West Holts 2016 - would love to see list

Rumblestripe

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this year, on the friday, i wandered down to watch Gaslamp Killer, but it pissed down, so i went into the West Holts bar, just off to the side, which was predictably heaving.  they were playing that exact Erasure tune and everyone was singing along, even to the high notes.

I was in there, it was great. Good old singalong to Spandau's Gold too - a group of Yanks standing next to us had to ask us what the song was, they'd genuinely never heard of it.

I was in there, it was great. Good old singalong to Spandau's Gold too - a group of Yanks standing next to us had to ask us what the song was, they'd genuinely never heard of it.

yeah, it was one of those funny moments when the weather changed everybody's plans, cos you can pretty much guarantee not many set off that day planning to do that!

I think its been mentioned elsewhere, but HALL & OATES!!! 

Saw The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band open the stage early on Sunday a two years ago. Would love to see them again, but bumped up a few slots.  They were brilliant.  Played the festival on a few other stages but I think West Holts is the one for them.

And speaking of Daptones (and Antibalas) he played something by this lot, which got my ears a perking up.

http://theholyforest.com

Holy Forest is the brainchild of musician and filmmaker Jon Fine. Wearing a number of hats on this record as producer, instrumentalist and songwriter, he enlisted friends and collaborators on a genre-blending project recorded in The Gambia, NYC, Woodstock and San Francisco.

The seeds of the recording sessions, spanning 3 years, were planted on a trip to the Makasutu Forest, a lush, green wilderness of mangrove swamps that line the River Gambia. While there, Fine connected with legendary griot Tata Din Din Jobarteh and the project was born. 

With an intimate knowledge of music across genres and styles, Fine reached out to a number of critically acclaimed musicians including members of Antibalas, singer-songwriter Morley, Grammy nominated kora master, Youssoupha Sidibe and rising Gambian star ST. Digging even deeper, he brought in BK afro punks No Surrender, Bay area singer Sparlha Swa, and the criminally underrated Harlem soul man, Ed “Preachermann” Holley to craft a collection of songs about love and distance. Holy Forest is 21st century cross-continental roots music.