Who would play....if Glastonbury didn't pay?

parsonjack

Lot of criticism on here over Pyramid headliners.....so here's a thought....

What if, for 2019, Eavis announces that GFL won't pay appearance fees for any act and all acts, including headliners, have to be entirely self funding?

How would that impact a. the quality of acts that chose to play, b. the number of acts that chose to play, and c. the demand for tickets?

Would you still go...or would it even make you more keen to go?  Would it herald the death of the Festival, or a rebirth?

First thoughts would be that major established acts could afford it more but may be more money orientated and not willing to do a freebie, and that smaller less established acts would be more willing given the exposure they stand to gain.....

I think that it would still appeal to both ends of the spectrum. 

Both the 'biggest' and 'smallest' acts would play for the exposure and coverage that comes with Glastonbury. 

I guess the middle tier acts, in terms of size, would be the ones who would choose to play elsewhere for the money on offer. 

Edited by st dan

I think it would be the end of the festival as it is now. Whether that's a good or bad thing is down to individual preference.

eFestivals has a small group of Glastonbury lovers who appreciate the smaller stages, lesser known acts etc, and although they'll clutch at straws for the likes of Radiohead to headline, they wont stop going just because Radiohead don't headline.

The masses on the other hand are very interested in who is headlining and could potentially put their tickets back in the pot after this year's headliner announcements. 

I think if Glastonbury stopped paying, they could still draw in decent enough headliners, but the rest of the line up on the main stages would be a lost cause when it comes to pleasing the masses and I think that would massively affect ticket sales and the size of the festival.

I don't think it would just be the end of the festival as we know it, I think there simply wouldn't be a festival at all.  Maybe if they paid expenses something would happen, but telling the bands it was self funded? They wouldn't be able to put the thing on at all.

I'd play if they asked I suppose, but that would be rubbish.

almost no professional musicians would play, i'd say none of the ones that would make the initial poster would be arsed, or more specifically, their management wouldn't allow it. plenty of other festivals around the world that weekend that pay better money as it is (and keep acts away from Glastonbury).

it'd end up with loads of unknown acts hoping to make it big, although i'm sure loads of the "unknown" acts that play this year wouldn't bother if they weren't getting paid as it probably wouldn't be worth their while for most.

my friends are in a band that have travelled over from Ireland a few times, and said that they wouldn't bother if they didn't get paid, as at the end of the day, it's just another gig on the summer festival circuit for them.

there isn't a hope i'd shell out money to go if there was a bunch of nobodies, i'm primarily going for the music, anything extra is just a bonus.

29 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

A friend of mine's in an act that get asked to play most years and turn it down as it's basically just for a free ticket - and with all the travel expenses coming down from Edinburgh he'd have to work and still end up out of pocket.

My brother is a musician and in a band. Just finished a tour, great reviews, album got a bit of positive press etc and they can barely afford to play when they do get paid. 

Travelling to Somerset, paying for everyone to stay in a hotel, food, security for the gear and all to play for 45 minutes in front of 100 people in small tent at 2pm somewhere. Would be the death of the festival. Which is why it'll never happen. 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

My brother is a musician and in a band. Just finished a tour, great reviews, album got a bit of positive press etc and they can barely afford to play when they do get paid. 

Travelling to Somerset, paying for everyone to stay in a hotel, food, security for the gear and all to play for 45 minutes in front of 100 people in small tent at 2pm somewhere. Would be the death of the festival. Which is why it'll never happen. 

To be fair that's how a lot of the small tents do book things at the moment.