Wednesday and Thursday Recommendations

A Guy Called Matt

1 hour ago, pjdboy said:

Start your Wednesday evening at the Sensation Seekers stage opening ceremony (Glastonbury opening ceremony) followed by the Wheel of Four Tunes.

No better way to get you excited for the days to come.

(Wo4T also do the Thursday night too if you miss the Wednesday ^_^)

This was going off on the sunday night as well! fantastic stage pretty much all the time (the performers are so interesting during the day as well) but its a great spectacle at night especially on the way into the SE corner

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

One year on the Thursday a few of us went on a wander, ended up finding the stone dragon for the first time, having a game of mini golf in a little tent, going on the helter skelter in Avalon, things like that, It was a really good day! 

It's all about the Wander :)

I went on that helter skelter last year, managed to get the skin ripped off both my knees and both my elbows :( 

personally, I like to spend Wednesday newbie spotting. Love seeing the looks on their faces!

Wednesday day time was spent getting to know the people in my camp. Then I went off on my own to the EFests meet and after that went to the green fields for a bit of music.

Thursday I was mostly hungover but got myself together and wandered around the site a bit. Then I went and saw Mike Skinner at Stonebridge which was pretty decent, many beers were drunk. Then I went to Shangri La which was absolutely packed and I didn't enjoy it so went back to Green Fields to the Mandala Tent.

This year I got plans to do a bar crawl that will lead me around the whole of the site and end at 6PM at the efests meet. I'll then probs just go to Green Futures again in the evening.

Don't have a clue what I'll do on Thursday night. Probably wheel of four tunes.

1 hour ago, GlastoLuvvinJock said:

The last 2 years we have seen a brilliant Ska band called "the guns of Navarone" play in the rocket lounge on the Wednesday night, absolutely brilliant.

I have meant to go and see them but not yet got there - last year at West Holts on Saturday night I was chatting to a bloke at the front who turned out to be their drummer.

Williams Green was far too busy last year - at the end of Wolf Alice loads had no idea Catfish had been cancelled so were pushing their way in kicking over prams etc on their way. Thank fully a wise security man helped us lift the pram over the barrier to safety..... we were outside the tent at the edge as were the family with the pram who did that to keep out the walk ways!

Always go to The Stone Circles Wednesday night, the opening ceremony is a great way to start the festival.

Thursday last year we watched The Lounge Kittens absolutely nail it in the West Holts Bar and then went to Wheel of Fourtunes which I would def recommend if they are there again this year.

I have to agree with everyone that has advised the "Wander" option. Granted I've only been twice but both years I've just had a walk around the festival and you will always find something to entertain you. I seem to find myself in the green fields a lot on the first 2 days.

At the risk of looking like a bit of an amateur though I've never been to Shangri La on either of the f irst 2 days as I was under the impression it didn't open until Friday? Is this not right? :huh:

I am looking forward to the meet up on the Wednesday. I never got the opportunity to go to it last year and after boring everyone shitless on here for the last 2 years, it will be nice to show people I am not that bad.

On the Thursday I am hoping to pull some shapes to some old skool rave/ piano house tunes :-)

Brothers Bar Wed/Thursday afternoon, Avalon Inn bar the same. Both times of the day great to head to the Greenfields as there are usually plenty of singalongs, piano players etc, the bandstand up there also has cool performances. The area over where Arcadia was usually has something going on, the park is a lot of fun Thursday afternoon, a karaoke stall is up there as well. Baggy Monday on Thursday evening is a must, gets you buzzing for the weekend but does help if they don't put a large act for that tent on before making it impossible to get anywhere close to inside unless you arrive an hour early, one in don't be afraid to wander to the side a pee and you can't get out and back in!. The entrance to the circus fields coming away from the WHs field usually has something fun going on within the corner area, and while around there, the Williams Green Guilty Pleasures on Thursday afternoon is great.

Wednesday - put tent up, have a well deserved beer watching other people arrive and putting tents up. Have a look through the programme. Have a Bimble around, finding bearings, checking out where favourite food laces are in case they have moved, noting down any new and interesting ones. Wander their markets. Just relax knowing your are home. Have a few beers up at flagtopia or above the Park, watch the sun set. Relax. 

Thursday - another bimble around enjoying some food and beer. Thursday afternoon is spent sampling the real ales at the Accoustic bar and then a few more at the Avalon Inn.vThursday evening is some music (never go near Williams Green as too busy), Croisant Neuf is good for this, maybe to the naughty corner.

At some point I'll no doubt catch Rodney Branigan, some gubbins on the Bandstand, a bit of Kamikaze Karaoke,  see what's afoot in Avalon Cafe, hopefully Michael Eavis with the Vodka Jelly Shots Karaoke Band, sit up on the hill beyond the sign, attend the meet, maybe Guilty Pleasures, Mik Artistic,  laugh myself silly, get caught discussing if anyone juggling is a c**t or not, Beans on Toast, welcome home longdrop, grin a lot and then decide what to do once the festival properly starts.

Another big recommendation for Wheel Of Four Tunes on the Thursday night. They have become the focal point of our Glasto weekend and haven't missed a show of theirs since stumbling across them 2011. They normally play Thursday, Friday, Saturday nights on Sensation Seekers 1am-3am. If the thought of leaving all music snobbery at the door and enjoying dancing your nut off to Cheese, Rock, Motown, Ska, 90s, 80s, Disco, and Power Ballads with sheer abandon while 2 guys dressed as Power Rangers work the crowd into a frenzy, then look no further!  It's like Guilty Pleasures on Acid. 

8 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

At some point I'll no doubt catch Rodney Branigan, some gubbins on the Bandstand, a bit of Kamikaze Karaoke,  see what's afoot in Avalon Cafe, hopefully Michael Eavis with the Vodka Jelly Shots Karaoke Band, sit up on the hill beyond the sign, attend the meet, maybe Guilty Pleasures, Mik Artistic,  laugh myself silly, get caught discussing if anyone juggling is a c**t or not, Beans on Toast, welcome home longdrop, grin a lot and then decide what to do once the festival properly starts.

I'll second mik artistic, great cocktails in the fluffy rock at good prices too 

54 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Ah yes, Rodney Branigan is always a good watch.

wed saw Mr E do a bit of singsong in the avalon field BONUS and on thurs we got married which was amazing only we lost the push chair that had our drink in seems my son in law  was SO happy he got drunk and as it was only his second glasto it took him an age to find camp lol ..................with the pushchair which didnt have all that much drink left lol........

mind you after the getting married bit i cant remember much lol

Was on my own on the Wednesday last year so went to the fireworks for the first time which was definitely worth a look. Shared some of my boxed rose with a nice chap who offered me a choice of ket or coke in return.

Other favourite activities include sitting on the hill near the park,  sitting on the bit near avalon and sitting near the west holts. 

Last few years on Thursday the blues has hosted some big name techno types if that's your thing although the crowds and low sound meant you had to fairly close to hear the music. 

15 minutes ago, rebus said:

I always plan to take it easy on Wednesday but always end up totally overdoing it,  just too excited.

Thursday is R&R.  Regret and recovery.

Regret??

I know what you are saying about the excited bit though, I was grinning like a Cheshire cat from getting in the car on the Tuesday night, till throwing up on the Thursday morning :-)

5 minutes ago, rubenz said:

Was on my own on the Wednesday last year so went to the fireworks for the first time which was definitely worth a look. Shared some of my boxed rose with a nice chap who offered me a choice of ket or coke in return.

Other favourite activities include sitting on the hill near the park,  sitting on the bit near avalon and sitting near the west holts. 

Last few years on Thursday the blues has hosted some big name techno types if that's your thing although the crowds and low sound meant you had to fairly close to hear the music. 

You would have to be a brave man to accept either of them.

16 minutes ago, Earthwindandfire2205 said:

I usually work on the Wednesday day then hit the brothers bar big time. Thursday always nimble around, eat a veggie salad in the Green fields then dance till sunrise in the silent disco in Silver Hayes 

Ah, good shout. Forgot about that. Stumbled across it accidently in 2014 and thought it was awesome. Decided to try something different last year but reckon I'll be back there this year. Brilliant way to spend a Wednesday before heading over to the silent disco (Which is easy to get back from when drunk as I camp in Oxlyers)

1 hour ago, rebus said:

I always plan to take it easy on Wednesday but always end up totally overdoing it,  just too excited.

Thursday is R&R.  Regret and recovery.

Really i found that if you go full pelt on wednesday through to thursday is the way to go. That way you get a few hours kip on the Friday morning/Thursday night all set and refreshed (well as much as you can be in Glastonbury) for the start of the weekend.

I think its unreasonable to try and contain yourself on the Wednesday after waiting a full year, in my case 2 full years, to get back to the green fields of Glastonbury

Frist stop on Wednesday is the Brothers bar

second is a wander up the park eventually making our way to the Glastonbury sign to look out over the site and appreciate the wonder of it all

then sit up by the park for a while smoking and drinking

stumble back down the park and fine the postcard stall, earn some brownie points by sending my wife a post card

after that it's just wander and see takes us

22 hours ago, gibsr said:

I'll be arriving on the Tuesday (CV Fields)

Just planning on snoozing and boozing unless anyone has any knowledge of things going on, on the wrong side of the fence.

:D

There's nothing organised, but if you're in CV East head to the top of the 'hill of death' and sit and take in the lovely view over the festival site, many do.