Jcatley

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say that this is a good line-up, in the sense that it appeals to people who like pop/dance/radio friendly type music i.e the typical radio 1 listener.  On the other hand this is a terrible line-up in the sense that this is not what I would expect from a festival that has its roots as an indie/rock band festival. This clearly is a statement from the V Festival organisers that they are now indeed a pop festival and I don't think there's any going back (well at least for the foreseeable future). It's been a fairly slow transition - each year since 2010 there has been one rock and one pop headliner/sub-headliner - but this is the one where they've just gone all out and booked 2 pop headliners/sub-headliners, with only a slithering of guitar bands on the line-up. I would argue that if you want something different, then head to another festival - there's so many around these days that you will definitely find something for you.

Edited by PeterGregory

The style of music suits me personally and I'm actually excited by the headliners, but having been to V in 2014 and 2015 I've already seen Kaiser Chiefs, Bastille, Jess Glynne twice, Rita Ora, Tinie Tempah and Example twice. Plus had chance to see Katy B, John Newman and All Saints. Looking forward to seeing the Kaiser Chiefs again as they were a highlight in 2014, and will happily see some of the others again, but other than the headliners the rest doesn't leave me particularly excited.

7 minutes ago, PeterGregory said:

I'd say that this is a good line-up, in the sense that it appeals to people who like pop/dance/radio friendly type music i.e the typical radio 1 listener.  On the other hand this is a terrible line-up in the sense that this is not what I would expect from a festival that has its roots as an indie/rock band festival. This clearly is a statement from the V Festival organisers that they are now indeed a pop festival and I don't think there's any going back (well at least for the foreseeable future). It's been a fairly slow transition - each year since 2010 there has been one rock and one pop headliner/sub-headliner - but this is the one where they've just gone all out and booked 2 pop headliners/sub-headliners, with only a slithering of guitar bands on the line-up. I would argue that if you want something different, then head to another festival - there's so many around these days that you will definitely find something for you.

Good point. This is the only festival that caters well for that pop/dance/radio friendly type music and it's ideal for me. Just a shame it's from a festival which used to cater to such a different audience as that will obviously leave some people disappointed.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

So who is thought for who the 2nd stage headers are? 

No doubt that it's worst set of headers ever. I would probably watch Glynne, Faithless, Bugg, Travis and Y&Ys so that's not so bad but never going to go.

Probably Faithless and Guetta. Would make sense Sia subbing, but cant see who would sub Rihanna, maybe bastille?

4 weekend (no camping) tickets for Chelmsford for sale .... after 20 years I'm out ..... always hung on by the tips of my fingers as its my once a year trip back home, but I'm done. Its evolved into something I'm not interested in, I'm glad for the people who are super excited, but for me I'm done

Last band seen at V Stereophonics, near to the front, was a brilliant set .... and it feels right to bail out now

1 minute ago, Funkyfairy! said:

4 weekend (no camping) tickets for Chelmsford for sale .... after 20 years I'm out ..... always hung on by the tips of my fingers as its my once a year trip back home, but I'm done. Its evolved into something I'm not interested in, I'm glad for the people who are super excited, but for me I'm done

Last band seen at V Stereophonics, near to the front, was a brilliant set .... and it feels right to bail out now

I'm in a similar boat, been to Weston Park every year since 04. Very sad to say i wont be there this year.  I too have been hanging on hoping they would still keep some of the indie roots but alas they havnt. 

Massivly disappointed.  

I haven't been for many years, and it's obviously a completely different festival now. But maybe that's OK. We're always complaining that all festival bills are the same, and V has evidently decided to carve out its own identity. It gives you a very clear choice between that and, say, Reading now. Maybe that'll help them both.

52 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

So who is thought for who the 2nd stage headers are? 

No doubt that it's worst set of headers ever. I would probably watch Glynne, Faithless, Bugg, Travis and Y&Ys so that's not so bad but never going to go.

Surely it's just:

1 day - Bieber, Sia, Bastile

Faithless, Jake Bugg

Other day - Rhianna, Guetta, Jess Glynee

Kaiser Chiefs, Years and Years

something similar to that anyway.

21 minutes ago, DTichborne said:

I haven't been for many years, and it's obviously a completely different festival now. But maybe that's OK. We're always complaining that all festival bills are the same, and V has evidently decided to carve out its own identity. It gives you a very clear choice between that and, say, Reading now. Maybe that'll help them both.

Its definately OK, V is carving its own niche, its evolved... we've just not evolved in the same direction, and thats fine. Its been a great 20 years, some amazing memories with great friends. Best one - being invited to watch stereophonics from side of the stage 3 years ago, or dancing so hard to Faithless that a random lady shook our hands afterwards and put VIP wristbands on us for 'making her day' - we missed the headliners for the proper VIP area with free drink, food etc ---- I remember going into the kitchen as the chef wanted to carve me fresh salmon .... oh the randomness of many amazing memories

I hope everyone who goes has an amazing time x