is a better fit.

i feel like Beyonce would totally overshadow Adele's appearance. guess same could be said for Radiohead, but a large portion of Adele fans won't give a shit about Radiohead, whereas i'm sure the fanbase of Adele and Beyonce overlaps by a large amount. Beyonce being announced last minute as going on before Adele would take away any excitement or wow factor Adele's already questionable for some headliner performance would bring. if Beyonce appears, it's for a song or two with Coldplay rather than a full on set imo

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it also gives strength to emilys thoughts  of a strong female presence

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

it also gives strength to emilys thoughts  of a strong female presence

yep, that was part of matey's reasoning with his idea of Beyonce.

As I say, I think it's one of the more unlikely ideas, but in the absence of any particularly likely ideas I'm not dismissing it entirely.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yep, that was part of matey's reasoning with his idea of Beyonce.

As I say, I think it's one of the more unlikely ideas, but in the absence of any particularly likely ideas I'm not dismissing it entirely.

I'd love to hear some of your more likely ideas. Personally I'm still holding out for a don Henley appearance anywhere. Any day is good

Edited by Heather90
I can't read apparently

2 hours ago, djcolsen said:

Is kendrick Lamar even a possibility? Would love it if it was

Hmm. I thought he was more or less ruled out because he was down to play Essence (in New Orleans) a day or two before Hyde Park. He's now down to play that the day after, so it seems somewhat promising.

edit: tho now I remember, he was listed as an exclusive for Hyde Park. So possibly not that promising. Could however be a reason why he wouldn't have been on the poster.

Edited by dentalplan

3 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Im obviously a bit late to this party, but why do people think that the act subbing for adele isn't already on the list? Where has this 'special guests' talk come from?

No one knows for sure.

But, based on where others are known or thought to be playing, there doesn't appear to be an act on the list of big enough size to be playing before Adele.

If you think there is, we're open to suggestions.

Edited by eFestivals

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

No one knows for sure.

But, based on where others are known or thought to be playing, there doesn't appear to be an act on the list of big enough size to be playing before Adele.

I had briefly wondered if it might have been The Last Shadow Puppets, but surely it would be common knowledge by now if they were 

I'd be totally made up if it were Carole King or Stevie Wonder before their upcoming BST appearances, but not really likely as they are touted as 'exclusive's.for Hyde Pk

Rihanna's in the country, but in Coventry on the Saturday (so we can't even talk to her to ask....). She's free on the Sunday though so could pop along to guest with the Chillylads

1 minute ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I had briefly wondered if it might have been The Last Shadow Puppets, but surely it would be common knowledge by now if they were 

the suspicion on them is that they're 3rd from top.

The subs on Friday and Sunday are Foals and Ellie Goulding, and LSP would be a far smaller act for the biggest day.

2 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

You've been awful quiet around here lately Gaz

This post helps me understand why

Went on holidays for 3 weeks and there is nothing really to speak about until the final poster. Kind of a bit boring now other than having a little check.

49 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

State of Thom Yorke's voice last night it might be him that's chickening out of going on before Adele.

His voice is always shit.

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

No one knows for sure.

So Disclosure are big enough to co-headline to 80k (okay we know they aren't), and big enough to headline Other stage but Disclosure aren't?. Both The Prodigy and The Chem Bros do this slot and would sub the Pyramid but don't as I expect full darkness is a factor.